Hobart stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

The largest crowd at York park was a touch under 21000. Hawks v tigers. While actual attendances have waned over the years, Hawthorn would actually sell out the major portion of the ground, but some ticket holders often do not attend.

The figures talked about for Tassies own games are well supported by actual evidence. Surely it’s the most stupidest argument against a team there?

A lot more people live within a 90 minute drive of Geelong than a 90 minute drive of Hobart, or a 60 minute drive.

How many other AFL teams are a 90 minute drive from Geelong?

How many other AFL teams are a 90 minute drive from Hobart?

Your comparison doesn’t make sense.

How many other AFL teams are a 90 minute drive from Geelong?

How many other AFL teams are a 90 minute drive from Hobart?

Your comparison doesn’t make sense.
Melbourne is only a cheap 50 minute flight away though I imagine all the home games against Victorian clubs would draw a large amount of travelling fans. Without even counting support for a Tasmanian club the amount of support there is for the traditional vic clubs here is huge

Melbourne is only a cheap 50 minute flight away though I imagine all the home games against Victorian clubs would draw a large amount of travelling fans. Without even counting support for a Tasmanian club the amount of support there is for the traditional vic clubs here is huge

I agree with you. I see value in a team in Hobart because it is a unique location, yet has travel interest (I am biased, I've flown down there 3 times in the past 3 years)

They don't need a roof, nor moveable seating, better plan would be to build a 35K-40K stadium for less.
Back to the topic (sorry) of a new Hobart stadium - I've posted elsewhere in the past that Bellerive is about the
worst possible location for a stadium in Hobart and an alternative new stadium is absolutely vital for any new
Tasmanian AFL club.

That said, having a roof is a totally unecessary extravagance. Hobart, in the rain shadow of Mt Wellington, is the
second driest state capital (after Adelaide), not is it as cold as many here seem to think - it's really not much colder
than Melbourne, and nothing that a few layers, or a coat plus beanie or hoodie can't fix (if you want real cold, try
attending mid-winter NFL games in Buffalo, Chicago, Green Bay etc. Hobart is a balmy, sub-tropical paradise in
comparison to those). Anyway - save a few hundred million by forgetting about any roof.

Back to the topic (sorry) of a new Hobart stadium - I've posted elsewhere in the past that Bellerive is about the
worst possible location for a stadium in Hobart and an alternative new stadium is absolutely vital for any new
Tasmanian AFL club.

That said, having a roof is a totally unecessary extravagance. Hobart, in the rain shadow of Mt Wellington, is the
second driest state capital (after Adelaide), not is it as cold as many here seem to think - it's really not much colder
than Melbourne, and nothing that a few layers, or a coat plus beanie or hoodie can't fix (if you want real cold, try
attending mid-winter NFL games in Buffalo, Chicago, Green Bay etc. Hobart is a balmy, sub-tropical paradise in
comparison to those. Anyway - save a few hundred million by forgetting about any roof.
Agree. And another hundred million by scrapping the moveable seats.
Sure the stadium is partly on reclaimed land so will need extra foundations, but $450M gets you a pretty nice 35K stadium.

Agree. And another hundred million by scrapping the moveable seats.
Sure the stadium is partly on reclaimed land so will need extra foundations, but $450M gets you a pretty nice 35K stadium.
The movable seating is the government’s way of justifying to locals the stadium is not being built purely for footballs it will open opportunities for a league and nrl games concerts ect.and I would say the roof is an requirement put forward buy the afl for gaining a license remember it was only 12 months ago the government were saying a new stadium was not needed

Click on MSM to see the latest design for New Hobart AFL/Cricket stadium - I think it is ideal and will clean up an important rundown waterfront area.

Am I crazy or is the one photo at the top the only photo they've posted?

Am I crazy or is the one photo at the top the only photo they've posted?
The direct ABC link has 2 additional renditions, both being exterior views, one from ground level, the other from above --

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't wait for them to completely underestimate how popular this is going to be.
40k is safe.

It’s totally ridiculous. It’s clearly penny pinching because of all the ridiculous pearl clutching about building it, but it’s just going to cost way, way, way more in the future.

Politics is so stupidly short-sighted.

Looks brilliant. 23k is incredibly short sighted, they arent North Melbourne. 30k minimum and even that will be too small. How did they come up with 23k as a figure?

Holy sheet. I heard something not long ago that if they built Optus Stadium now it would cost 2 to 3 times what it was, so $3-4 billion+

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobart stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back