Hobart stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

We are not affordable. We have unaffordable rentals and a low supply. It has gone up 30% in 5 years and shows no sign of slowing down.

We are more expensive than Adelaide, Perth and close to Brisbane.

you are parroting something which was true 5 years ago. It is not now.

inner Hobart house prices, over a million now.
So only 300,000 Live around Hobart, house prices sky rocket.

6,500,000 Live in Victoria and house prices sky rocket too.

There is no such thing as cheap housing here.

Looks brilliant. 23k is incredibly short sighted, they arent North Melbourne. 30k minimum and even that will be too small. How did they come up with 23k as a figure?

Reckon there will be a lot of fans from Victorian clubs popping across for the weekend when their teams play in Hobart.
The Stadium looks fantastic but yeah … 23k ???

Quotes from lead designer Alastair Richardson today, which address some questions asked itt...

On shadows: “The height of the roof results in a diffused shadow, so you don’t get hard shadows like what you see when the roof is open at Marvel Stadium, or the edge of the MCG on those days. You don’t get a shadow like that at all. So the issue in terms of impact on play is minimised.”

On natural ventilation: “We’re bringing in cold air down the bottom and extracting hot air at the top, essentially.”

On the roof height for cricket: “What we’ve done here is we’ve worked through looking at Hawkeye and ball tracking technology to assess the maximum height that anyone’s hit a ball… then push the roof to 50 metres, which cricket was really happy with, because there’s no instance of anybody hitting a ball 50 metres high.”

On 23k capacity and future expansion (previously stated as 31k and 40k stages): “The gap at the moment between the last row of seats and the roof allows us to bring another annulus of seating around the back of the upper tier and that’s how we achieve the extra capacity.”

The future expansion needs to implemented when its built, in the future from now. 30k minimum!

Stadium looks fantastic, look forward to flying down to catch a game when my team visits.

Regarding capacity- you’d hope a lot of work would have gone into working out what size stadium to build.

I just wonder whether they arrived at 23k based on what they project crowds to be, or if it is based on what they could afford.

It’s quite likely that Tassie spend their first 5-10 years in the lower half of the ladder. Year one they will probably have heaps of members and good crowds, but not sure how well that will be sustained if they are getting regularly pumped.

If Marvel stadium is anything to go by it won't help with the cold. On a cold day or night that place is an absolute ice box with or without the roof closed.

As opposed to the MCG?

The cold doesn't bother me at all, I'm not a fan of wet or windy football though.
frozen let it go GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 23k came from the Carter report. They forecast ROI against crowd capacity and graphed it. The graph peaked at 23k capacity, before levelling out at max ROI until about 28k before ROI drops off. They really should have taken the maximum crowd and ROI, not the max ROI and min cost.

As opposed to the MCG?

Something about Marvel makes it particularly cold. I think the roof keeps the sun out, and it allows L1 to act like a wind tunnel.

The 23k came from the Carter report. They forecast ROI against crowd capacity and graphed it. The graph peaked at 23k capacity, before levelling out at max ROI until about 28k before ROI drops off. They really should have taken the maximum crowd and ROI, not the max ROI and min cost.
Not the Carter Report (though that did say "the stadiums in Hobart and Launceston should not be too large because that will undermine the new club's economics"), rather the Capacity Optimisation Analysis by MI Global Partners:
9072024_1217.jpg
It also suggested somebody would have to pay another ~$30m to add 2,500 seats (therefore ~$90m to get it to 30,000 seats). Not a small problem, since the Tasmanian government have said all along they'd contribute ~$300m and 50% max, which is what they're already at.

But while the 23k starting figure is locked in for seats, there's still a question for the overall capacity, which is something reiterated by Macquarie Point Development Corporation CEO Anne Beach today:
"One of the things Stadiums Tasmania has been talking to us about is not just seated [capacity]—sometimes you can have structured standing... so we'll look at all those different things."

Not the Carter Report (though that did say "the stadiums in Hobart and Launceston should not be too large because that will undermine the new club's economics"), rather the Capacity Optimisation Analysis by MI Global Partners:
View attachment 2043155
It also suggested somebody would have to pay another ~$30m to add 2,500 seats (therefore ~$90m to get it to 30,000 seats). Not a small problem, since the Tasmanian government have said all along they'd contribute ~$300m and 50% max, which is what they're already at.

But while the 23k starting figure is locked in for seats, there's still a question for the overall capacity, which is something reiterated by Macquarie Point Development Corporation CEO Anne Beach today:
So, 30k is the max if they decide to increase down the track.

About five mins in - is she saying that is will be narrower than the MCG? That would be wise.

Last edited:
true, but the larger concerts get shifted to AAMI/Marvel/MCG. what are Tassie's other options for concerts?
The concert dialogue is concerning. Lots of big acts don't play Adelaide, Perth and often Brisbane already and they have big stadiums. Why would they go to Hobart. I feel like this is a selling point that won't be honoured.

true, but the larger concerts get shifted to AAMI/Marvel/MCG. what are Tassie's other options for concerts?
Melbourne

23,000 is 9% of Hobart's population and 4% of Tasmania's. It would be the equivalent of building a 450,000 seat stadium to cater for Melbourne's 5,000,000 population.

I think that I read that the design allows for an upper row of seats to be integrated to make the capacity 40,000 in the future without any structural changes.

Pretty important to make the seats fan friendly rather than go for cavernous at the outset. Looks fantastic to me. Just as long as they never allow Jacqui Lambie and Andrew Wilkie to never attend the stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back