Hird is the best

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 30, 2003
Punt Road
Other Teams
Richmond
This debate must surely now be put to bed for ths year. James Hird is the best player going aaround at the minute, and the best Captain. I know Voss, Bucks etc are great, but surely James is the king.
Another Brownlow coming his way me thinks, although it will be interesting if he faces any backlash from the umpires due to his earlier comments.

You're kidding, right?

best this year i would say, proberbly helps that Voss isnt a 100% and has to play in the forward line for longievity, but yeah i would agree Hird is the best player this year, looks in brownlow form...apologising to the umpires sure helped him get in the good books:p

i gotta admit, when he was running down the wing towards the punt road end, and sidestepped 3 or so players, i said "come on jim" under my breath and hoped he'd keep going and nail the goal. neither a pie or bomber supporter....

his assessment skills are sensational - he can assess a situation quicker than any other player, and it allows him to have more time that other players to dispose of the ball skillfully. most of his snaps end up going through because of the extra half second he gives himself because he works out scenarios so quickly.

I cant help looking at the free kicks tally's after essendon games, seems to be up since the mclaren incident..Zeke who do you think is the best player at the moment?

Originally posted by Captain Blood
Name one who is aa beter consistant big time player and a better captaing right now!

INTERSTATE CAPTAINS

Bell? No.
Riccutio (apologies if mispelled) Great game on the weekend but only one so far this year.
Cousins? Good player, but not better than James.
Primus? Sadly the Port Capt is out for the season. A great player but not in James class.
Maxfield? Come on.
Voss? No matter what crap he spins about his knees not hurting him he is not playing as well as he can. If he was, he'd be the best in the AFL.

INTERSTATE PLAYERS

Pavlich? Playing well but not Hirdlike. Yet.
No one else at the Crows.
Chad Cornes? Is set to be one of the AFL's best CHF/CHB's. Not an all round player though.
Judd is a tidy player but does not dominate games like Jim.
Goodes? Brownlow medalist. Nuff said. This guy is still underated.
I could name a number of players at the Lions but seriously, who'd you rather have....Jim or Black? Jim or Leppitsch? Jim or Lappin? Jim or Akermanis? Answer: Jim everytime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This exact thread came up last year after an almost identical situation (granted Bucks got 37 less touches).

I think Hird is the form player at the minute and I think he'll win the Brownlow.

As for all of a sudden writing of the likes of Voss and Buckley, then I think that's a bit premature. He's definitely in better nick at the minute.

stats.gif

Originally posted by Zeke
stats.gif

Hird has stood up and won two matches for his club when they needed him, against West Coast last quarter, and yesterday at the 3rd quarter.

Your stats also shows that he averages almost 28 touches per game (same with Hasleby and better than Black), 6 marks and 2 goals per game.

Though stats don't tell the entire story, most of Hird's goals were at critical stages of matches when his team needs one.

Originally posted by Zeke
stats.gif

lies, damn lies and statistics. Hird is capturing imagination but given Tredrea is pretty much a set forward and not in the play as much as Hird, pro rata he is in the same ilk as Hird.

Originally posted by Pevers-Legend
Waht the hell is going on with Tredrea - 8 frees for 0 against. I wonder who is the most protected forward in the comp now??
Never been reported either, to my knowledge. Its because he's good enough to beat his opponent without needing to break the rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hird is the best

Remove this Banner Ad

Back