Hobart stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Tassie should look at how Geelong are strong viable club, use a similar model, you can't compare to Melbourne clubs, Geelong has had a large amount of growth and I reckon Hobart with an AFL team would be similar

Problem is Geelong has 30,000 more people than Hobart does and Geelong is also close enough to Melbourne that you can realistically have people from Melbourne coming to games regularly.

Problem is Geelong has 30,000 more people than Hobart does and Geelong is also close enough to Melbourne that you can realistically have people from Melbourne coming to games regularly.
Tassie has the the state, which can reach Hobart within a 3 hour drive, 45 minute flight from tulla to Hobart, cheap flights, people will regularly make that flight, we have footballer travelling from Darwin and Queensland fly to Victoria to play country footy, Tassie gets a team suddenly you'll see the population rise, Hobart, has affordable housing, many old Victorian homes are far affordable then Melbourne's inner city houses

Tassie has the the state, which can reach Hobart within a 3 hour drive, 45 minute flight from tulla to Hobart, cheap flights, people will regularly make that flight, we have footballer travelling from Darwin and Queensland fly to Victoria to play country footy, Tassie gets a team suddenly you'll see the population rise, Hobart, has affordable housing, many old Victorian homes are far affordable then Melbourne's inner city houses

and if that leads to a big increase in Tasmania's population that would be great, but I am not sure that is happening. Also I don't think an AFL team is going to be the cause of a population rise.

I do think though the federal government should be encouraging immigrants to move to places like Tasmania or South Australia as the vast majority move to Sydney and possibly Melbourne and it isn't sustainable.

There are some who love to post on threads about Tasmania coming into the AFL who love to have an opinion that they believe is fact.

Find it interesting most of those are from supporters of clubs who have been subsidised by the AFL for decades but can not see the irony of them having a crack and being righteous with statements such as 'I believe a population such as....is needed'.

It does not matter how many business cases are put forward with strong numbers there will always be posters having a crack.

Intriguing but it is what it is.

Yes, that is why Gil has been CEO of the AFL for almost 8 years and he has been doing everything in his power to get Tasmania into the competition and has not been stalling, trying to deflect and trying to get Tasmanian expansion fans off his back. I mean Tasmania must be extremely viable for Gil to be this keen.
Tasmania has always been taken for granted by the AFL. They used to look at Tassie and think why should we be bother setting up a new team there when the the Tasmanian Government are already paying millions to host Hawthorn and North Melbourne games? It wasn't until the Tasmanian Govt threatened to withdraw support and sponsorship of Hawthorn and North Melbourne games, plus declining crowds and participation rates amongst kids in the sport, where the AFL finally decided to act.

It can also be argued that Tasmania was put on the back burner because of the money being spent on the Suns, Giants and AFLW. None of which are profitable and can stand on their own two legs yet.

They aren't random numbers

Western Australia (2.6 million) - 1.3 million per team
South Australia (1.7 million) - 850,000 per team
Victoria - (6.6 million) - 660,000 per team

Now Victoria struggles a bit with 1 team per 660,000 so that is not enough, so it has to be closer to South Australia than Victoria.
That's to reach 45-50k average crowds.

They're never getting that in Tasmania. They're looking at 20-25k, similar to GWS amd GC and for that Hobart has enough.

Yes and ever since that report the AFL has been super excited about getting Tasmania into the competition. We have practically had to hold them back with their eagerness.
Part of me wonders if that might be because should Tasmania join and quickly become a success (obviously not going to be a powerhouse but a strong small to middle side) it'll turn the spotlight on how bad the decision was to head up to Gold Coast

Pretty similar toOn
Part of me wonders if that might be because should Tasmania join and quickly become a success (obviously not going to be a powerhouse but a strong small to middle side) it'll turn the spotlight on how bad the decision was to head up to Gold Coast
Yeah I’ve always thought the same if Tasmania came in getting capacity crowds while gws and the suns still struggling for support big time it would be a bit embarrassing for the afl

Hobart has affordable housing...........news to me

Hobart is officially the most unaffordable capital city in all of Australia, following a dramatic spike in everyday living expenses.
Data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows Hobart has gone from one of the cheapest capital cities to the priciest, outstripping the rest of the mainland in December.
Hobart’s Consumer Price Index, which measures the basic cost of living, has skyrocketed off the back of housing, transport, and food prices.

Compare it to inner Melbs and Sydney, it's still cheaper than Geelong too
We are not affordable. We have unaffordable rentals and a low supply. It has gone up 30% in 5 years and shows no sign of slowing down.

We are more expensive than Adelaide, Perth and close to Brisbane.

you are parroting something which was true 5 years ago. It is not now.

inner Hobart house prices, over a million now.

Funny thing is at the time western Sydney was seen as the bottomless money pit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's to reach 45-50k average crowds.

They're never getting that in Tasmania. They're looking at 20-25k, similar to GWS amd GC and for that Hobart has enough.

Without their own team, attendances for hawks first 10 years were 16-17k that would be a floor for their own team (20k)

Funny thing is at the time western Sydney was seen as the bottomless money pit
Gc will be ok if they can have some success. The AFL has spent the same propping up each club despite the on field success of GWS and complete on field failure at GC. GC’s crowds would double if they were as strong as GWS. Tas will average over 20k win lose or draw - that is not hard to see.
On GWS they need a makeover. Not calling them Western Sydney was a huge mistake.

There are some who love to post on threads about Tasmania coming into the AFL who love to have an opinion that they believe is fact.

Find it interesting most of those are from supporters of clubs who have been subsidised by the AFL for decades but can not see the irony of them having a crack and being righteous with statements such as 'I believe a population such as....is needed'.

It does not matter how many business cases are put forward with strong numbers there will always be posters having a crack.

Intriguing but it is what it is.

In a funding table that reveals remarkable and growing differences in allocations to clubs, the Saints were clearly the most subsidised of the Victorian clubs, obtaining close to $17 million more than the next Melbourne club,

Only a Carlton supporter would make a forum about a Hobart stadium about the Saints.

Find your relevance in the right forum for your cheap shots:

How does a population of 200k support a stadium of this size?

The population of Geelong is 250k, while the population of Southern Tasmania is 280k.

If Geelong can support a stadium of 30k, why can't Southern Tasmania?

How does a population of 200k support a stadium of this size?
It is true that Hobart only has 240000 but cities with a less overseas have stadiums with similar capacities to the one proposed. One example is Dunedin which has a 30000 capacity stadium in a city of 120000 which is only around half of Hobarts.

It is true that Hobart only has 240000 but cities with a less overseas have stadiums with similar capacities to the one proposed. One example is Dunedin which has a 30000 capacity stadium in a city of 120000 which is only around half of Hobarts.

Here's the thing.....people from other parts of the state might just attend games there as well, as they do in Launceston. Yep it is a hike from the NW but I believe it will be a stadium for the whole state not just Hobart.

Here's the thing.....people from other parts of the state might just attend games there as well, as they do in Launceston. Yep it is a hike from the NW but I believe it will be a stadium for the whole state not just Hobart.
I think Hobart will only really need supporters from Launceston to be viable. I would expect only the most dedicated will travel regularly from the nw for games.

Only geelong members. Not easy for opponents
We keep trying to expand our ground. It's about to become a 42,000 seat stadium when the terrace development is finished, and could push 50,000 seats if they ever built over moorabool st, replacing the reg hickey stand (which is built cheaply compared to the rest of the ground).

They still want to play half their matches in the north of the State. Who in their right mind would build a brand new stadium for only 5 games of footy a year? Hopeless health system, hopeless public housing, hopeless education and yet their Premier spruiks a new football ground??

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobart stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back