How Come no Friday Night Matches Are Played at the SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

No, it was a Friday alright.
Yeah, I remember it was a Friday. I chucked $50 on Geelong at odds of around $3-$4 (can't remember exactly but they were good value). Didn't watch the game, had a big night. Got home at about 4am and switched on the radio and heard "Sydney getting over the Cats by 5 points". I thought it was a pretty gallant effort to lose by that margin but then I saw the replay the next day - damn you Davis!

The SCG is a great looking ground, even moreso at night. Unfortunately the actual field is so small.

infact, why dont sydney ever play on friday night

every other team does, and every ground gets friday night matches

Because it is generally accepted that Fri night is NRL double header night and the swans get mostly Sat night. Aussie Stadium and SCG next to each other and don't go head to head and they also share telstra stadium which needs a lot of work to convert. The codes work togther.

infact, why dont sydney ever play on friday night

every other team does, and every ground gets friday night matches

Ther reasons are simple, television, television, television, television, television and in case you didn't get it television.

Since 2002 when the TV rights changed to 9/10/foxtel no Friday night game has been played in Sydney or Brisbane, or a game in another state involving Sydney or Brisbane, during the home and away season. NRL double headers are new this year, so they aren't the main reason. Ch 9 were not going to show FNF in preference to NFL in the northern markets and the previous contract stated live or near live coverage in Sydney and Brisbane when their teams played.

In case you forgot Ch 9 didn't cover one finals game during 2002 to 2006, so they had no influence over Sydney or Brisbane not playing on FNF during the finals. And the AFL 6 day minimum rest rule also would mean some Sydney and Brisbane games have to be on Friday night. I was at the SCG for the Friday night SF between the Swans and Geelong in 2005 and last year at the Olympic Stadium for the Friday night PF between the Swans and Freo.

The Swans and Lions as far as I am aware have never asked the AFL to not schedule them on a Friday night. I miss going to 2 or 3 Friday night games per season in Sydney that were always scheduled the first 10 years I lived here.

In lieu of no Friday night games, Brisbane get the Easter Thursday night games, if Easter occurs within the home and away schedule. Also Brisbane and then Sydney became the Saturday night teams as a TV trade off for no FNF.

In 2003, (year 2 of the non 7 tv rights deal) Ch 10 saw that Saturday night was a great ratings success and given that Brisbane were the dominate side they lobied the AFL to get Brisbane to play on most Saturday nights. As a trade off they would show Brisbane games live or near live for 16 or so games and would show live or near live games at 7.30pm in Brisbane and Southern Queensland in the other 6 weeks.

Since 2004, Brisbane have played between 15 and 17 Saturday night games both home and away each season. Sydney have drawn 13 Saturday nights the last 2 years. I can't remember if they drew 13 games or less in 2005.

With Ch 7 in a ratings race with Ch 9, who this year launched a FNF NRL double header, I can't see Sydney or Brisbane playing a FNF game during the home and away part of the season during the life of the 2007 to 2011 TV rights deal. And Ch7 will push to avoid them playing during finals unless the 6 day rest rule can't be accomodated.

Who knows it might be 30 years before Sydney and Brisbane play another FNF game, in or outside their home state, during the home and away part of the season.

Yeah, I remember it was a Friday. I chucked $50 on Geelong at odds of around $3-$4 (can't remember exactly but they were good value). Didn't watch the game, had a big night. Got home at about 4am and switched on the radio and heard "Sydney getting over the Cats by 5 points". I thought it was a pretty gallant effort to lose by that margin but then I saw the replay the next day - damn you Davis!

The SCG is a great looking ground, even moreso at night. Unfortunately the actual field is so small.

3 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

How Come no Friday Night Matches Are Played at the SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back