How did prime Barry Hall (04-06) compare to other great CHFs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
All players, regardless of position, should be compared because it's all about impact on the game. But it's much harder to compare a forward to a defender or midfielder so it's easier to make comparisons within positions.

When analyzing KPFs, especially in the past, there's always a question of whether they're a FF or a CHF. The line is often very blurred, making it hard to know what forwards to compare. Many of the great forwards have played both at one point or another. For entire seasons, portions of a season, or as an adjustment during a game.

Stewart Loewe played CHF with Tony Lockett then transitioned to FF when he left. Wayne Carey was undeniably a CHF in the early days with John Longmire there but became more of a hybrid CHF/FF after Horse went down with injury. I actually found an old article from 2006 where Duck talks about this:

PAGAN'S PADDOCK

Kangaroos coach Denis Pagan devised what became known as 'Pagan's Paddock', a tactic that revolved around superstar centre half-forward Wayne Carey.

Pagan: "It (Pagan's Paddock) came about as a result of us wanting to turn it into a game of crash-'n'-bash footy, which was one of our strengths; we were probably the best at it in the mid to late-'90s. We employed a three-quarter ground squeeze on the opposition where we'd push the half-forward line up into the midfield and the full-forward line up to half-forward and we'd kick over their heads into space inside 50 so our forwards could run on to it. We did that years earlier in North's under-19s (which Pagan coached for a decade) when we had Leigh Tudor, and we did the same thing with the Kangaroos, except this time we were lucky enough to have Wayne Carey running on to the ball towards goal. If he marked it, terrific; if he didn't mark it, he brought it to the ground and we had plenty of space to run on to the loose ball. It evolved and there were a lot of variations of it, with and without Wayne."

Wayne Carey: "I often played between full-forward and centre half-forward. I didn't always play centre half-forward like that. It came about from conversations between Denis and I about trying to get more possessions closer to goal. I'd still try to get possessions up at half-forward/wing, but we were mindful that we could hurt the opposition more if I increased the amount of ball I won within scoring range. And it was also meant to help our centre clearances.

"Previously, like all the centre half-forwards of the '80s, I'd generally start on the line and charge into the square. On numerous occasions when there was a long hit-out by our ruckman, I'd grab the ball and give it off to a running player who would kick it to (full-forward) John Longmire and we'd get a goal. But then we changed our philosophy. We wanted to open up the centre half-forward area to give our on-ballers more room, so that if there was a long tap, they could run on to the ball without fear of a centre half-back and centre half-forward running the other way and encroaching on their space or running through them. Hence, my starting position would be halfway between full-forward and centre half-forward.

"The other theory behind it was that when I started up on the line and there was a quick kick out of the pack, it would often lob over my head. No one knows exactly where kicks like that are going to land because they are just hacked out of the pack under pressure, but I thought: 'If I position myself deeper and the kick is slightly long or slightly to one side, it'll be relatively easy to hold my opponent off and take a mark about 40 metres from goal.' It evolved from there and then I started doing it in general play, so that by the time I'd made a lead, I'd be just outside 50 rather than at half-forward/wing. That's how most centre half-forwards play now. You don't often see them starting on the line any more.

"When 'Pagan's Paddock' worked, it made centre half-forward a much easier position. It was a very exciting tactic to be part of because it hadn't been used before – or if it had, it hadn't been used as consistently. Centre half-backs usually aren't the most nimble players, and backmen don't like having space both in front and behind them, so the idea was to turn them around and run them back into space towards goal. At various times, we also had players with great leg speed like Brett Allison and Winston Abraham who could exploit it
as well.

"The way to counter it was to place a loose man in that space, but, amazingly, clubs didn't often do that. When they did, they'd stand him close to me, so I'd have two players on me but we'd still have that space to work in, which was more important."

Those are a couple of examples that spring to mind. Matthew Richardson is another guy who can be hard to place. He played extremely high up at times but also deep as well.

I suppose the distinction isn't that important but it can make it hard to analyze and compare players. Which forwards should be compared to which? It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme but you expect certain things from both positions. A full-forward plays deeper and would be expected to accumulate more marks inside 50 and kick more goals. A center-half forward in theory should be more involved and get more disposals because they play higher up the ground.

Which brings me to the topic of this thread: Barry Hall.

Barry played both FF and CHF. I think it's safe to say he was a CHF in his best years and should be compared to other CHFs. Here's an article from December 2003 talking about the permanent move to play higher up the ground:

Hall plans extra bustle to have his rivals on the run
December 8, 2003 — 11.00am

Having been thrust further afield in 2003 because of injuries to teammates, Sydney's Barry Hall is looking to make centre half-forward his own next season.
Despite being one of the competition's most lethal full-forwards, the Sydney spearhead said yesterday he would be focusing over the summer on becoming fitter to cope with the extra running he would have to do upfield.

"During the pre-season, I'll be basing things around the centre half-forward position this year instead of the short, sharp stuff, get a little bit more aerobic so I can run around a bit more," he said.
"It was great last year (playing up the ground). It was through necessity, with Mick O'Loughlin having a few injuries and stuff, I had to push up the ground a bit.
"It was a good experience and one I really embraced. I don't know what the plan will be for this year, whether I will be full-forward or centre half (forward) but I'll certainly put my pre-season around centre half-forward and get a bit fitter and hopefully run around a bit more."

Hall, who led the Swans' goalkicking in 2003 with 56 goals, said he was not daunted by what many see as the toughest position on the ground. He is, in fact, relishing the chance to have more influence on the game.
"Yeah, it's obviously very different (from full-forward), more running, but then hopefully it means I can get in the game even more. And it will give us some different structure options," he said.

This seems to coincide with his disposals per game increasing. His numbers from 2004 to 2006 were very impressive:

2004: 14.4 disposals (10.2 kicks; 4.2 handballs), 8.0 marks, 3.1 goals (1.6 behinds)
2005: 15.0 disposals (11.5 kicks; 3.5 handballs), 7.9 marks, 3.1 goals (1.6 behinds)
2006: 14.6 disposals (11.3 kicks; 3.3 handballs), 8.6 marks, 3.1 goals (1.5 behinds)

His tackle numbers were also very good and peaked higher than Tredrea, Riewoldt, and Brown during that period of time. From memory, his defensive pressure as a KPF was strong.

He actually won the AFL Coaches Association MVP in 2005. That's the same award Tredrea won the year prior. But you never hear people talk about Barry's 2005 like you do Warren's 2004. Both were All-Australian, won MVPs, kicked 80+ goals while getting plenty of the ball, and were pivotal contributors to premiership-winning teams.

So my question to you is in the thread title: how did prime Barry Hall compare to the other great CHFs? Both all-time and in that era.

Last edited:

He was very good. Even when he came over to us for the two seasons he kicked 3.5 goals a game. Incredible player and maybe the mental side of the game had become too much because his body seemed as though he could go around for another year.

Hall was a fantastic player and while I see the cause of it, I often wonder why people can’t get past the punchy stuff and actually focus on the fact that he was such a good footballer

Even the punch itself - ok it was major in a sport where actual closed fist blow is a rarity but it was a literally brain snap not a calculated attempt to bust someone’s jaw and gain an advantage etc

Uncle baz, good friend of the “wrong side of the tracks” members of my fam.

My favourite story they tell is baz leaning over the bar to order a vodka and projectile vomiting mid-sentence. Bartender had a horrified look on her face and when baz looked up and saw what he’s done, he burst into laughter.

Good player.

Oddly enough as well. The way Hall played I think he would have far preferred being in the 2024 Swans team than the 2005 Swans team. The 2005 team would have been a hellish team for a power forward like Barry Hall given how we moved the ball back then.
I just checked the numbers and 2005 Sydney were third-worst in points for on the home-and-away season.

• 2005 Sydney scored 2249 points; Hall played all 26 games and accumulated 521 points - 23.16%.
  • 2008 Hawthorn scored 2794 points; Franklin played all 25 games and accumulated 766 points - 27.41%.
  • 2004 Port scored 2737 points; Tredrea played all 25 games and accumulated 530 points - 19.36%.
  • 2004 St Kilda scored 2707 points; Riewoldt played all 25 games and accumulated 434 points - 16.03%.

Not bad at all. Hall's numbers look better when you account for Sydney's game plan. The fact he was putting up career-high goals per game numbers with WB kind of hints to what you're getting at.

Last edited:
Hall was a fantastic player and while I see the cause of it, I often wonder why people can’t get past the punchy stuff and actually focus on the fact that he was such a good footballer

Even the punch itself - ok it was major in a sport where actual closed fist blow is a rarity but it was a literally brain snap not a calculated attempt to bust someone’s jaw and gain an advantage etc
Yeah I saw the hit he delivered to McFarlane of North Melbourne where he smashed his jaw. He was out for 10 weeks with a compound fracture of the jaw and it ended his career. He was interviewed around the time of the Staker incident:

Last edited:
Uncle baz, good friend of the “wrong side of the tracks” members of my fam.

My favourite story they tell is baz leaning over the bar to order a vodka and projectile vomiting mid-sentence. Bartender had a horrified look on her face and when baz looked up and saw what he’s done, he burst into laughter.

Good player.

Although the result was officially declared a draw he boxed the ears off Paul Gallen and for that I’ll be forever grateful

Yeah I saw the hit he delivered to McFarlane of North Melbourne where he smashed his jaw. He was out for 10 weeks with a compound fracture of the jaw and it ended his career.

That was a calculated attempt to maim an opponent.

To be honest I wasn’t aware of this incident so fair enough

To be honest I wasn’t aware of this incident so fair enough
It was terrible. Happened at Waverley in a reserves game, before Barry was a regular senior player. McFarlane was in hospital for 3 days afterwards and has permanent titanium plates keeping his face intact.

I think Barry got 4 or 6 weeks for it. Because it was a reserves game it's forgotten. But not by the North supporters.

Very good player. And probably very good boxer, and when he hit, he had better technique than others. That's why there's always this stigma over him. And the stupid comments he made on the radio that got him sacked.

I think he has matured and learnt from his mistakes though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was terrible. Happened at Waverley in a reserves game, before Barry was a regular senior player. McFarlane was in hospital for 3 days afterwards and has permanent titanium plates keeping his face intact.

I think Barry got 4 or 6 weeks for it. Because it was a reserves game it's forgotten. But not by the North supporters.

Very good player. And probably very good boxer, and when he hit, he had better technique than others. That's why there's always this stigma over him. And the stupid comments he made on the radio that got him sacked.

I think he has matured and learnt from his mistakes though.

My view with a lot of players regarded as ‘thugs’ is that because they were responsible for some or occasionally just one person getting injured or whatever they’re viewed as these guys that were out there to illegally hurt people and that it was a key part of their make up as a person and player etc and based off what Hall has said since he retired I believe him when he says some of the things he’s said: he seems genuinely remorseful for that and the incident he should have missed the grand final for and I don’t see him as being a ‘bad person’ or anything like that.

Staker can’t say he wasn’t warned. Told him 3 times to p1ss off so the rest is history. Done his 🍌 so that’s a brain snap. Anybody who thinks Hall went out that night with a calculated thought of breaking a jaw needs to watch the incident over and compare it to Dennis Banks on Rhys Jones or vice a versa. They were calculated.

Staker can’t say he wasn’t warned. Told him 3 times to p1ss off so the rest is history. Done his 🍌 so that’s a brain snap. Anybody who thinks Hall went out that night with a calculated thought of breaking a jaw needs to watch the incident over and compare it to Dennis Banks on Rhys Jones or vice a versa. They were calculated.

That’s what I mean im not saying it was a justified level of brutality or anything like that but even as they lined up next to one another I don’t think he thought ‘I’m gonna whack him’ I think it was just a brain melt by a guy who ‘had that in him’ for want of a better term

Played more like a full forward than a traditional centre half forward.
The best CHF's were usually averaging between 15-20 disposals per game at full flight. Roaming up and down the wings and occasionally helping out in defense.

Yeah I saw the hit he delivered to McFarlane of North Melbourne where he smashed his jaw. He was out for 10 weeks with a compound fracture of the jaw and it ended his career.

That was a calculated attempt to maim an opponent.

Unfortunately, Hall was really the last of the 'enforcers' of his era. There was no one who would try and square up to him whenever he did those thuggish acts.
I mean had he been around during Ricky McLean's time, he would have been knocked out behind the play on a couple occasions as some point down the line.

Played more like a full forward than a traditional centre half forward.
The best CHF's were usually averaging between 15-20 disposals per game at full flight. Roaming up and down the wings and occasionally helping out in defense.

Unfortunately, Hall was really the last of the 'enforcers' of his era. There was no one who would try and square up to him whenever he did those thuggish acts.
I mean had he been around during Ricky McLean's time, he would have been knocked out behind the play on a couple occasions as some point down the line.
Considering how slow and defensive Sydney was, Barry Hall getting 14.4-15.0 touches and 7.9-8.6 marks per game was pretty CHF-like.

2005 Sydney averaged the second-least amount of disposals per game in the home-and-away season: 284.5 disposals per game. Barry's 15.0 disposals per game would account for 5.27% of Sydney's disposals per game. The Swans were also last in marks per game (77.9) and Barry's 7.9 per game accounted for 10.14% of all Sydney marks.

For comparison, 2004 Port were 1st in both disposals per game and marks per game. Tredrea's 15.6 disposals per game and 7.7 marks per game accounted for 5.03% and 8.53%.

2004 St Kilda were 6th in disposals per game and 5th in marks per game. Riewoldt's 17.3 disposals per game and 10.2 marks per game accounted for 5.82% and 11.64%.

2008 Hawthorn were 4th in disposals per game and 2nd in marks per game. Franklin's 15.3 disposals per game and 6.3 marks per game accounted for 4.08% and 5.51%.

Even in several articles from the period he's described as a center-half forward:

August 31, 2005 — 1.09am

The powerhouse centre half-forward has been in brilliant form, finishing second on the goal-scoring chart and second in marks during the home-and-away season.

3rd July, 2009

The coach predicted Ted Richards or Lewis Roberts-Thomson may be sent from defence into the centre half-forward post in Hall’s absence, with Mick O’Loughlin playing out of the goalsquare and Adam Goodes likely to be a marking target up forward.

March 18th, 2009 4:18 am

However, Swans doctor Nathan Gibbs said that X-rays this week show Hall's scaphoid bone has healed and says the menacing centre half forward is on schedule for a round 12 comeback.

December 8, 2003 — 11.00am

Having been thrust further afield in 2003 because of injuries to teammates, Sydney's Barry Hall is looking to make centre half-forward his own next season.

"During the pre-season, I'll be basing things around the centre half-forward position this year instead of the short, sharp stuff, get a little bit more aerobic so I can run around a bit more," he said.

Hall, who led the Swans' goalkicking in 2003 with 56 goals, said he was not daunted by what many see as the toughest position on the ground. He is, in fact, relishing the chance to have more influence on the game.

"Yeah, it's obviously very different (from full-forward), more running, but then hopefully it means I can get in the game even more. And it will give us some different structure options," he said.

Last edited:
All players, regardless of position, should be compared because it's all about impact on the game. But it's much harder to compare a forward to a defender or midfielder so it's easier to make comparisons within positions.

When analyzing KPFs, especially in the past, there's always a question of whether they're a FF or a CHF. The line is often very blurred, making it hard to know what forwards to compare. Many of the great forwards have played both at one point or another. For entire seasons, portions of a season, or as an adjustment during a game.

Stewart Loewe played CHF with Tony Lockett then transitioned to FF when he left. Wayne Carey was undeniably a CHF in the early days with John Longmire there but became more of a hybrid CHF/FF after Horse went down with injury. I actually found an old article from 2006 where Duck talks about this:

Those are a couple of examples that spring to mind. Matthew Richardson is another guy who can be hard to place. He played extremely high up at times but also deep as well.

I suppose the distinction isn't that important but it can make it hard to analyze and compare players. Which forwards should be compared to which? It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme but you expect certain things from both positions. A full-forward plays deeper and would be expected to accumulate more marks inside 50 and kick more goals. A center-half forward in theory should be more involved and get more disposals because they play higher up the ground.

Which brings me to the topic of this thread: Barry Hall.

Barry played both FF and CHF. I think it's safe to say he was a CHF in his best years and should be compared to other CHFs. Here's an article from December 2003 talking about the permanent move to play higher up the ground:

This seems to coincide with his disposals per game increasing. His numbers from 2004 to 2006 were very impressive:

2004: 14.4 disposals (10.2 kicks; 4.2 handballs), 8.0 marks, 3.1 goals (1.6 behinds)
2005: 15.0 disposals (11.5 kicks; 3.5 handballs), 7.9 marks, 3.1 goals (1.6 behinds)
2006: 14.6 disposals (11.3 kicks; 3.3 handballs), 8.6 marks, 3.1 goals (1.5 behinds)

His tackle numbers were also very good and peaked higher than Tredrea, Riewoldt, and Brown during that period of time. From memory, his defensive pressure as a KPF was strong.

He actually won the AFL Coaches Association MVP in 2005. That's the same award Tredrea won the year prior. But you never hear people talk about Barry's 2005 like you do Warren's 2004. Both were All-Australian, won MVPs, kicked 80+ goals while getting plenty of the ball, and were pivotal contributors to premiership-winning teams.

So my question to you is in the thread title: how did prime Barry Hall compare to the other great CHFs? Both all-time and in that era.

you might as well add his 2003 season where Swans made a prelim final too.

Barry Hall kicked 64 goals and 35 behinds from 24 games. That is solid numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

How did prime Barry Hall (04-06) compare to other great CHFs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back