Resource Hinkleyball - A Short History

Remove this Banner Ad

Our list has certainly underachieved, even though you could argue theirs was better.

On the rest, you basically agreed with me that they played smarter ball than we did.

Playing smarter makes it not Hinkley ball.

Jack Riewoldt actually made leads and they are honoured, for example. Dusty Martin too. Tom Lynch three.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

TeeKray what about the second showdown in 2015?

Rolled over for the crows all night long, before a too little too late comeback, which IIRC, we completely tripped over our own feet in the last clearance of the game when we could've gotten the ball forward for another chance to win.

Slightly more inside 50s, more inaccurate kicking.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Day game

Hinkley ball is micro-managed, predictable repetitive actions with no trust in the players ability to innovate. Its starting every game for 12 years feeling like you're a growing developing team and every year there are teams out of your grasp.

Its bombing long to a contest, bringing the ball to ground, kicking to the pocket, taking kick ins deep to the right hand side. Its underrating your talls, having no appreciation for ruck tapwork, picking hasslers over players with goal sense and runners over players with football IQ. All while over-working your forwards by playing them out of position so often and coaching them defence that they forget how to actually mark a ball and kick it straight.

Hinkleyball not only won a flag, but it became a dinasty. Richmond simply executed it to perfection. We never could.

Tigers never entered into “stand-by” mode as often as we do. They were able to play way smarter than us.

The main problem with Hinkleyball is… HINKLEY.
A large part of the Tigers success was from chaos. Territory often played up the ground and the number of goals they scored from him taking the ball rather than marking or just kicking the ball off the ground was remarkable.

Hinkleyball is anything but chaotic. It is the exact same thing every time.

A large part of the Tigers success was from chaos. Territory often played up the ground and the number of goals they scored from him taking the ball rather than marking or just kicking the ball off the ground was remarkable.

Hinkleyball is anything but chaotic. It is the exact same thing every time.
And having players forward of the ball. That chaos needs players forward of the ball.

Admittedly we are a bit better now, but in the Hinkley Halycon of 2015 - 2019, we either had a forwardline packed like tuna, or it was empty, and we had numerous kicks forward to absolutely nothing but two defenders scratching their dicks every game.

Our night record at home, especially Saturday nights against at top 8 teams is infuriating. Have the morons running this club ever tried to address this issue, which I think is actually our number 1 issue critical to our on field success.

For years we’ve pushed for more Saturday night games for more exposure and $, and I believe it’s the preferred slot for fans in our surveys but we’ve never addressed the gigantic elephant in the room that we suck in these games. Most happy clappers aren’t even aware of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still think we need to bombard 5AA with a coordinated, well informed, well articulated attack on Hinkley. No matter the topic they want to speak about, we need to bring it back to outing the façade that is Hinkley. Even the happy clappers will come around eventually. The stats just don't lie...

This forum needs a 'cheat sheet' post for referencing that can used be anyone who wants to call AA.

Still think we need to bombard 5AA with a coordinated, well informed, well articulated attack on Hinkley. No matter the topic they want to speak about, we need to bring it back to outing the façade that is Hinkley. Even the happy clappers will come around eventually. The stats just don't lie...

This forum needs a 'cheat sheet' post for referencing that can used be anyone who wants to call AA.
I made a cheat sheet thread like this a few years ago. Someone will find it. Nothing much will have changed. Ken doesn't believe in changing.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This, to me, is Hinkleyball.

Kick it on Charlie's head, no leading, is the quintessential Hinkleyball.

Create a stoppage from a F50 bomb just to lock the ball in rather than you know actually play football by running proven leading patterns, marking in the best possible spot and not being totally gassed when you have to execute the shot

HiNkleY bALL !

Doesn’t quite hit the criteria of the thread because we were absolutely smashed, but this happened in the very next home game after the Prelim,

R02 vs Hawthorn - https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2022/101320220326.html

Sam Mitchell’s first away game as senior coach, in charge of what is quite clearly a rebuilding outfit emerging from the wildly-successful Clarkson Era.

A game tinged with sadness, with the night designated as a tribute to the recently-departed Port Adelaide GOAT, Russell Ebert.

Port dominates possession and territory:

• Disposals: +74
• Clearances: +24
• Inside 50: +12

But somehow contrives to lose by a whopping 64 points, 19. 6 (120) to 7. 14 (56).

The Hawks haven’t won an away game outside of Victoria since.

2019:

R19 v GWS - https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2019/132120190727.html

I know this one is a personal favourite of tribey's. We lose 7.13 (55) to 8.8 (56). Inside 50 advantage 53-45. Haynes and Davis take 23 marks between them.
Mine too. I left with about 10 minutes left to go. We were only 8 points down but I knew, knew, we were going to lose. And we did. That was 5 years ago. We still have the coach who instilled that sense of hopelessness in me.

Great thread by the way.

Last edited:
Mine too. I left with about 10 minutes left to go. We were only 8 points down but I knew, knew, we were going to lose. And we did. That was 5 years ago. We still have the coach responsible.

Great thread by the way.
The thing I hate most of all there are times when we start playing nice football, open forward line and even leads but then it stops.
It's like its an aberration and they go back to the same old shit, bombing it into Dixon in the forward pocket. It has sapped my will to support Port and the AFL in general has taken any love I have for the game away.

R14 vs. Western Bulldogs - https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2019/071320190629.html

Exactly seven days earlier in the same venue and timeslot, Port had put in a genuinely good four-quarter performance to defeat runaway ladder leaders Geelong — so much so that the final siren was greeted by a spontaneous standing ovation in appreciation of the effort, maturity and sheer superiority shown as Port deservedly jumped into the eight.

Understandably, the spluttering 15th-placed 5-8 Bulldogs were expected to be mere fodder for a burgeoning Port Adelaide machine revving into top form.

• Disposals: +29
• Inside 50: +20
• Scoring shots: Even

And the lowly Doggies comfortably took the choccies in a monsoon, 10. 6 (66) to 5.11 (41).

Port would go on to infamously crash out of contention thanks to an upset 14-goal hiding in North Melbourne’s farewell to being a serious entity — and gaslight everyone into believing that’s to be expected from a side teeming with kindergarteners — while the Scray would use their ADELAIDE OVAL STATEMENT WIN™ as a springboard to September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Hinkleyball - A Short History

Remove this Banner Ad

Back