Hine's assesment of our picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice post, LP. Agree with the bit about Cloke, he's been through a fair bit this year, getting assaulted and bullets through your window would rattle anyone I'd imagine, so I have no issue with giving him a pass for this year. Getting him back to the level we know he can play at is a big piece of the puzzle for success in 2010, as is getting right Medhurst which was a big part of why our forward line was so ineffectual in the finals.

Next year will have one of the closest contested seasons of footy ever I reckon. It's really hard to pick between the Cats, Saints, Pies, Hawks, Adelaide and Brisbane, I think they will all be fighting for a top 4 spot.

Getting Jolly and Ball has gone a long way towards fixing some of our problems there is no doubt about that. With a really tough draw there will be no questions about where we stand next year, it's do or die, all or nothing, and Malthouse probably knows that more than anyone.

2010 can't come fast enough.

I think the relative hardness or softness of the draw is pretty minor in the difference it makes overall unless it means you start off with a 0-5, 1-4 in the first five weeks. Anything beyond that is recoverable for a good team unless decimated by injuries.

The real question is whether you guys decide to tag Sam Mitchell when you play us ;) (sorry couldn't help myself).

I just hope Bally gets plenty of gametime for you guys this year. People seem to forget that he was on par with Judd and Hodge for quite a while. If Collingwood's medical team can get him up and about (don't listen to this body of a 35 year old crap) you'll just be ridiculously good.

Ben Sinclair played only 3 TAC Cup games for Oakleigh, which is why it's great having a cashed up recruiting department. In fact, I leave it to luminaries such as mdc to calculate the probability that he was injured in his 2nd TAC Cup game, given his possession totals for the Chargers were 20, 4 and 20.

He played school footy for Scotch, and Vic Metro so its not like he was hidden away from other teams

Ben Sinclair played only 3 TAC Cup games for Oakleigh, which is why it's great having a cashed up recruiting department. In fact, I leave it to luminaries such as mdc to calculate the probability that he was injured in his 2nd TAC Cup game, given his possession totals for the Chargers were 20, 4 and 20. ;)

He may very well be the John McCarthy of 2009, albeit perhaps less advanced in his development. We obviously rated him higher (well, perhaps technically not, given he was a smokey) than Josh Thomas, so another gamble paid off in snapping him up there.

Nothing new to add on Sinclair other than one of the boys I teach played at Chargers this year and confirms that Snclair is super quick and agile and has shit loads of guts. Knocked himself out in round 3. Played half back but is pretty light/small.

Getting Jolly and Ball has gone a long way towards fixing some of our problems there is no doubt about that. With a really tough draw there will be no questions about where we stand next year, it's do or die, all or nothing, and Malthouse probably knows that more than anyone.

2010 can't come fast enough.

the Jolly trade has been the key. this is the first time in his career that Mick has decided to focus on a really good tough ruck rather than just filling in with tall ruck-rovers (Fraser, Paul Harding,) or 3rd raters (McKee, David Hynes) or skinny types (Cam Wood, Ryan Turnbull, Guy Richards).

Maybe after 2 GFs being beaten by Clark Keating or 2 PFs being destroyed by Ottens, Mick has finally realised that good rucks are key.

Assuming Jolly stays healthy we are a seriously big chance for the big one.

What number do people think Jolly will get? I'd like to see him in Pebs #23

the Jolly trade has been the key. this is the first time in his career that Mick has decided to focus on a really good tough ruck rather than just filling in with tall ruck-rovers (Fraser, Paul Harding,) or 3rd raters (McKee, David Hynes) or skinny types (Cam Wood, Ryan Turnbull, Guy Richards).

Maybe after 2 GFs being beaten by Clark Keating or 2 PFs being destroyed by Ottens, Mick has finally realised that good rucks are key.

Assuming Jolly stays healthy we are a seriously big chance for the big one.

What number do people think Jolly will get? I'd like to see him in Pebs #23

I think getting Jolly was partially luck, after all, he did decide to return to Melbourne. If he wasn't on the table then we would be stuck (that sounds harsh) with the Fraser / Wood combo.

Our stars really aligned to get both Jolly and Ball.

But it's good to see we had the guts to go out and get them; and Hat's off to Ball for forcing himself into the draft too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hine's assesment of our picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back