High Profile Lions Fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Following up the thread about Bill Lawry following us, I was wondering what other high profile Lions fans are out there, if any? It seems the Victorian clubs have a wealth of famous supporters - the Saints and Eric Bana, Carlton and Andy Lee, Melbourne and Baz Luhrmann - but there aren't too many for the interstate clubs, specifically QLD and NSW ones.

I'm not talking about the famous people who may have once worn a jersey for a photoshoot or something, more the diehard fans who keep up with their club every week and are incredibly passionate. I believe Greg Norman was our number 1 ticket holder for a while, so he's probably one of them, but are there any others? Can't help but think with all the publicity and promotion people like Dave Hughes give Carlton, it could be really beneficial to have someone similar for the Lions.

I think it's safe to say that KRudd was for politics and publicity. He's a league fan.
There's been more than a few occasions where the Reds rugby union team have shown up for a game and a bit of cross promotion. I do recall there was a little bit of banter via twitter between skippers on how their prospective teams were going last year.

Rudd, although god knows if it's just politics or legitimate.

Nah, he was just getting his face on TV. I always cringe when I see the footage after our Elimination win against Carlton of Rudd 'singing' the team song. He had no idea of the words and just looked like a fish flapping about out of water.

Rudd is indeed a fairly switched on Lions fan. It's nut just a PR stunt. The Gabba is in his electorate.

If you watch the footage of that elim final again, you'll see that the entire crowd is out of sync during the song.

The crowd was literally that loud that you couldnt hear the song through the PA so the crowd is well out of synch with the TV.

A few other prominent Lions supporters off the top of my head... Neil Diamond (married to a Brisbane girl), Craig "voice of the AFL" Willis, Jerry Lewis (not a diehard or anything though), Peter Hollingworth, Rob Elliot, Colin Friels, Greg Norman (former no.1 ticket holder), Julie Anthony, Bert Newton (somewhat dispassionate though post merger), Kelly Higgins-Divine (ABC Brisbane radio host), Kieran Perkins, Pat Rafter, Andrew Symonds, Matt Hayden.

Rudd is indeed a fairly switched on Lions fan. It's nut just a PR stunt. The Gabba is in his electorate.

If you watch the footage of that elim final again, you'll see that the entire crowd is out of sync during the song.

The crowd was literally that loud that you couldnt hear the song through the PA so the crowd is well out of synch with the TV.

A few other prominent Lions supporters off the top of my head... Neil Diamond (married to a Brisbane girl), Craig "voice of the AFL" Willis, Jerry Lewis (not a diehard or anything though), Peter Hollingworth, Rob Elliot, Colin Friels, Greg Norman (former no.1 ticket holder), Julie Anthony, Bert Newton (somewhat dispassionate though post merger), Kelly Higgins-Divine (ABC Brisbane radio host), Kieran Perkins, Pat Rafter, Andrew Symonds, Matt Hayden.

We weren't just out of synch with the PA, we were all out of synch with each other! I remember giving up on the second verse and just jumping up and down clapping.

I'm glad I gave Haydos a cheer last night then lol

I have heard this too, although he no doubt plays it up for PR. I bet he couldn't tell your JB's number.

Anyway, what about Anna Bligh? Oh wait, she supports "Queensland". :rolleyes:

I have heard this too, although he no doubt plays it up for PR. I bet he couldn't tell your JB's number.

Anyway, what about Anna Bligh? Oh wait, she supports "Queensland". :rolleyes:

So what if Rudd does not know what Browns number is and who should she support, Upper Volta?

These threads can verge at cretinous. I used to think that the internet was a source of learning and interaction. I have come to the conclusion the internet is in fact a place for faceless people to write semi literate nonsense.

So what if Rudd does not know what Browns number is and who should she support, Upper Volta?

These threads can verge at cretinous. I used to think that the internet was a source of learning and interaction. I have come to the conclusion the internet is in fact a place for faceless people to write semi literate nonsense.

Anna Bligh is such a sports publicity whore. During the pre game (or maybe half time) drivel of the round 2 Suns game v Carlton she gave the stupid answer "I support Queensland".

And yeah, I don't think it is a stretch to expect a long term fan to be able to rattle off a few player numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a young fan who used to sit next to us, only about three or four years old. One day her mother told us how she counted:

"One, two, three, four, five, six, Jed Adcock, eight, nine, ten!"

We were most impressed lol :D

Anna Bligh is such a sports publicity whore. During the pre game (or maybe half time) drivel of the round 2 Suns game v Carlton she gave the stupid answer "I support Queensland".

And yeah, I don't think it is a stretch to expect a long term fan to be able to rattle off a few player numbers.

Who cares! She has no choice. No matter what her side of politics she has to say that even if she does not have a clue.

I have seen her husband at Laughing Clowns gig. Big deal as well. Do you know who the Laughing Clowns are? I could not care less if you do or you don't. It does not matter.

Who cares that Howard and Hawke were at the cricket. I don't.

I follow the Roar because they are local. Not really caring much for Aleague I could not tell you a player. Who cares.

Who cares that Robbie Williams wore a Lions jumper. I didn't and still don't.

Rudd/Howard who ever does not do it for us so we give them shit over footy/cricket whatever. Who cares. It is irrelevant.

We collectively get annoyed at shit. Lets get a life.

Who cares! She has no choice. No matter what her side of politics she has to say that even if she does not have a clue.

I have seen her husband at Laughing Clowns gig. Big deal as well. Do you know who the Laughing Clowns are? I could not care less if you do or you don't. It does not matter.

Who cares that Howard and Hawke were at the cricket. I don't.

I follow the Roar because they are local. Not really caring much for Aleague I could not tell you a player. Who cares.

Who cares that Robbie Williams wore a Lions jumper. I didn't and still don't.

Rudd/Howard who ever does not do it for us so we give them shit over footy/cricket whatever. Who cares. It is irrelevant.

We collectively get annoyed at shit. Lets get a life.

U mad?:eek:

Bit of light hearted fun. It is off-season.

john blackman and ugly dave gray were fitzroy supporters. matty lloyd grew up barracking for the roys as well...pretty sure he hates the lions now though :D

john blackman and ugly dave gray were fitzroy supporters. matty lloyd grew up barracking for the roys as well...pretty sure he hates the lions now though :D

Yeah... also don't know so much about now but 'back in my day' deep in their hearts EVERYBODY barracked for Fitzroy... or so 'Champs' and the Coodabeens said. ;)

[youtube]utfZ253rSnI[/youtube]

I thought Greg Norman was or used to be a Richmond fan. Being a queenslander did he change when the bears came in? I even thought post bears he was a richmond fan. kinda of suit each others as there both chookers

Remove this Banner Ad

High Profile Lions Fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back