NRL NRL 2024 - Grand Final Melbourne vs Penrith

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand that mentality at all. This isn't the NFL, the ball must touch the grass to be awarded a try. In this instance, it hasn't. It should not have been awarded.

Nothing wrong with using slow motion if it gets the right result.

It's at worst inconclusive to overturn and that's at utter best, think he's clearly got it down in that regard. No problem with those being given. The one's I hate are the pinky put downs least he used his whole hand lol

That remains the same thing weve all seen.

With all due respect i truly cant understand how any sees that as conclusive that he doesnt get that down.

I can ABSOLUTELY see that its not conclusive that he does get it down but his arm being under a section of the ball doesnt rule out that he got another section of the ball down.

Anyway, ive discussed this far too much given it dont really care and i dont think it impacted the outcome.

This is the Turuva one.

Even this... Thats gonna get sent up at a try every single day of the week and that is not at all conclusive that he doesnt get the ball down, his hand being under a section as he moves and slides means theres a very very good chance that some section of the ball grazes the turf, in fact the more i watch it the more im convinced it probably would.

If thats sent up as a Try it gets upheld for sure.

I think the outcome on both is right i just cant see how anyone can say that there is zero doubt about either.

Even this... Thats gonna get sent up at a try every single day of the week and that is not at all conclusive that he doesnt get the ball down, his hand being under a section as he moves and slides means theres a very very good chance that some section of the ball grazes the turf, in fact the more i watch it the more im convinced it probably would.

I think the outcome on both is right i just cant see how anyone can say that there is zero doubt about either.

That for me is the issue. The outcome on both are correct but to come back as 100% lay down certain that Hogwarth didn’t get it down was surprising. It’s inconclusive therefore it’s a no try but that should have been the ruling

That remains the same thing weve all seen.

With all due respect i truly cant understand how any sees that as conclusive that he doesnt get that down.

I can ABSOLUTELY see that its not conclusive that he does get it down but his arm being under a section of the ball doesnt rule out that he got another section of the ball down.

Anyway, ive discussed this far too much given it dont really care and i dont think it impacted the outcome.
It's amusing because (and obviously I respect your opinion) I truly can't understand how anyone thinks that gets anywhere near the ground. To me, that is clearly held up by the arm and actually doesn't even get close to it.

Is there a timestamp in particular you think it gets close? Because I don't even see how it's debatable.

No problem with it being sent up as a try, the referee would assume it has.

Just looking at it, I don't believe it has touched the ground at any point over the try line.

I think this one is far more 50/50 than the Howarth one.

It's amusing because (and obviously I respect your opinion) I truly can't understand how anyone thinks that gets anywhere near the ground. To me, that is clearly held up by the arm and actually doesn't even get close to it.

Is there a timestamp in particular you think it gets close? Because I don't even see how it's debatable.
i think it gets down at 4 seconds but im pretty sure the extended vision as he rolls it stays where it is and his arm moves which would expose even more of the ball.

Again, i have no issue with it not being overturned, i think i said Sunday that on first view of the replay i thought he CLEARLY got it down (and the other angle that did the rounds it looks even more like he did) but the more i watch it the more i think its very unclear either way.

No problem with it being sent up as a try, the referee would assume it has.

Just looking at it, I don't believe it has touched the ground at any point over the try line.

I think this one is far more 50/50 than the Howarth one.
I think the most likely spot is RIGHT on the try line but its another one where (and there is some assumption in this) soft ground, soft flesh and a malleable ball. One mm of the Steeden brushing grass seems almost inevitable going down like that.

i posted this pic earlier in the thread for some context.

1728349464373.png

If youre holding the ball with hand (or cradled in arm) there is just so much surface area exposed that literally needs to kiss a blade of grass. If you get down with no one else underneath you it would be harder to not ground the ball tbh.

I probably won't change anyone's mind but the Howarth one from that angle:

The ball on the left side of the video is always pointed up in the air - can not touch the ground based on the angle at all.

The part of the ball on the right (angled down) shows an arm underneath it. If you rock and roll it slowly between 3-5 seconds on that clip, you see the ball land on an arm as it goes to ground and then gets lifted as they roll him.

Maybe I'm alone but that's incredibly clear proof (to me) that's not touched the ground.

I still think the most absurd thing is we didn't get that angle until the NRL had to release it to media straight after the game. That should've been shown as it was happening.

The Turuva one? To me that’s a try 9 times out of ten. I would assume pretty strongly that the other end of the ball touches the turf. Yes you can’t see it so I get people having an issue with it but in footballing terms generally your torso will make sure the other part of the ball gets grounded

The Turuva one? To me that’s a try 9 times out of ten. I would assume pretty strongly that the other end of the ball touches the turf. Yes you can’t see it so I get people having an issue with it but in footballing terms generally your torso will make sure the other part of the ball gets grounded
That comment in particular was the Howarth one.

I absolutely see your point on the Turuva one (and agree), I just think was that 10th time where it somehow hasn't.

The bolded is true of the Howarth one too though. The ball is under is torso being cradled and no one elses hand is under him. Granted he doesnt have the momentum and slide going.

That comment in particular was the Howarth one.

I absolutely see your point on the Turuva one (and agree), I just think was that 10th time where it somehow hasn't.

Look that’s fair enough I’m not going to say you’re dead wrong as such because the truth is you can’t be 100 per cent certain one way or the other but for me personally I would not really have much hesitation blowing it

The bolded is true of the Howarth one too though. The ball is under is torso being cradled and no one elses hand is under him. Granted he doesnt have the momentum and slide going.

And that’s probably the difference, he is coming down onto the ground so it’s a slightly dissimilar try scoring motion creating more of the doubt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that’s probably the difference, he is coming down onto the ground so it’s a slightly dissimilar try scoring motion creating more of the doubt
Hes going forward and down, the motion is the same theres just less momentum.

Theres absolutely doubt either way on the Howarth one to me, i still err on he got it down but its not clear cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL NRL 2024 - Grand Final Melbourne vs Penrith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back