News Hodge to play for Brisbane Lions from 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...n/news-story/bd57bc58516056b59cd3f75c0b40b563

So looks like no UFA, has to be trade or draft. Due to not wanting the mal michael thing to happen again, ironically, cause the Hawks are nice guys, we'll let him go for nothing.

The rule, with the advent of free agency, effectively robs the losing club

[I have no skin in this game, so don't feel any obligation to take it on board ~ B&GBlood]

Even if the old rules existed I doubt we'd have held the Lions to ransome.

Yeah, will be pre-season draft by the looks of it, or a nominal pick if we want to get it signed off earlier.

Curious from your team's perspective - is there a half decent half-back prospect that this move will cost game time? I mean leadership is one thing - but if that costs a kid development which then in turn leads him to seek a homecoming trade like you guys often have to put up with - is that really worth it?

It was more just having coffees I think this guy is a reliable source he works at the club .Besides born agains are renowned tight arses .

Probably because a lot of them give more than most to charity and are only human. Not sure the slur is necessary. (Mind you most are probably not on anywhere the same wicket as Gary)

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...n/news-story/bd57bc58516056b59cd3f75c0b40b563

So looks like no UFA, has to be trade or draft. Due to not wanting the mal michael thing to happen again, ironically, cause the Hawks are nice guys, we'll let him go for nothing.

The rule, with the advent of free agency, effectively robs the losing club

[I have no skin in this game, so don't feel any obligation to take it on board ~ B&GBlood]

Interesting that Niall has written this. I presume it's correct, but it would seem to run counter to what the CBA says about delisting players.

Interesting that Niall has written this. I presume it's correct, but it would seem to run counter to what the CBA says about delisting players.

Different to my reading of it also. Would expect Niall to be more knowledgeable than me though so happy to back him.

Curious from your team's perspective - is there a half decent half-back prospect that this move will cost game time?

Not really, no. Harris Andrews is our future captain. The value of having Hodge down back with him will be immense.

im ok with this.
like Mitch his future is in coaching and they need to go elsewhere in order to broaden their knowledge and experience.
that and im not sure how much he still has to offer as a player.

happy to help Brisbane get the deal done on the condition that Hodge goes to Sicily when we play them, regardless of what part of the ground he's in.

As loyal as they come. Hodgey could have left Hawthorn many times over the years for more money but he stuck with us. In my mind he will always be up there with John Kennedy Snr, Arthur, Matthews, Hudson, Tuck, Dunstall, Brereton, Platten and Crawford as Hawthorn legends. I wish him all the best at Brisbane and will be watching and cheering for him.

Surprised to read they are offering two years for him. Thought he was showing some real signs of slowing down this year so one more year was possible but would be a risk.
Have no issue if he chooses to take up the Lions offer, he's been a legend of our club and this won't change that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While it will be weird to see him running around in different colours I'm not really to bothered. His best playing days are behind him and he has every right to bank some coin late in his career.

Just realised Hodgey won his first Norm Smith medal on this very day nine years ago!

He should absolutely go over there if he wants. He's got the rest of his life to be a retired Hawthorn legend.

Play for a season, be assistant to Fagan for a few years and then move on to the next thing.

Hope he goes well!

Actually that was on my birthday, so it was yesterday. He also won it on my birthday in 2014. He always provided the best presents.

DFA doesn't have any compensation attached.

Our pick 18 will be used to get Charlie Cameron. Our next pick after that is 41 (third round) which will be eaten up in academy bidding.

We don't have a fourth rounder. If we go the quick trade route it will almost certainly be pick 73..
If you have Pick 88 we'd probably say, 'SOLD!' Well, it seems to be our MO of late. ;)

Aramis, I really think you need to step outside and chill for a bit. There is no proof whatsoever so suggest Hodge had this planned since before he retired. Fages clearly approached him multiple times to twist his arm and up until 2 days ago the offer clearly wasn't juicy enough. Now it is, so only now has it become (or nearly become) a reality. At the very least, given everything he's done for the club you could give him the benefit of the doubt and actually take him at his word. You really owe him that much!

As for the one club memorabilia, just return it. They're not evil people, I'm sure they'd be quite understanding. It's not really a hard concept, particularly for an adult! I'm not really sure why this is an issue with you.

As for the news itself, the way I see it is Hodge has retired. He no longer plays footy. Any appearances on ground in a Lions guernsey is simply on field assistant coaching. He's there for neither personal nor team accolades (Brisbane ain't winning shit in the next 2 years). He probably won't even be expected to play full seasons. He's simply bringing back the good old days of player/coach. This is unlike Mitch who went with an reasonable opportunity to win another flag. Not a slight on Mitch in any way, just pointing out how I view the difference. This approach may seem like I'm burying my head in the sand a bit but **** it, I'll handle it however I want.

Don't get all the commotion.

He gave us 4 flags on a silver ******* platter. 2 Normies. 15 years of memories and 305 games where he was battered from pillar to post for our enjoyment. From the very moment this legend donned our jumper he stopped at nothing to win us the game. He endured broken bones, aching joints, and put his body and mind through hell just to give us a smile on the weekend.

And you have the nerve to have a ******* whinge.

Whatever happens Hodgey you will always be a Brown and Gold legend. Dermie did it and it never stopped me from loving him. Mitchell did it. Lewis did it. Doesn't change the fact that you are a legend of the club and always will be.

This is his retirement fund. Let him enjoy it.

Heard an interesting anecdote about GA from an insider( employee)at the Suns . There was a breakfast meeting of the midfield some time during the season at a cafe ,about 5 players including Ablett I was told were there and the bill came to around $60 which GA picked up with his credit card . The rest of the guys didn't think much more about it until they all received a text from the highest paid player at the club to words the effect of " just bring the $12 for the meeting the other day to training if that's alright " don't think he was over popular .

GAblett seems very money focused. His move to GCS was all about that and his move away, now that he is in the last year of a heavily front loaded contract stinks of money too. Comes across as a very average person for mine...

Then again, his genes aren't great in that area...

So what does Hodge do in terms of appearing in the back of a Hilux on GF day?

If he knows he is going to brissy does he tell the AFL that he won't be appearing or does he still do given he has said he hasn't made a decision yet?

(FWIW i think he is going to take the offer given what he said on the footy show).

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hodge to play for Brisbane Lions from 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back