Teams Houston Texans - Battle Red

Remove this Banner Ad

Mario Williams: Cop That!

It wasn't too long ago a player by the name of Michael Strahan began his NFL career in 1993 with just 1 sack from 0 starts, after 4 seasons as a Giant he had registered a total of just 18 career sacks.

Or another man named Jason Taylor who started off with just 5 sacks his rookie year, and 3 years later had only 16.5 to his name.

Now, both stand immortalised as definate HOF's and 2 of the greatest pass rushers the NFL has ever seen.

Those sceptics who rode the wave of criticism directed at the Houston Texans for taking DE Mario Williams with it's 1st pick in the 2006 NFL Draft: EAT YOUR WORDS.

After what many considered an 'underperformed' rookie season, which saw him struggle to find his feet and only show brief moments of the brilliance he was expected to deliver immedietely, Williams has stamped his mark as the superb talent he is, and in turn left the likes of Vince Young and Reggie Bush, the very players expected to go before him, in his wake.

53 tackles, 13 sacks, 2 FF's and a PD. His stats and performances speak for themselves.

Stick it up 'em Mario.

Re: Mario Williams: Cop That!

Mario is having a great year. I find it funny reading various websites that now the Saints are being fried in some quarters for taking Reggie Bush so high when at the time of the draft every man and his dog was canning the Texans for taking Williams with the number 1 pick.

He's done really well and good on him. There haven't been many rookies come in with the amount of pressure on their shoulders that Mario had. He was a marked man from the minute he was drafted and the critics were just waiting for him to fail but he's shown them all. Those are some damn good numbers he's put up this season :thumbsu:

They are impressive numbers . . . and I haven't watched anything more than the highlights of today's game . . . but a lot of his sacks come when he's being blocked by a RB or TE.

That tells me a lot about their defense and the numbers they're bringing to the line of scrimage.

I don't doubt he's been worth the faith the Texans showed in him but I do think he's playing in a very under-rated defense.

Are you trying to say that he's simply a "scheme" player JeffDunne?

I haven't seen a great deal of Texans highlights this season but from what I've seen he was getting blocked by more than just RB's and TE's.

He and Amobi Okoye are going to be a force to be reckoned with up front in the years to come...

No, not really. He is a great talent (was that ever really in dispute?)

I guess I'm saying I'm not creaming myself over his stats this season. If you watch the highlights again, that first sack is a classic example of what I'm talking about. A young RB should never be expected to block a gun DE on his own. Houston's LB's are very under-rated, and Ryans in particular is a beauty. If that draft was held again I'd take him over both Williams and Bush.

If Williams was playing DE for the Saints (or the Falcons) do you think he'd have put up those numbers?

It's pretty stupid to write off a defensive linesman in his rookie season too. There's a huge step-up from college O-lines to pro. Williams was written off simply because they didn't take the obvious choice . . . and it was the Texans. Bush has been a boon for New Orleans and I'm not just talking on field. People can sell him short all they like, but there's not many rookies that get targeted by D's like Reggie was last year. This year he's been the main focus of our offense. Not many players even veterans would have coped with the workload he's had. Running routes, carrying the ball and returning when the situation has needed it, he's had to do it all.

They are impressive numbers . . . and I haven't watched anything more than the highlights of today's game . . . but a lot of his sacks come when he's being blocked by a RB or TE.

That tells me a lot about their defense and the numbers they're bringing to the line of scrimage.

I don't doubt he's been worth the faith the Texans showed in him but I do think he's playing in a very under-rated defense.

He was being blocked by a tight end or running back because he had already burned his tackle assignment around the edge.

I think you should watch the footage again (not sure if it was his first for the day, but the first one in the nfl.com highlights during the 2nd Quarter)

He went in a straight line from his set position to the QB.

I think you should watch the footage again (not sure if it was his first for the day, but the first one in the nfl.com highlights during the 2nd Quarter)

He went in a straight line from his set position to the QB.

Well if the Broncos are that shit and that stupid to leave a legitimate pass- rush threat open on the edge that isn't Mario's fault. He just takes what he is given, and good players capitalise.

Destroyed the Left Tackle for that 2nd sack and was double-teamed a few times. He's a big part of why that D is that good.

He's a freak of an athlete, not many blokes 6'7 and 290 pounds can move like he does. They lucked out on Travis Johnson but Williams and Okoye are quality.

It wasn't too long ago a player by the name of Michael Strahan began his NFL career in 1993 with just 1 sack from 0 starts, after 4 seasons as a Giant he had registered a total of just 18 career sacks.

Or another man named Jason Taylor who started off with just 5 sacks his rookie year, and 3 years later had only 16.5 to his name.

Now, both stand immortalised as definate HOF's and 2 of the greatest pass rushers the NFL has ever seen.

Those sceptics who rode the wave of criticism directed at the Houston Texans for taking DE Mario Williams with it's 1st pick in the 2006 NFL Draft: EAT YOUR WORDS.

After what many considered an 'underperformed' rookie season, which saw him struggle to find his feet and only show brief moments of the brilliance he was expected to deliver immedietely, Williams has stamped his mark as the superb talent he is, and in turn left the likes of Vince Young and Reggie Bush, the very players expected to go before him, in his wake.

53 tackles, 13 sacks, 2 FF's and a PD. His stats and performances speak for themselves.

Stick it up 'em Mario.

Let's not carried away ALM_30. As JD points out that Reggie Bush has been the main focus player this season, opposition had plenty to see what damage Reggie was capable of last season and it was always going to come back to Bush lifting a few notches. JD says he'd take Ryans over Williams & Bush in hindsight but I think without Reggie's outstanding season debut, there is much doubt that New Orleans would qualify for a Conf Champship game let alone win their division last season.

Credit to the Texans for keeping the faith in former #1 pick Ron Dayne, signing up Ahman Green and don't forget they picked up TE Owen Daniels in Round 4 of the 2006 draft so I guess you can say they did their homework.

I don't know much about Robert Meechem who the Saints picked #1 this season but I think it's CRAZY to write him off just yet.

He's a freak of an athlete, not many blokes 6'7 and 290 pounds can move like he does. They lucked out on Travis Johnson but Williams and Okoye are quality.

I can see the Texans being a legitimate Super Bowl threat within 5 years. They are building a quality young side and provided they can get a franchise QB in, the major ingredients are there for a multi success era. It's great to see them finally getting there act together.

Blokes like WILLIAMS, OKOYE, RYANS (Superstar), ROBINSON, A. JOHNSON, DAYNE, DANIELS on offence etc are a great foundation.

Let's not carried away ALM_30. As JD points out that Reggie Bush has been the main focus player this season, opposition had plenty to see what damage Reggie was capable of last season and it was always going to come back to Bush lifting a few notches. JD says he'd take Ryans over Williams & Bush in hindsight but I think without Reggie's outstanding season debut, there is much doubt that New Orleans would qualify for a Conf Champship game let alone win their division last season.

Credit to the Texans for keeping the faith in former #1 pick Ron Dayne, signing up Ahman Green and don't forget they picked up TE Owen Daniels in Round 4 of the 2006 draft so I guess you can say they did their homework.

I don't know much about Robert Meechem who the Saints picked #1 this season but I think it's CRAZY to write him off just yet.

I'm just happy to see him sticking it up a few people who wrote him off after his rookie year, that's all. Showing he does have what it takes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see the Texans being a legitimate Super Bowl threat within 5 years. They are building a quality young side and provided they can get a franchise QB in, the major ingredients are there for a multi success era. It's great to see them finally getting there act together.

Blokes like WILLIAMS, OKOYE, RYANS (Superstar), ROBINSON, A. JOHNSON on offence etc are a great foundation.

Structure is there no doubt. Making the play-offs next season is one thing, overcoming the rampaging Colts is another. Teams take 3 years of a fixed structure to win a play-off game I've noticed. So your 5 year projection is spot on. I put Minnesota in that class as well.

I'm just happy to see him sticking it up a few people who wrote him off after his rookie year, that's all. Showing he does have what it takes.

Who are these ppl? media or buffoons on BF? I must admit I ridiculed them for overlooking Reggie as their #1 pick. :eek: AND I wasn't ALONe was I?? ;) ..thinking JD here...LOL!! may have to bump that thread to expose the BF BUFFOONS. :p

Well pointed out ALM30.. But I never wrote him off... that's something I can't recall anyway.

Structure is there no doubt. Making the play-offs next season is one thing, overcoming the rampaging Colts is another. Teams take 3 years of a fixed structure to win a play-off game I've noticed. So your 5 year projection is spot on. I put Minnesota in that class as well.

If you take a look at some of their results in recent years the Texans regularly match- up and compete well with the Colts surprisingly enough, they may have even beaten them a couple of times. I think as the Texans start to really make their move, they should be able to account for the Colts within 2-3 years.

If you take a look at some of their results in recent years the Texans regularly match- up and compete well with the Colts surprisingly enough, they may have even beaten them a couple of times. I think as the Texans start to really make their move, they should be able to account for the Colts within 2-3 years.

The Colts won the first four meetings of the 2002 (inaugural Texans season) & 2003 seasons.

In the 2004 campaign, the Texans (7-9) were NO match for INDY losing 14-49 & 14-23.

In the 2005 season, the 14-2 Colts swept them again 38-20 & 31-17.

The 2006 campaign however.. Indy (12-4) split them by winning @ home in week two 43-24 but dropping the Week 16 rematch 24-27.

So really the Texans owe the Colts a fair few hidings and as we know the nature of sports, the wheel will eventually turn for the Texans. Great omen for them to take the Colts as a scalp in the Colts SB season. :thumbsu:

I watched the replay of the Texans/Broncos game earlier and while I did miss the first sack he was pretty much double teamed on the second,third he was being blocked by the TE.
Either way the kid obviously has talent and as a few posters have alluded to it generally takes rookie DE's at least one season to develop.
I can only hope the Falcons top pick from the last draft,Jamaal Anderson steps it up next season ala Mario. Kid hasn't even recorded a sack yet. :(

This kid was the number one overall pick, and he is finally performing like how a first rounder should. Should he be taken number one overall over Bush? The jury is still out on that one. Bush has obviously had a poor season but he wasnt exactly healthy (knee) for most of it.

We know the main reason for taking Williams had a lot to do with Peyton Manning. They even said it, when you play in a division with Manning you need a good defense and that was a lot of the thought behind taking Williams and Okoye.

And correct me if i'm wrong as i'm not entirely sure, did they not overlook Bush because they thought Dominic Davis was the man??? Wheres he at now??

Yep that was the main reasoning for taking him and the backlash in Houston was unbelievable. It has been great this season to see him step up and show everyone just how much talent he has. Kubiak has finally got the organisation heading in the right and in the next 4-5 years the defense is going to be a very scary outfit.

And correct me if i'm wrong as i'm not entirely sure, did they not overlook Bush because they thought Dominic Davis was the man??? Wheres he at now??

and have quite a bit of the cap tied up in the RB possie too........taking Bush would have taken it to a level above and beyond what the RB corps deserve.

the Texans made the right call imo. Not to lower the abilities of Reggie, but can anyone really see him having the same effect as Deuce? He's just not built for that sort of play. The Texans looked at long-term value.....they'll get it with MW.

I didn't think the Texans did the wrong thing at the time, taking Williams. DE was a need, and Williams was the best defensive player in the draft.

I've always been a need over BPA guy, so thought it was a good move. Some people were all about the need to sell tickets, so take Bush for that reason. But nothing sells tickets like winning games, and Williams was the better choice for that, at the time.

Of course if they knew Domanick Davis/Williams and Ahman Green wouldn't pan out, maybe their choice would be different.

How many round 1 picks do they need on defense? :)

When I look at the Texans D I see a Carltonesque bevy of early draft picks. If these blokes all live up to their potential they'll have a formidable D over the coming years.

How many round 1 picks do they need on defense? :)

When I look at the Texans D I see a Carltonesque bevy of early draft picks. If these blokes all live up to their potential they'll have a formidable D over the coming years.

But Carlton dont have a defence :) Having the #1 pick for the last 3 years has probably been a hinderance for the scum. Not that it overly concerns me either. The best available will almost always be an on-baller in the AFL......it would take a lot of guts to overlook a best-available and instead, select a player that fills a need but isnt worth the high pick, and then seeing the former killing it at another club.

Houston selected on needs, not necesarily best player available based on college performance.....you may argue that the D isnt a need for them, but they're really putting together a good roster all-up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams Houston Texans - Battle Red

Remove this Banner Ad

Back