Hirdy loses cases against insurance coy

Remove this Banner Ad

Might not be Little but some mystery benefactor paid a chunk of it already. Originally he was to pay closer to 1.5mil until...

"A mystery benefactor has paid off a $750,000 debt owed by former Essendon coach James Hird to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, a court has heard

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...oachs-660000-legal-bills-20160216-gmv7qg.html

So not unrealistic that someone steps up and pays the remainder.
It could be Tania Hird for all we know. It may simply be another of the countless ruses to portray legitimacy.

Serious question: With all the talk about some 'benefactor' ponying up the cash to pay Hird's bills, what are the tax liabilities for the recipient of such?

EDIT: I see Gavstar has addressed this point.

Last edited:
Not really, I couldn’t care less who pays it. You’re the one who made the dumb joke.

Hird’s just being compensated for being the fall guy. That’s why it was all paid for - his leave, his study, any legal costs.
I get that from the original "I take full responsibility ..." at the initial presser, but I would have thought that he exhausted all of that goodwill, well and truly by now?

I get that from the original "I take full responsibility ..." at the initial presser, but I would have thought that he exhausted all of that goodwill, well and truly by now?

It’s not goodwill, it’s by agreement. He was paid off by all and sundry to “sign up to the sanctions” in 2013.

Significant threat and inducement

Is there a link to an article describing the grounds Hird presented for believing that he should have been covered?
images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Natalie Hickey lays out the rationale for the finding very well here
Thanks for that, it seems a very concise distillation and gives an insight into Hird's line of argumentation. :thumbsu:

Natalie Hickey lays out the rationale for the finding very well here

Interesting that Natalie thinks it was a close decision.

Does make me wonder if the decision would be different if Hird provided his 7000 texts and transcripts as evidence.

What does he not want made public? certainly not the confidential legal advice he released!

it migrated outside afl hands. that was the problem. and zero risk management. how do you keep a program with 40 individuals plus the coaches broaching mid age crisis on the good-stuff vanity antiaging image enhancing melanotans and lipotropins, how do you keep this "in-house". you cant. its hubris to think they could
Yea, it's the hubris that gets me..
Bought the enabler in house, rode over the objectors (Reid, possibly Bomber) or sacked them, coaching staff doing the needles too, etc.... So kind of arrogant type hubris. It's kind of socio pathic.

Interesting that Natalie thinks it was a close decision.

Does make me wonder if the decision would be different if Hird provided his 7000 texts and transcripts as evidence.

What does he not want made public? certainly not the confidential legal advice he released!
Maybe it's not just information he wants to keep secret, maybe it's also information that he's compelled to keep secret under his settlement agreement with the AFL.

yeah, feeling a bit sheepish about the amount of time I've wasted here arguing about things none of us could possibly know...but this week's game is looking like it'll be a smashing so those threads are looking even more bleak than the ASAGA ones!

Don't know enough about this case or the law to offer an opinion on why he didn't make that request but I would be very surprised if there weren't very tightly drafted confidentiality provisions limiting what he can and can't disclose about the matter, particularly given the live nature of a range of actions involving Dank.

Wonder what's next for Albert .
Perhaps he could hook up with Ricky Nixon , Roger Rogerson and Jacko and take the show on the road .
Or maybe he can follow in the footsteps of another golden boy and become a meter maid on the Gold Coast .
Really is a massive fall for this bloke ...

Well thought out. Wages of sin. Sounds dramatic, I know but in this instance, seems fitting.

Big Footy posters are in the main a very understanding and forgiving lot. I'm sure they would have been a lot more sympathetic if Hirdy had come out at the beginning and said " I take full respons...." Oops, I think he did.

Only problem is that when it came to the crunch he backtracked at a million miles an hour and tried to blame everyone else, tried to delay and block at every turn.

You tell him stax. A bit hysterical of lance to call it visceral hate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hirdy loses cases against insurance coy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back