Hird v Buckley v Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought i'd pose a question:

Which of these three great, recently retired champions at their absolute peak was the best? James Hird, Nathan Buckley, Michael Voss.

I am obviously biased, but I believe that Hird at his best was better, and am interested in the opinions of those here.

Hirdy, could do absolutely anything.
Literally won many games off his own boot.
Not as reliable set shot for goal though lol
Buckley and Voss are more similar though.

I would go

Voss

Hird

Buckley.

I think Voss' ferocity would be better for a club, along with his great skills etc would be slightly more beneficial to a club than Hird's brilliance.
And despite his skills (probably the best of the three), Buckley's outside reciever nature drops him down a rung. No disrespect intended, as he was obviously a great player, but I think Hird and especially Voss won a lot more of their own ball, which in my mind raises their value...

I would go

Voss

Hird

Buckley.

I think Voss' ferocity would be better for a club, along with his great skills etc would be slightly more beneficial to a club than Hird's brilliance.
And despite his skills (probably the best of the three), Buckley's outside reciever nature drops him down a rung. No disrespect intended, as he was obviously a great player, but I think Hird and especially Voss won a lot more of their own ball, which in my mind raises their value...

Im fairly sure Bucks actually led the the league in clearances on occasions, so so much for that argument.

Would be out of Bucks and Hird for me.

The media overrated Voss IMO due to him being captain of 3 flags in a row. (Obviously still a champion)

Having the best disposal by foot of his era doesn't equate to being an outside reciever :)

Although admittedly he was quite like that in his earlier years, he added the clearance winning and contested ball ability to his game and became as good as any.

Judd>Hodge>Ball

no, wait

Ablett jr>Franklin

sorry,

Ablett snr>Matthews>Carey.

Hang on, I'll get there

A. Rocca - Worst 200 game player of all time.

I'll have one last crack.

Hird>Voss>Buckley

That was tough.

I think the Vics are still underrating Vossy cause not many get to watch him play but the guy is the best I've seen at intimidation tactics. Fair Dinkum other players were genuinely scared when they have the ball and see Voss charging in out of the corner of their eye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

very tough one. i'd probably go voss, then hird, then buckley but there's hardly anything between them. i think voss and hird brought the best out of their teammates a little better than what buckley and their leadership probably ranks them a bit higher than buckley. and if voss and hird didn't have so many injuries, the thought that they could have been even better is frightening!

Tough choice between Hird and Voss
I go for Voss just ahead of Hird
Buckley not even close , I have Robert Harvey before Buckley

Tough choice between Hird and Voss
I go for Voss just ahead of Hird
Buckley not even close , I have Robert Harvey before Buckley
Thats also a interesting question... Why is it that when people talk of Voss Hird and Buckley Harvey's name isnt mentioned. Is it the fact that he didnt win a premiership but neither did Buckley. Thoughts ?

voss > hird > ricciuto > buckley

voss can win can win me 3
hird can win me 2
ricciuto can win me 1
buckley can win me none

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back