Streaming House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel)

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed with no Robert's Rebellion but in general a good approach I reckon

I spose he has a point that by the end of GoT we will know everything there is to know about the rebellion we already know the whole story anyway and how it ends. I can't see it being that engrossing as a stand alone series

So really it's nothing to do with GoT whatsoever but they'll use the name to milk it and gain audience traction.

How about you finish your ****ing books before cashing in on more tv dammit!

What about Sothoryos , as a destination for a "spin-off".

Ausraki tribes riding giant mutant kangaroos :p

you could do the adventures of Euron Greyjoy as he sails the seas in the time between the rebellion and GoT starting

Bit disappointing that they could be finishing with Westeros, old mate has created his own world and would be good to see a bit of the land before the current series. I know a lot of it has been and will be covered but obviously its not as extensive as a series would be

Disappointed with no Robert's Rebellion but in general a good approach I reckon

I spose he has a point that by the end of GoT we will know everything there is to know about the rebellion we already know the whole story anyway and how it ends. I can't see it being that engrossing as a stand alone series

Bit disappointing that they could be finishing with Westeros, old mate has created his own world and would be good to see a bit of the land before the current series. I know a lot of it has been and will be covered but obviously its not as extensive as a series would be

They'll do a Robert's Rebellion series a decade from now when there's Game of Thrones nostalgia and they can get away with casting new, cheaper actors because the originals will be too old to play 30 years younger.

They'll do a Robert's Rebellion series a decade from now when there's Game of Thrones nostalgia and they can get away with casting new, cheaper actors because the originals will be too old to play 30 years younger.
But didn't Robert's Rebellion happen some time ago, and they did cast a younger Ned Stark for Game of Thrones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin's reasons for not doing a Robert's Rebellion story is a good one - there's no suspense. It's just too well documented already.

Everyone knew how the movie "Titanic" would end (hint: the ship sinks) - but the key storytelling points meant that millions of idiots parted with their cash to watch a poorly acted piece of gibberish. With "Robert's Rebellion", not only is the ending known, but so too are most (if not all) of the key storytelling points along the way.

Martin's reasons for not doing a Robert's Rebellion story is a good one - there's no suspense. It's just too well documented already.

Everyone knew how the movie "Titanic" would end (hint: the ship sinks) - but the key storytelling points meant that millions of idiots parted with their cash to watch a poorly acted piece of gibberish. With "Robert's Rebellion", not only is the ending known, but so too are most (if not all) of the key storytelling points along the way.
By this logic nobody should have gone to see Rogue One

By this logic nobody should have gone to see Rogue One

Rogue one is the same as Titanic surely, you know the end result but you don'rt know how the will get there.

Same with the 3 prequels sure you know he is going to end up bad, but how

No.. it's a similar case to Titanic. The end point was known - but how they got to that point was not.
I'm not sure Roberts Rebellion is well known to most.

Robert wins, Kingslayer kills the crazy king. Ned Stark stands alongside Robert. Neds sister dies.

There are certain things known , as in any prequel, but it can be fleshed out enough. I agree though that a 5 year wait would work better

For book nerds maybe it's all been told but we've only seen and heard relative snippets. They'd create or adapt new characters for a series too. Knowing Team Robert wins at the very end doesn't mean they can't make a show out of it.

And Titanic's story was about Kate and Jack and how their short romance changed her life forever. The ship itself was a brilliant setting and plot device.

Robert wins, Kingslayer kills the crazy king. Ned Stark stands alongside Robert. Neds sister dies.

There are certain things known , as in any prequel, but it can be fleshed out enough. I agree though that a 5 year wait would work better

He did specifically say by the end of the series everything will be known

We know about the battle at the trident
we know who took the sister
we will know soon enough who jon's parents definitely are
we know the end result
etc etc

The future of the Game of Thrones franchise has become clearer, and that future lies firmly in the past.

HBO is officially moving forward with a pilot order for a still-untitled Game of Thrones prequel, created by Jane Goldman (Kick-Ass, Kingsman: The Secret Service) and George R. R. Martin — the author of the A Song of Ice and Fire novel series on which Thrones is based.

Set thousands of years before the events of Thrones, the project chronicles the world's descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. A logline from the network teased the plot without divulging any specifics. "Only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros' history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend — it's not the story we think we know."

The pilot is based on a story from Goldman and Martin, with teleplay credited to Goldman. Goldman will also serve as showrunner. In addition to Goldman and Martin, executive producers on the series include current Game of Thrones producer Vince Gerardis, as well as Damages and Bloodline co-creator Daniel Zelman.

Goldman and Martin's Game of Thrones prequel is the first of several potential series set in the world of Westeros to move forward at HBO beyond the script phase. In May 2017, a multitude of writers were revealed by HBO to be working on what Martin himself has described as "successor shows." Those writers include Goldman, Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island), Brian Helgeland (Legend), Carly Wray (Westworld), and Thrones veteran Bryan Cogman. Game of Thrones creators and showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss are uninvolved in the successor show effort, focusing instead on the forthcoming final season of Thrones after more than a decade spent wandering the world of the Seven Kingdoms.

Speaking previously with The Hollywood Reporter, HBO's Casey Bloys said that any Game of Thrones successors, if greenlit, would not air "until at least a year after the final season." Bloys also added that he did not expect every one of the scripts to move forward beyond the page.

"I think that is probably unlikely," Bloys told THR in July 2017. "This show is very special. I'm not looking to have as many as possible. My sense right now is we would be very lucky if one of the four rises to the level that we have set. Now, theoretically, what if they're all great? That's a high-class problem that I'll solve when it comes to that. But knowing what we know about the development process, that's why we wanted to increase our odds. But I do not see a scenario where we have more than one. But again, high-class problem."

"I'll do anywhere from zero to five," he added in a January 2018 interview. "Though probably more likely one. But we'll see."

https://edit.hollywoodreporter.com/...-at-hbo-george-rr-martin-jane-goldman-1118513

Could be good.

I am sceptical about anything not involving Benioff and Weiss. Martin my have wrote the original story but they gave GoT it's look and 'feel'.

I really really hope I'm wrong.

My problem with doing Roberts Rebellion is them having recast to find younger versions of current characters. The current cast just seem to nail it so well, I can't imagine anyone else doing those characters justice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Streaming House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back