Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Essendon looks for scientific edge

spacer.gif
Monday, 15 September 2008
Louis Cameron for essendonfc.com.au
Page 1 of 1
Essendon Football Club (EFC), in conjunction with the School of Human Movement and Sport Sciences, University of Ballarat (UB) are looking for enthusiastic candidates to apply for a tax-free Postgraduate Scholarship.

A key aim of the EFC-UB alignment is the development of an applied sport science research program leading to best practice high performance initiatives for the club and high quality research outcomes for the university.

As a result of the equitable system created by the AFL draft and salary cap, all clubs are looking for that competitive-edge that will provide an on-field performance advantage.

“Sport science and technology has played a major role in the rapid evolution of our game over the last 10-years,” Essendon Sport Science Manager, Jason Berry, said.

“Coaches are driving this evolution, demanding players be smarter in game-play, to kick straighter, and to run faster, for longer.”

Berry points to the introduction of two new teams, Gold Coast and Western Sydney, and the subsequent introduction of 88 new players into the system, as a reason to improve research in AFL clubs.

“The temporary thinning of the elite AFL talent pool will force clubs to search even harder for performance innovations that may assist player development and secure a winning edge,” Berry said.

The successful candidate will be based at Essendon Football Club and will be on an annual salary of at least $25,000 for 3 years, beginning in 2009.

In addition to this, bonus scholarship payments are available each year, depending upon the completion of milestones aligned to the PhD program.

The chosen candidate will undertake research in one of the EFC-UB High Performance Alignment priority areas:
- Physiology
- Skill Acquisition
- Performance Analysis
“The EFC-UB research program and subsequent knowledge building will play a major role in the maintenance of ‘best practice’ high performance service delivery to the players and coaches of the club,” Mr Berry said.

"This scholarship should be seen as an excellent opportunity for candidates to gain invaluable experience working at an elite sporting club. It will give the successful candidate a fantastic insight into the operations of a high-level sporting club."
Candidates need to submit their applications by 5pm, Friday 31 October 2008.

Merely a coincidence we have a new high performance coach and now we're investing in the above?!?

Great to see that the club is really committed to improving our fitness and reversing our horrible injury history in the past few years.

However, I worried about spending all this time and our resources... Then relying on a raw, untested, 'straight out of uni' apprentice. :confused:

Great to see that the club is really committed to improving our fitness and reversing our horrible injury history in the past few years.

However, I worried about spending all this time and our resources... Then relying on a raw, untested, 'straight out of uni' apprentice. :confused:

While true that the net gain for Essendon of one extra RCT being added to the evidence base is not going to have a big impact...

Having a research internship is a clear message that EFC is commited to scientific, best practice sports medicine. Having fresh blood and new ideas fresh from university can sometimes be a good thing as it is easy for professionals to not be so up to date with best practice as they go through their career. Having a research intern sends a good message to everyone that EFC has a culture of state of the art, evidence based sports medicine.

Besides all that, we all know EFC strongly believes in its charitible persuits and this really would be a very exciting opportunity for a young sports scientist.

i may be wrong, but i was pretty sure we had some alignment with ub already this year. can anyone clarify this?

You are correct. The program has been running for two years and each year they call for people interested in scholorships.

Some people really need to have all the facts before having pot shots at people ;)
Just on a side note i see Quinn turned down both Port Adelaide and Fremantle offers for High Performance manager to take up the job as Fitness coach for the Indian Cricket side. Guess the poeple that really matter do rate him....

You are correct. The program has been running for two years and each year they call for people interested in scholorships.

Some people really need to have all the facts before having pot shots at people ;)
Just on a side note i see Quinn turned down both Port Adelaide and Fremantle offers for High Performance manager to take up the job as Fitness coach for the Indian Cricket side. Guess the poeple that really matter do rate him....

I think it was frustration out of this year than anything else Ant. It was time for a new start.

I think it was frustration out of this year than anything else Ant. It was time for a new start.

Don't disagree with new starts but a few have certainly bagged the crap out of Quinn and like the first post have made an assumption that was completely false.

Cheers Ant. i just found it funny that cormack was a genius for instilling something "new", when in actual fact it was already in place.

Indian cricket side. sounds interesting, good luck to him i say!

cool, i hope he can help the indian cricket team not only with their fitness, but also instill enough confidence in their playing abilities that they don't need to rely on the BCCI to bully other nations into getting what they want. but that's for another board, another day.

Seems that Australians dominance over the Indians is set to continue :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm. Injuries really are a huge factor in a teams success...

While true that the net gain for Essendon of one extra RCT being added to the evidence base is not going to have a big impact...

Having a research internship is a clear message that EFC is commited to scientific, best practice sports medicine. Having fresh blood and new ideas fresh from university can sometimes be a good thing as it is easy for professionals to not be so up to date with best practice as they go through their career. Having a research intern sends a good message to everyone that EFC has a culture of state of the art, evidence based sports medicine.

Besides all that, we all know EFC strongly believes in its charitible persuits and this really would be a very exciting opportunity for a young sports scientist.

Thanks for the explanation. Must admit i didn't really read it properly the first time and misunderstood :eek:. I though it was a new position, not an intern ship at the club. My bad

THAT sounds like a great program!

its not really an internship - its only available to university graduates.

i work as biomedical engineer having studied medical biophysics (physiology, fitness testing etc) - am calling to see if i can fit some hours in for the role continuing to work in my current role. if i can fit in both i might do it given i live just around the corner from windy hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

High Performance Iniative

Remove this Banner Ad

Back