Hine's assesment of our picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

This makes for an interesting read, seems Sinclair was a "steal" at 62.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/87565/default.aspx

No.62 - Ben Sinclair (Oakleigh Chargers)
"An inside midfielder, he's from the Chargers and is a small midfielder at 183cm. He's got super speed and he's a very aggressive player. He was also almost the quickest player in the draft, so he brings speed, which is very pleasing.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/87565/default.aspx

Hine also mentions that we have checked out Buckley's hip and it seems to be ok going forward.:thumbsu:

- "It's not very often at pick 30 you can bring in an All-Australian player, former club captain..."

Is it just me, or is that a subtle shot at Lyon? :)

Yep, great spin but also a great off-season draft time for us. At centre and stoppages, Jolly to Ball to three speedy run and carries. Bingo. Ball and a new run and carry brigade in the draft (one of whom in Buckley has the conditioning to be able to play next year?)

I was hoping for Tutt or Sumner at 62 but they went so much earlier from folk who obviously saw that run and carry too. Didn't see Sinclair in the picture, but it seems that one of these quicks had to follow any Ball pick.

Don't care what tomorrow's media rates us on this draft. A+. Presence around the ball and extra pacey run and carry. Congrats.

Very happy to get these guys.... It is so funny reading the comments on the Stkilda boards... they turn very easily don't they?

...Ross Lyon is a tool!!.... He treated Maxy Hudghton, McGuire and Ball like crap and ended up with a bloke like Lovett. (IMO they have just pushed 3 blokes that were the heart and sole of the club out)...

....luckily for us we now have Maxy and Luke at our club which is a cherry ontop of the Jolly Cake.

Can't wait for the season to start and especially the round 3 clash againt Ross' ******s

Really happy with our drafting this year, getting Jolly and Ball will do wonders, and looks like we got some decent young guys to develop in Thomas and Sinclair which should keep Bucks happy.

The only thing I'm surprised about is that Panos wasn't drafted, and we didn't grab him. Wasn't Panos the guy this forum had it's eye on when we still had pick 14? I heard he was an excellent forward option, it surprises me he didn't get picked, and we didn't even deem him worthy of pick 85, what the heck is going on there?

....luckily for us we now have Maxy and Luke at our club

Don't under estimate what "character" does to a football club.

Collingwood in the off season has added;

Nathan Buckley; Character beyond reproach.
Darren Jolly; Everyone at Sydney loved him, sad he left.
Luke Ball; Club Captain, says it all, loved by all.
Max Hudghton; Wears his heart on his sleeve, and would have died for the Saints, and they treated him like shit, and he still hasn't had a go at them over it, that's class.

Not only have we improved our playing stocks, we have also improved the quality of character that exists within and around our playing group.

Great post Matty. Such an important ingredient for success.

I haven't made one post about Ball up until now. I honestly didn't think we were a chance.

Jolly and Ball are MASSIVE ins for our club.

Well done Pies!!!!

Derek Hine said:
The fact we've got a couple of young midfielders with Dayne Beams and Steele Sidebottom, it was a real priority for us to get Ball, also with Shane O'Bree getting towards the end of his career.

This is my favourite thing that he said. Ball looks likely to replace Shane O'Bree. Thank christ O'Brees playing time will (hopefully) be limited next year - a totally average (at best) liability in our team.

Really happy with our drafting this year, getting Jolly and Ball will do wonders, and looks like we got some decent young guys to develop in Thomas and Sinclair which should keep Bucks happy.

The only thing I'm surprised about is that Panos wasn't drafted, and we didn't grab him. Wasn't Panos the guy this forum had it's eye on when we still had pick 14? I heard he was an excellent forward option, it surprises me he didn't get picked, and we didn't even deem him worthy of pick 85, what the heck is going on there?

Nah, you are thinking of Butcher.

Panos has been rated pretty highly at times during the year though. Maybe not by Pies supporters, and people have certainly cooled off on him recently, but he was rated as one of the better forwards for much of the year from what I've read. I was certainly suprised he didn't get picked at all. Wouldn't be opposed to giving him a shot on the rookie list if we can.

Ben Sinclair played only 3 TAC Cup games for Oakleigh, which is why it's great having a cashed up recruiting department. In fact, I leave it to luminaries such as mdc to calculate the probability that he was injured in his 2nd TAC Cup game, given his possession totals for the Chargers were 20, 4 and 20. ;)

He may very well be the John McCarthy of 2009, albeit perhaps less advanced in his development. We obviously rated him higher (well, perhaps technically not, given he was a smokey) than Josh Thomas, so another gamble paid off in snapping him up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ Yeah, I see Sinclair as Hine's smoky for this year.

Hine suggests he had glandular fever in the second half of the year. He obviously liked what he saw before that.

I will be keeping a very close eye on him next year. He will probably need a lot of development but his write ups sound very interesting. Inside, fast, aggressive and skillfull.

Money in the footy dept pays for itself over and over again.

The fact that we can pay blokes to look at everyone so when it comes to the draft table we can pick a guy like Sinclair, then as Pies fans we can feel very lucky.

Things have changed somewhat, but it was only a few years ago that Richmond picked Oakley-Nicholls without having have seen him, their recruiting budget didnt allow obviously an expansive enough search that wouldve included seeing Oakley-Nicholls play. Despite that they picked him, on reputation I guess. And how did that eventuate?

Guys,Guys, what did i tell ya..........Hello LUKE BALL !
What a draft for the Pies!
Along with BALL,we got Simon Buckley good pick up and a younger version of ball,JOSH THOMAS,plus Ben Sinclair who was a smokey.

We must also Give STEPHANIE credit for sticking to her guns agianst all the detractors,from other clubs.
WELL DONE STEPH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW we are in the mix to win a flag or 4 !

Money in the footy dept pays for itself over and over again.

The fact that we can pay blokes to look at everyone so when it comes to the draft table we can pick a guy like Sinclair, then as Pies fans we can feel very lucky.

Things have changed somewhat, but it was only a few years ago that Richmond picked Oakley-Nicholls without having have seen him, their recruiting budget didnt allow obviously an expansive enough search that wouldve included seeing Oakley-Nicholls play. Despite that they picked him, on reputation I guess. And how did that eventuate?

That's a myth FWIW - I watched him play in the U18's champs at Optus Oval - so unless they couldn't afford a car from Punt Road, or couldn't be assed walking, they made that up. In fact I think that was Terry Wallet talking shite to justify his pick. (he picked him personally as I seem to recall at the time, he was in love)

Congratulations Collingwood!

Not often a top 4 side can add 2 players to its starting 22 in the off season, and maybe three if Buckley can make it.

Very well played against St Kilda during trade week.

Regardless of the kids you picked up, Collingwood will be a force next year, no doubt.

I'm worried that you guys managed to get Burgoyne and Gibson. It'll be interesting where the Cats, Saints, Doggies, Hawks and Pies finish next year. Adelaide and Brisbane too. I wonder who will get the last spot in the eight.

I'm worried that you guys managed to get Burgoyne and Gibson. It'll be interesting where the Cats, Saints, Doggies, Hawks and Pies finish next year. Adelaide and Brisbane too. I wonder who will get the last spot in the eight.

Yeah amazing offseason!

It's great that we've added Burgs and Gibbo, but we lost Williams and a coulpe of depth players (of which Kennedy will be very very very good) we've also lost Crawford, Croad*, Campbell, Dew since grand final day 08. Not sure what the net result is.

Cats just keep doing what they've been doing. They won't collapse like some predict. Drum is a good pickup for them, they'll develop him nicely in Harley's absence. If Tomahawk turns into a player they'll be top 4 again no doubt.

Saints and Brisbane have gone trade crazy on average recycled players. Saints picking up Peak, Pattison and the perennially injured JWS, whilst losing Ball and McGuire and Hudgton from their list - think they're taking a recruiting model too far in one direction. Brisbane - well, wtf? 10 in 10 out. No way that list can click in 2010, will take longer to be a threat imo.

Doggies will be the most interesting. I don't think Hall, Johnson and Aker in the same part of the ground is a good plan.

Adelaide are the quiet achievers, just gathering steam. They've got a forward line now, and they've developed from the ground up. Due to challenge in the next couple of years.

But this is the Collingwood board so let's get back to that - I think the big issue for you guys is T Cloke. If he can take his game from serviceable (the 08/09 version) to bloody fantastic (2007 version) then you'll straighten right up and almost be a guaranteed top 2 imo.

Yeah amazing offseason!

It's great that we've added Burgs and Gibbo, but we lost Williams and a coulpe of depth players (of which Kennedy will be very very very good) we've also lost Crawford, Croad*, Campbell, Dew since grand final day 08. Not sure what the net result is.

Cats just keep doing what they've been doing. They won't collapse like some predict. Drum is a good pickup for them, they'll develop him nicely in Harley's absence. If Tomahawk turns into a player they'll be top 4 again no doubt.

Saints and Brisbane have gone trade crazy on average recycled players. Saints picking up Peak, Pattison and the perennially injured JWS, whilst losing Ball and McGuire and Hudgton from their list - think they're taking a recruiting model too far in one direction. Brisbane - well, wtf? 10 in 10 out. No way that list can click in 2010, will take longer to be a threat imo.

Doggies will be the most interesting. I don't think Hall, Johnson and Aker in the same part of the ground is a good plan.

Adelaide are the quiet achievers, just gathering steam. They've got a forward line now, and they've developed from the ground up. Due to challenge in the next couple of years.

But this is the Collingwood board so let's get back to that - I think the big issue for you guys is T Cloke. If he can take his game from serviceable (the 08/09 version) to bloody fantastic (2007 version) then you'll straighten right up and almost be a guaranteed top 2 imo.

DO Hawks have a PSD pick??? Still no ruckman. Maybe Saints beat you guys to Pattison but there were others there.

Nice post, LP. Agree with the bit about Cloke, he's been through a fair bit this year, getting assaulted and bullets through your window would rattle anyone I'd imagine, so I have no issue with giving him a pass for this year. Getting him back to the level we know he can play at is a big piece of the puzzle for success in 2010, as is getting right Medhurst which was a big part of why our forward line was so ineffectual in the finals.

Next year will have one of the closest contested seasons of footy ever I reckon. It's really hard to pick between the Cats, Saints, Pies, Hawks, Adelaide and Brisbane, I think they will all be fighting for a top 4 spot.

Getting Jolly and Ball has gone a long way towards fixing some of our problems there is no doubt about that. With a really tough draw there will be no questions about where we stand next year, it's do or die, all or nothing, and Malthouse probably knows that more than anyone.

2010 can't come fast enough.

DO Hawks have a PSD pick??? Still no ruckman. Maybe Saints beat you guys to Pattison but there were others there.

Not sure if we've got room on the list to use a PSD pick?

I don't know if we were that keen on Pattison.

We did pick up Monkhorst as a ruck coach in the offseason. We didn't have one of those last season - hopefully he can give Renouf and Taylor the tools to do a good job. Depth in this area is an issue for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hine's assesment of our picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back