Universal Love How did your love for the RFC start?

Remove this Banner Ad

GH213

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2013
Gippsland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
Thought i might make a thread that takes a bit of focus away from the trade and draft dribble we have been involved in, in this rather quiet off season, so I'm going to steal the idea from the dogs board by DylanW ...

Where did your passion for this incredible club come from?

Ill kick it off ....

The year was 1996. My entire family were mad 'Roys supporters, so in turn i also followed the lions. I was around 8 yrs old and it was announced that they were to merge with the bears.

Being a young fella i was understandably upset that this was going to happen. Apart from my facination with what the jumper would look like, i wanted nothing to do with moving north.

I came to the decision to follow, and ultimately fall in love with, the tigers because a) tigers were the closest animal to a lion and b) at the time i was going to the same primary school that Tommy Hafey attended.

Thus began my love for the RFC. Where did yours come from?

Note: sorry if this has be done on the RFC board before - i did do a quick search but turned up nothing ...

The day I was born, my auntie bought me in a Carlton jumper.
My dad lost his shit and in return went out and bought everything he could find from the tigers that would fit me.

Hated Carlton and loved Richmond ever since.

Haha think i would do the same thing if someone bought my son anything carlton or collywobble ... although he's set on the tigez ... we let him decide (his mums a dog supporter) and everytime the footys on tv he grabs his rfc gear n runs around the house growling and aggresively screaming "GO TIGEZ!!" .... He's a good kid :cool:

Haha think i would do the same thing if someone bought my son anything carlton or collywobble ... although he's set on the tigez ... we let him decide (his mums a dog supporter) and everytime the footys on tv he grabs his rfc gear n runs around the house growling and aggresively screaming "GO TIGEZ!!" .... He's a good kid :cool:

He is a keeper :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being a migrant from Spain. I came to Australia as a 2 year old. My Parents wanted to embrace the Aussie life and the one thing they embraced was footy. You see in Spain Football and Family are equal as important, particularly in the 70's. If you lived in Spain you supported your local club and that club becomes part of your familys fabric.

So when they got off the boat we ended up in the commission flats in South Yarra. The first thing my dad asked one of our neighbours the moment we moved in was who was our local footy club. Now he figured football was football lol. He was told Richmond and he promptly signed us all up as members and we have never looked back.

I am 42 now and my dad still goes to games with me, its a bit of tradition now. The best thing is that even though he has been in Australia for 39 years, he still celebrates every Tiger goal like it was a soccer goal :). Bottom line, I had no choice but to follow the Tigers, same as my 4 sons and my wife. If you live with me you also support our great club.

Being a migrant from Spain. I came to Australia as a 2 year old. My Parents wanted to embrace the Aussie life and the one thing they embraced was footy. You see in Spain Football and Family are equal as important, particularly in the 70's. If you lived in Spain you supported your local club and that club becomes part of your familys fabric.

So when they got off the boat we ended up in the commission flats in South Yarra. The first thing my dad asked one of our neighbours the moment we moved in was who was our local footy club. Now he figured football was football lol. He was told Richmond and he promptly signed us all up as members and we have never looked back.

I am 42 now and my dad still goes to games with me, its a bit of tradition now. The best thing is that even though he has been in Australia for 39 years, he still celebrates every Tiger goal like it was a soccer goal :). Bottom line, I had no choice but to follow the Tigers, same as my 4 sons and my wife. If you live with me you also support our great club.

Thats awesome T71. Its cool that people like your dad still gets excited for goals like that ... wish i could - now i nit pick passages of play and argue with the tv (live in the country - dont get to many games) on what can be done better to seal the win :rolleyes:

I have no logical reason to follow the tigers.

I grew up in Geelong. All of my school friends followed Geelong (and copying them probably would've delivered me a little less heartbreak).

My father is a mad-keen, die-hard st kilda supporter. His dad supported the tigers when he was young, but changed to the saints before I was born. My grandfather died when I was two.

No one I knew followed the tigers.

I started following the tigers as soon as I understood what it meant to pick a team.

My dad says I was dropped on my head as a youngster.

I like to think that it was my grandfathers final revenge on my father, that his son would follow the tigers.

This doesn't even begin to cover the 13 straight games the saints won against us though ...

I have no logical reason to follow the tigers.

I grew up in Geelong. All of my school friends followed Geelong (and copying them probably would've delivered me a little less heartbreak).

My father is a mad-keen, die-hard st kilda supporter. His dad supported the tigers when he was young, but changed to the saints before I was born. My grandfather died when I was two.

No one I knew followed the tigers.

I started following the tigers as soon as I understood what it meant to pick a team.

My dad says I was dropped on my head as a youngster.

I like to think that it was my grandfathers final revenge on my father, that his son would follow the tigers.

This doesn't even begin to cover the 13 straight games the saints won against us though ...

Just bring up our flag win to there one. Works for me :D

That line is gorgeous.... :thumbsu:

I don't have the family thing in fact my family was all over the shop.
Dad south,mum north,me tiges and sister hawks! Lol.
As a little tot I was footscray???
But my favorite player was apparently David Thorpe because my dads mate who conned me into it gave me a footscray jumper with his number. Then he crossed to Richmond and I began to waver.
But my cousin who sadly is no longer with us was mad Richmond and I idolized him and one day at a Richmond v Essendon game in waverly in 1977 sealed the deal
It was a draw but the noise of the tiger crowd and the bald man running about dominating intrigued me and I was hooked.

My dad was awesome actually because he being dyed in the wool south would have loved me to follow them.
I did and always will have a soft spot for the swannies and he'd take me to all South home games at Lakeside and on other weeks he took me to see my tigers which I reckon was awesome of him looking back I didn't appreciate it.

My dad lived in footscray during the tiger haydays - being youngsters growing up around Byron bay there wasn't much footy around, but dad used to watch the games on sunday on telly. at 1st we hated it cos it took 3 hours (an eternity to us 3 young boys) but eventually we all got hooked on the tigers. It was further instilled when we saw the tigers play the hawks in 2001 - 1st trip to Melbourne and my 1st live afl game - Frothing like a dog on heat since.

My old man is Collingwood, my mum is Richmond, it could have gone either way but thankfully my grandpa stepped in, mum's dad, and annoited me a tiger.

Shudder to think how life could have turned out if Dad had made the call.

That must have been a crazy household during rich v coll haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love How did your love for the RFC start?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back