Streaming House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel)

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was fine, given it was cut 2 episodes short and had to deal with the writers strike. Removing Nettles seems to be the only part that seriously contradicts Fire and Blood. Wherever Otto is is also intriguing as he's not where he should be from the book. They should have kept Milly Alcock as Rhaenyra though as Emma D'arcy doesn't really have the same volatility I would expect from a Targaryen queen. Hopefully the last 2 seasons get at least 10 episodes each.
Alicent's entire character is also completely different to F&B. In the book she is Cersei-like who would do anything for her children/family. In this adaption (specifically Season 2) she is now a complete traitor who sells out and basically sends her children to death. Aegon and Aemond who she's raised for nearly 20 years to fight this war and take the throne, her other "kind" son Daeron, her brother Gwayne, father Otto, "lover" Cole, the rest of the Hightowers, all to death.

It's a freaking crazy change to the character, even if you compare it to Season 1.

Alicent's entire character is also completely different to F&B. In the book she is Cersei-like who would do anything for her children/family. In this adaption (specifically Season 2) she is now a complete traitor who sells out and basically sends her children to death. Aegon and Aemond who she's raised for nearly 20 years to fight this war and take the throne, her other "kind" son Daeron, her brother Gwayne, father Otto, "lover" Cole, the rest of the Hightowers, all to death.

It's a freaking crazy change to the character, even if you compare it to Season 1.
Yes, but Alicent basically has no agency from this point on in Fire and Blood and all she does is unsuccessfully plead with Rhaenyra anyway. Changing Rhaenyra's character is more concerning to me given the removal of Nettles.
Especially how Nettles leads to Rhaenyra distrusting Daemon and part of her descent into paranoia.

I wonder what I felt at the finale of GoT Season 2..
I was thinking this. That show did a lot of heavy lifting early that paid off.

Yeah, very disappointed with where the season ended up as I was really enjoying it up until Rooks rest. That was a stinker of final episode.

I don't care at all about Alicent and her revelations which is pretty much just becoming a turn coat.

And to add insult we have Helaena pretty much spoiling how it's going to end at Harrenhal.

I didn't know about the 2 year wait for season 3, I might not even care to watch it anymore by then.

Vulture recap summed it up …

“This series’ most persistent flaw is that it is forever pulling back when it should run headlong, saving “story” for some imaginary later, taking for granted that we’ll keep tuning in. It’s so afraid of running out of gas that it never dares to floor it, which is especially damning for a show that insists its protagonists are reckless, twitchy, dangerous. ”

It is a bit silly that they're at Kings Landing and Dragonstone which are so close together. Just fly dragons at each other and duke it out?

It's not like one's at Winterfell and the other at Dorne..

This series will end after 4 seasons

#HouseOfTheDragon showrunner Ryan Condal revealed the series will continue with two more seasons and officially end with Season 4.

Season 3 begins production in early 2025.

I was saying to my wife last night it felt like it had enough story for 3-4 seasons but not much more so glad they aren't stretching it out.

That other spin off will be out in the next year or two so probably a good idea they're staggering it.

It is a bit silly that they're at Kings Landing and Dragonstone which are so close together. Just fly dragons at each other and duke it out?

It's not like one's at Winterfell and the other at Dorne..

Just have a stare off?

Who blinks wins!

stare staring GIF by Mike Diva

I wonder what I felt at the finale of GoT Season 2..

Treat yourself to a rewatch of Season 2 Ep 10. It's one of the best GoT episodes. We know all the characters by then and they all get a guernsey in different scenes.

Joffrey, Tyrion, Sansa, Rob Stark, Cersei, Margaery, Jorah, Daenerys, Littlefinger, Jaime, Brienne, Jon Snow, Ygritte, Theon, Arya, Gendry, Hot Pie, Jaqen, Drogo, Stannis, Melisandre, Maester Luwin, Bran, Hodor, Osha, Sam.

We get a cliffhanger as Sam is surrounded by an army of wights and a White Walker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treat yourself to a rewatch of Season 2 Ep 10. It's one of the best GoT episodes. We know all the characters by then and they all get a guernsey in different scenes.

Joffrey, Tyrion, Sansa, Rob Stark, Cersei, Margaery, Jorah, Daenerys, Littlefinger, Jaime, Brienne, Jon Snow, Ygritte, Theon, Arya, Gendry, Hot Pie, Jaqen, Drogo, Stannis, Melisandre, Maester Luwin, Bran, Hodor, Osha, Sam.

We get a cliffhanger as Sam is surrounded by an army of wights and a White Walker.

Yeh I tried to post the YouTube link in here for the last 3 minutes with Sam and it’s chilling. Those first 3 seasons were so good.

So I bit the bullet and decided to find out what happens in the books.

A theory I have seen a few times on why the season ended the way it did..

Jace dies in the next battle and they didn't want to end another season with Rhaenyras son dying

Jace dies in the next battle and they didn't want to end another season with Rhaenyras son dying
I had hear rumors they were going to swap Rhaneyra taking KL and the Gullet for that reason. Allows some more time with Jace and adds some further fuel to why he would rush off to the Gullet if he's be told to stay on Dragonstone and sit patient as heir while Rhaneyra and the Dragonseeds take Kings Landing. Interesting to see what they open the season up with next.

Apparently the showrunners had Ep 9 and 10 already written and planned out (following the books it would have been an epic ending to the season), but due to HBO cutting the budget, they had to shorten the season to 8 episodes, which meant Eps 9/10 are now moved to the beginning of Season 3.

It felt like a penultimate episode building up to a dramatic season ender.

Imagine my disappointment when I opened the thread and realised.
Quite a way through and my brain said '' hang on where is the big battle have we got time oh wtf no - montage no no no '' cue music

Apparently the showrunners had Ep 9 and 10 already written and planned out (following the books it would have been an epic ending to the season), but due to HBO cutting the budget, they had to shorten the season to 8 episodes, which meant Eps 9/10 are now moved to the beginning of Season 3.
It did feel like a filler episode

The mud wrestle , Alicent, Daemon , Haelena and Aemond - its as you say an odd way to do it

This was from a year ago

Apparently the decision to do 8 episodes was story driven. Don’t be surprised if the final two seasons contain 8 episodes each as well.

That would explain it. It felt like an episode 8 of a 9 or 10 part season. A possible false economy by the HBO execs. They still have to fund season 3 but due to a poor ending to season 2 they may have lost some of their audience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Streaming House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back