How good was it to hear the Fitzroy chant on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought this was such a highlight that I would post this on the main board

How good was it too hear the Fitzroy chant ringing around Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon. It sent a shiver up my spine and even Stan Alves said it sent a shiver up his. Huddo loved it on the Fox coverage too

Didn't watch / listen to the game but yeah it would have been good. There definitley are some things they've got right with this merger, and the Melbourne fanbase can be a real competetive advantage for the club and it's great to see them continuing to respect and foster it.

Now just to get rid of that stupid looking Lion and put the proper one back on the jumper!!

That was great to hear.

I think Saturday's win in the old Fitzroy jumpers along with the Fitzroy chant would have gone a long way to winning over some of those Fitzroy supporters that haven't chosen to support Brisbane.

Now just to get rid of that stupid looking Lion and put the proper one back on the jumper!!

Our major sponsors and our apparel sponsor deals all expire this year. If there is a good time to change the jumper, it is this year.

I honestly can't for a second understand why the club are fighting so hard for something that's so shit. It's not as if they have a really awesome new jumper and old Fitzroy fans are just kicking up a stink.

Is the club being run by chimpanzees?

Edit:
Fitzroy's long dead
Fitzroy VAFA spiel in 3...2...

I honestly can't for a second understand why the club are fighting so hard for something that's so shit. It's not as if they have a really awesome new jumper and old Fitzroy fans are just kicking up a stink.

They aren't fighting for it at all. The new regime inherited a bunch of bad decisions from their predecessors, many of them tied up in commercial contracts. Some of these things can't be changed overnight. Refer to my previous post.

They aren't fighting for it at all. The new regime inherited a bunch of bad decisions from their predecessors, many of them tied up in commercial contracts. Some of these things can't be changed overnight. Refer to my previous post.
Well can't understand why their predecessors did then.

Fitzroy's long dead
Why would you even bother posting this?

By the way, in response to what Plugger35 was saying, I'm not sure if Brisbane would still be looking at it from the angle of attracting old Fitzroy supporters. Fitzroy (in its AFL form) died sixteen years ago, and with Brisbane having won back-to-back-to-back premierships, any supporters who didn't initially go with the merger side probably would have around then. And any who still haven't switched to the merged entity, probably never will. Or, like several people I know, they have decided to support another club (especially Melbourne or North Melbourne)

Was great to hear the chant on Saturday though, no doubt. Here's hoping Brisbane continue to acknowledge Fitzroy in the future.

TBH I struggled to hold back a tear when we were chanting it
Anybody who wishes that clubs merge or fold doesn't understand footy properly or is too new to the game to remember what it is like to watch it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you even bother posting this?

By the way, in response to what Plugger35 was saying, I'm not sure if Brisbane would still be looking at it from the angle of attracting old Fitzroy supporters. Fitzroy (in its AFL form) died sixteen years ago, and with Brisbane having won back-to-back-to-back premierships, any supporters who didn't initially go with the merger side probably would have around then. And any who still haven't switched to the merged entity, probably never will. Or, like several people I know, they have decided to support another club (especially Melbourne or North Melbourne)

Was great to hear the chant on Saturday though, no doubt. Here's hoping Brisbane continue to acknowledge Fitzroy in the future.

Perhaps but it wouldn't hurt with what they did for that game on Saturday by acknowledging their Fitzroy history. I think it's great that Brisbane are making a real effort to embrace Fitzroy supporters and try to make them feel like it's their club too, if I was an old Fitzroy supporter I would support Brisbane rather than another completely different club.

Having Jonathan Brown as captain who's old man was a Fitzroy player would no doubt help too, you can tell he loves playing in the old Fitzroy jumper. They should wear that for all their Melbourne games.

Surely there were Fitzroy chants in 01-02-03?

I was at all three Grand Finals, as well as the game against Collingwood in 2003 when the Lions first wore the Fitzroy jumper. Saturday was the first time I'd heard the Fitzroy chant since 1996.

As a diehard Fitzroy supporter who embraced the merger from day 1, i thought Saturday was as special as the grand final wins. To win in such a manner in our historical jumper on the night of our hall of fame was very very special. To be at the ground and here the Fitzroy chant is something i will cherish forever - never thought i would hear that ever again. You only had to see the players faces to see what it meant to them. Rockliff kissing the emblem after kicking a goal. Browny a life long Fitzroy supporter. Well done to everyone involved in the club for mending the issues of previous years.

Agree. Brilliant to hear. Great moment in AFL history that a club could merge 16 years ago and still have heritage to its roots. Great job AFL and Brisbane.

Certainly great to hear the Fitzoy chant on the TV broadcast and see a version of the Fitzroy jumper too.
Surely they can find a way to wear a Fitzroy jumper in Victoria at least. The paddle-pop lion is hideous.

I don't like the idea of a prominent FFC on a Brisbane Lions guernsey - but replace the FFC with the original lion logo and they are onto a winner.

Brisbane embracing Fitzroy when playing in Melbourne can only be a good thing!

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was it to hear the Fitzroy chant on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back