Player

Team Captain
Oct 29, 2001
Up the Coromandel Peninsula
Other Teams
Collingwood
They have played against each other before

The Wallabies must be more competitive than the Lions

Play it under RL rules, therefore no side can complain they don't understand the rules.

Could be bit of a grudge match

Neither side would want to play of course, most to lose would be RL afraid they are of offering a RU trial.

Although RU wouldn't be to eager for the standard of their international team and therefore international rugby held to measure by the Kangaroos.

Still I would pay good money to see it.

You wouldnt be talking about Andrew Johns' plans for a super 9's comp featuring both League and Union teams playing against each other, Player?
Interesting concept, if the 2 codes can put their bickering aside.
For those that haven't seen his proposal, he's talking about having a round - robin tournament to be played before the NRL premeirship and Super 12 (is that right, bulltige? ;) ) series.

9 players per side (hence super 9's)

10-15 minute halves

3 tackle league rules in the first half with no kicks allowed until last tackle. Reverts to rugby rules in 2nd half with rucks and mauls, but no line-outs.

Bonus points for tries scored from own half with tries worth less if scored from kicks.

Tap resarts after tries, with teams given the choice of a drop kick conversion attempt after a try or one bonus tackle from the opponents 20 metre line.

No penalty goal attempts.

The reasoning behind it is for overseas Union teams to get an idea of conditions and organisation before the World Cup, and preseason conditioning for the Leaguies and the Super 12 teams. And for some bragging rights, I'd imagine too.

Originally posted by The Hippie
You wouldnt be talking about Andrew Johns' plans for a super 9's comp featuring both League and Union teams playing against each other, Player?
Interesting concept, if the 2 codes can put their bickering aside.
For those that haven't seen his proposal, he's talking about having a round - robin tournament to be played before the NRL premeirship and Super 12 (is that right, bulltige? ;) ) series.

9 players per side (hence super 9's)

10-15 minute halves

3 tackle league rules in the first half with no kicks allowed until last tackle. Reverts to rugby rules in 2nd half with rucks and mauls, but no line-outs.

Bonus points for tries scored from own half with tries worth less if scored from kicks.

Tap resarts after tries, with teams given the choice of a drop kick conversion attempt after a try or one bonus tackle from the opponents 20 metre line.

No penalty goal attempts.

The reasoning behind it is for overseas Union teams to get an idea of conditions and organisation before the World Cup, and preseason conditioning for the Leaguies and the Super 12 teams. And for some bragging rights, I'd imagine too.

i saw it in the sunday telegraph. i think it would be a bit of a mickey mouse event. i certainly dont think stadium australia would pack out as johns said, thats tantamount to saying it would be more popular than the state of origin and the grand final (bit rich). not surprising to see the telegraph beat it up into a full page, where the sun herald actually got talking about footy. could you imagine the gloating by the code that comes off best?? no thanks.

not only that, when i first saw the headline i thought it was the first step towards a hybrid game, which of course is a stupid idea.

Stupidest idea ever. It is like the Aussie Rules/Gaelic football compromise games - the best parts of both games are taken out. Why not just play a game of touch.

Also stupid is any concept of playing half a game of each sport.

A game under union rules would go:

Kangaroos kick off - Wallabies kick ball out, win lineout, drive forward in a tight maul, get penalty, Burke kicks goal - repeat. Occasionally there might be a scrum where all the Kagaroo front row would become quadraplegics.

Under League Rules, the Wallaby forwards would get shown up as too big and lumbering, and would be isolated in defence, and smashed in attack.

Originally posted by TigerCraig
Stupidest idea ever. It is like the Aussie Rules/Gaelic football compromise games - the best parts of both games are taken out. Why not just play a game of touch.

Also stupid is any concept of playing half a game of each sport.

A game under union rules would go:

Kangaroos kick off - Wallabies kick ball out, win lineout, drive forward in a tight maul, get penalty, Burke kicks goal - repeat. Occasionally there might be a scrum where all the Kagaroo front row would become quadraplegics.

Under League Rules, the Wallaby forwards would get shown up as too big and lumbering, and would be isolated in defence, and smashed in attack.

i remember a few years back when they played a game against each other, the first half was under league rules, the second under union rules. it proved nothing. league carved up in the first half and union smashed em in the 2nd. your right, it would be like that gaelic football/aussie rules hybrid game and hasnt that taken off :rolleyes:

I can't belive that Andrew Johns is coming out with the idea of some sort of hybrid tournament featuring teams from England, NZ and Australia.

Surely he should be focussing on the problems within League before coming up with such mickey mouse style idea's.

Andrew Johns

A. Johns should be focussing how he presents himself and the image of rugby league, before he starts bleeping off about this sort of match up.

I agree with Nicho18 (for a change;) ......however, having said that I would still like to see one game a year from both the Wallabies and Kangaroos as I have yet not had the pleasure:D

Re: Andrew Johns

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
A. Johns should be focussing how he presents himself and the image of rugby league, before he starts bleeping off about this sort of match up.

I agree with Nicho18 (for a change;) ......however, having said that I would still like to see one game a year from both the Wallabies and Kangaroos as I have yet not had the pleasure:D

lol ms storm ;) it is a stupid idea, i thought "what a typical daily telegraph beatup", struggling for good sports writers to write articles, they beat up this mickey mouse idea for a whole page :rolleyes:

league will do just about anything to leech off the success of rugby union. this is just a half @ssed attempt to gain some international exposure because league cant do it off its own back. i mean, why would people in france and italy give a **** about league, at least this way, using another sport's exciting and dynamic product, they can try for some international credibility, albeit a hybrid, mickeymouse event. oh well, you cant blame them for trying :p:p:p:p

When Union first turned professional Wigan played Bath in 2 games, one of each rules.Obviously they each won their respective code but Wigan were by far the most impressive side but I think most of this had to do with the greater fitness of professional athletes than better ball handling skills etc.

i think andrew johns' idea has some merit
a major pre-season tournament of 9 a side or something

you could have A Sydney Team A (Eagles, souths, roosters, sharks players, Sydney Team B (Dogs, eels, tigers,panthers players), A NSW team (canberra, knights, dragons, storm players), Queensland team and an Other Team (NZ, Storm, other countries players etc) then you could have the Waratahs, Reds, Brumbies, and an Other Rugby Union Team, it would be dynamite !!!!!!!!!! Ratings through the roof, crowds packing stadiums as long as the stars play ... and we could see who would really be the best ... my pick would be the NSW team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DHead....

Originally posted by GH_
league will do just about anything to leech off the success of rugby union. this is just a half @ssed attempt to gain some international exposure because league cant do it off its own back. i mean, why would people in france and italy give a **** about league, at least this way, using another sport's exciting and dynamic product, they can try for some international credibility, albeit a hybrid, mickeymouse event. oh well, you cant blame them for trying :p:p:p:p

HOw long are the PRIMARY school holidays in your state...because hopefully when school returns, you might have too much homework to return here and talk more rubbish:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

How about the Wallabies v the Kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back