Resource Hinkleyball - A Short History

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a win, but what about the showdown that motlop won.. 20 odd points up? With 5 mins to go and needed a piece of individual brilliance to win what we should have won comfortably..

The very next showdown we were 9 points up and Ollie had a shot from just outside the goal square to put us 15 points up with only 5 minutes left and somehow he managed to miss everything by about 20 metres and then they kick 2 to hit the lead in the dying seconds one of them being a poster.

a week before the mcgovern goal after the siren, snatching victory from nowhere to basically end our season in the same way they did the year before.

2018 has to be the most torturous year we've ever had, 11 and 4 to missing finals, we are Port Adelaide.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We weren’t favourites for this one, but still using the criteria, does this count?

• Twilight or night game Geelong, Rd 19, 2022, Adelaide Oval, 405pm :whitecheck:
  • Played at Adelaide Oval :whitecheck:
  • Defeat by a few goals or less 2 goals :whitecheck:

It may or may not feature the following elements:

• Defeat despite a significant advantage in inside 50s and/or shots on goal I50’s 59-49, possessions +40 :whitecheck:
  • Jumped early before mounting a faux final quarter comeback where it 'looks' like we might win but we don't 34pts down at half time, only to lead at 3qt, then out scored 4.4 to 1.3 last quarter. :whitecheck:
  • An opposition player kicking a goal after the siren to win the match, possibly from a free kick Scores tied, Hawkins kicks the goal to go ahead, then the sealer from a ruck infringement free kick (ironic huh) :whitecheck:
  • The opposition later win the premiership and credit this game as the one that made them believe
  • If we improve, I believe that (we can go all the way)," Scott said ahead of Saturday's clash with the Power at Adelaide Oval. "If we stay where we are, I don't think that will be good enough.
  • If you want to win respect in this competition that is footy then you do what this team has been able to do right here,” Garry Lyon told Fox Footy after Geelong‘s statement final term.”
  • Geelong remained unbeaten all the way through to a flag. :whitecheck:

Doesn’t quite hit the criteria of the thread because we were absolutely smashed, but this happened in the very next home game after the Prelim,

R02 vs Hawthorn - https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2022/101320220326.html

Sam Mitchell’s first away game as senior coach, in charge of what is quite clearly a rebuilding outfit emerging from the wildly-successful Clarkson Era.

A game tinged with sadness, with the night designated as a tribute to the recently-departed Port Adelaide GOAT, Russell Ebert.

Port dominates possession and territory:

• Disposals: +74
• Clearances: +24
• Inside 50: +12

But somehow contrives to lose by a whopping 64 points, 19. 6 (120) to 7. 14 (56).

The Hawks haven’t won an away game outside of Victoria since.
Almost like we didn't change a thing

R14 vs. Western Bulldogs - https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2019/071320190629.html

Exactly seven days earlier in the same venue and timeslot, Port had put in a genuinely good four-quarter performance to defeat runaway ladder leaders Geelong — so much so that the final siren was greeted by a spontaneous standing ovation in appreciation of the effort, maturity and sheer superiority shown as Port deservedly jumped into the eight.

Understandably, the spluttering 15th-placed 5-8 Bulldogs were expected to be mere fodder for a burgeoning Port Adelaide machine revving into top form.

• Disposals: +29
• Inside 50: +20
• Scoring shots: Even

And the lowly Doggies comfortably took the choccies in a monsoon, 10. 6 (66) to 5.11 (41).

Port would go on to infamously crash out of contention thanks to an upset 14-goal hiding in North Melbourne’s farewell to being a serious entity — and gaslight everyone into believing that’s to be expected from a side teeming with kindergarteners — while the Scray would use their ADELAIDE OVAL STATEMENT WIN™ as a springboard to September.
Wasn't that Geelong win the one where Hinkley reluctantly dropped Westhoff and was bewildered with the positive result?

So strange

Unfortunately it's not a short history 😕 and it's getting longer by the day.

The very next showdown we were 9 points up and Ollie had a shot from just outside the goal square to put us 15 points up with only 5 minutes left and somehow he managed to miss everything by about 20 metres and then they kick 2 to hit the lead in the dying seconds one of them being a poster.

That was the same Showdown where our three most combative midfielders had the lowest TOG% of all 44 guys who took the field, leaving them stranded on the pine for long periods during such a pivotal contest:

8. Robbie Gray 88%
12. Rory Sloane 87%
13. Travis Boak 86%
18. Jared Polec 84%
19. Rory Laird 83%
21. Brad Ebert 83%
26. Bryce Gibbs 83%
30. Matt Crouch 79%

41. Cam Ellis-Yolmen 70%
42. Sam Powell-Pepper 68%
43. Tom Rockliff 65%
44. Ollie Wines 61%

Maddie Wines later tweeted that it was an issue with Port’s computer system, but that neither Hinkley or McKeown realised or were notified of the fact such contested beasts were wasting away on the pine while their direct opponents were bossing the contest — Rory Sloane in particular playing literally an extra quarter compared to Ollie — wasn’t one for the competency portfolio.

That was the same Showdown where our three most combative midfielders had the lowest TOG% of all 44 guys who took the field, leaving them stranded on the pine for long periods during such a pivotal contest:

8. Robbie Gray 88%
12. Rory Sloane 87%
13. Travis Boak 86%
18. Jared Polec 84%
19. Rory Laird 83%
21. Brad Ebert 83%
26. Bryce Gibbs 83%
30. Matt Crouch 79%

41. Cam Ellis-Yolmen 70%
42. Sam Powell-Pepper 68%
43. Tom Rockliff 65%
44. Ollie Wines 61%

Maddie Wines later tweeted that it was an issue with Port’s computer system, but that neither Hinkley or McKeown realised or were notified of the fact such contested beasts were wasting away on the pine while their direct opponents were bossing the contest — Rory Sloane in particular playing literally an extra quarter compared to Ollie — wasn’t one for the competency portfolio.
lol as if the players weren't like "am I going on or what? I've been sitting around for ages."

The mind boggles at how many things have to go wrong for this to happen. No one asked, no one said a thing, no one realized? Jesus christ.

lol as if the players weren't like "am I going on or what? I've been sitting around for ages."

The mind boggles at how many things have to go wrong for this to happen. No one asked, no one said a thing, no one realized? Jesus christ.

Remember, we’re routinely patronised that the coaching is the best thing we have going for us 😅

Too busy planning the next skiing trip up the river or drags at the Bend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we add to HinkleyBall…… “a match which is the opposite of the Noise of Affirmation combined with the opposite of Home Town umpiring”?

Watching a woeful outplayed Adelaide being kissed on the proverbial tonight just reminds me of what we basically never see.

Can we add to HinkleyBall…… “a match which is the opposite of the Noise of Affirmation combined with the opposite of Home Town umpiring”?

Watching a woeful outplayed Adelaide being kissed on the proverbial tonight just reminds me of what we basically never see.
Yep - we get the umpiring that adelaide get at home - we win last week.

Can we change the title to “the surprisingly long history of Hinkleyball”? Because this #%^* has gone on far too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, start getting the check list out for another edition of #hinkleyball.

Nah that wasn't hinkleyball, that was shitball.

Hinkleyball imo is when we lose games we should have won, not when we get piss blasted off the park.

That's just "sack the coach" ball

Had all the set up for a Hinkleyball classic. Playing a top team while they are out of form and a moderate level of expectation on us with the outcome of playing the opposition into form.
The difference this time was that we actually showed up from the start and didn't hold on for a 10-20 point loss to avoid criticism despite never really looking like having a chance of winning.
Getting blown away and really showing how pathetic our coaching plan and mental toughness is to the wider league is a bit of a new one for Ken. Hopefully it invites a little media attention to start coming his way but I'm not holding my breath.

We all know Hinkleyball. A slippery night at the Oval. A close game. That feeling of dread. The fumbling from our players. The shanked set shots. By contrast, the apparent sky high confidence and silky skills of the opposition players, seemingly unable to miss a target or a shot at goal.

👀

NEW ENTRY

R8 v Adelaide - https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2024/011320240502.html

An instant Hinkleyball classic. We lose by 30 points - 12.6 (78) to 5.18 (48) - despite having 5 more scoring shots. We score 48 points from 23 scoring shots. We win the inside 50 count 57-47. The game is played entirely in our front half and yet we do not look like winning the game for a second.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back