How many chances does Lachy Hansen get?

Remove this Banner Ad

What did you think of his one-handed attempt at a tackle in the first term?

Are you referring to the piece of play between 16:30 and 16:28 where Pearce Hanley baulked to the right to avoid an oncoming Hansen and Lachie put out his left arm in an attempt to lay a tackle?

He was making space.

Are we going to consider dropping 197cm 97 kg KPF's on the basis that 185 cm 85 kg wingers manage to evade them?

serious.JPG

Are people really that ignorant?

If you go back and check the tape you will note that Hansen actually throws his left leg full stretch horizontally to the left in order to change direction at the last minute to catch Handley. Most KPF's wouldn't have even got a hand on Handley.

People are actually considering Hansen's position based on the musings of Luke Darcy and Dwayne Russell? God help us all.

Are we going to consider dropping 197cm 97 kg KPF's on the basis that 185 cm 85 kg wingers manage to evade them?

serious.JPG

Are people really that ignorant?

If you go back and check the tape you will note that Hansen actually throws his left leg full stretch horizontally to the left in order to change direction at the last minute to catch Handley. Most KPF's wouldn't have even got a hand on Handley.

People are actually considering Hansen's position based on the musings of Luke Darcy and Dwayne Russell? God help us all.
OK my comment was tongue in cheek, I'm sure you picked that up as very little gets past you.

Anyway, I think you (and others too) overstate the significance of being ommitted. No one is calling for him to be delisted, just a week or so in the VFL to realise that he isn't cemented in the side if his output is going to continue as it is.

He urgently needs to bridge the gap between his best and his worst. And we have blokes performing in the VFL who play his role.

OK my comment was tongue in cheek, I'm sure you picked that up as very little gets past you.

Anyway, I think you (and others too) overstate the significance of being ommitted. No one is calling for him to be delisted, just a week or so in the VFL to realise that he isn't cemented in the side if his output is going to continue as it is.

He urgently needs to bridge the gap between his best and his worst. And we have blokes performing in the VFL who play his role.

If people actually took the time to study Hansen and the role he plays instead of looking for the superficial goals/marks criteria they would see, when placed against what Hansen is capable of delivering, that Lachie is obviously sacrificing his own game to play to team instructions.

What are games in the VFL going to achieve? That Hansen can go down and kick bags against VFL quality defences, as the key forward target? How does that make him a better work horse in the senior side?

I am not a fan of how Lachie is being currently utilised, as Hansen is the future, and I believe Drew's better capacity at ground level and in the contest would be more use to the side further up the ground, particularly when it comes to providing forward press pressure when the ball is on the way out. I think we would be a better balanced side with Hansen playing from the square with Edwards and Petrie playing out at CHF.

I know you walk on the ground and your 100% fit, but it appears to me he has a shoulder injury.

Who can say for sure, but perhaps Bon has decided getting games into him, even if its a lesser role (ie leading wide and creating space for Petrie) is preferable to some kind of long layoff for surgery or extended rest etc.

I'll defend Hansen against Pederson every day of the week as I have already in this thread but there is no doubt that he would be embarrassed about his effort to tackle last Saturday night.

I've seen it at least 5 times now and you can't defend it, he would be embarrassed by it as I as a memeber was.

GR or Errol, any chance one of you could upload this?

16:30 in the 1st quarter.

The only criticism I have of the event was Lachies body positioning approaching the tackle. He should have been in a more crouched position, and perhaps this could be a coaching issue. I have no problems with the effort at all.

I'm with Teffy all the way on this.

While Pederson kicked 8 last week in the VFL, I watched that game too and as well as he played the backline pressure on him from the Bullants was very ordinary. He deserves another shot no doubt but not at the expense of Hansen. I suspect he might get it this weekend replacing Goldy who just might not pull up fit enough.

I am also astonished to read how good McKinley is. I have seen enough of him, pre-season, first game against the Eagles and in the VFL to think that he is one of those players who is good at the second level but not quite up to it at AFL level. I think DF called it properly in an earlier post.

This thread makes me laugh. We are going to be lucky to make the 8 this year, especially if the Dogs and St Kilda turn it around.

Hansen is a KPF and its going to take some time. There is no way he is playing the worst in the side and given we are developing our list he should play every week unless he is injured. I am there for every home game and Hansen runs for miles, way more than anyone else in the forward line, he doesnt always dominate the game but I am seeing some really good things at times from him (contested marking really improving). He is going to be a star in the same vein as Jack Watts, Nic Natanui, Josh Kennedy etc..

Pederson looks like a good solid player who will put his all in and I hope he gets a regular game this year but he is not on the same level as Hansen and unless Hansen is carrying an injury and needs a rest I dont think we drop him all year.

He is our Key Forward for the next 7 years, we need to get behind him and talk about his improvements rather than his faults all the time

Pederson will make it at centre half back or he won't make it at all.

Pederson will make it at centre half back or he won't make it at all.

I agree. But I'd like to see him given a go up forward. He kicked 8 goals in the Scooby's last week apparently.
And to all you beer-belly sheer-croppers out there - when Lachie bags 5 on the weekend, don't start up anymore `OFFICIAL' I love Hansen Threads. Thanks. Leave that to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many games has Kennedy played as the number one forward?

Considering he's played 20 odd games with Fev, another dozen with Lynch and at just the odd game with an All Australian (who was 3rd in the Coleman) I'd say not many.

I'd say a lot more than Hansen, he still isn't our number one forward.

QL has been playing the Leigh Brown role longer than Leigh Brown and while LeCras is a huge goal kicker, he is not their go-to guy, he gets goals from a lot of inside 50s that do not get directed to him because he is a very smart small forward.

If you take out Kennedy's bag against a totally uncompetitive Bulldogs, he had up to that point 16 goals 11 behinds from 65 inside 50s directed at him from 7 games. Hansen has kicked 9 goals 8 behinds from 58 inside 50s that were directed at him from 7 games.

The ultimate difference has been the improval of supply to Kennedy this year versus our hail mary passes to our forwards and the benefit of being the number one choice.

We went to Petrie 14 times last week, we went to Lachy 3 times. When you are the #1 forward the ball goes to you even if you are not in the best position and sometimes you clunk on to a contested mark or get a soft free kick and you get an opportunity to score. You often do not get those cheapies as a #2+ forward.

We went to Dish 14 times for 3 marks inside 50 and went to Hansen 3 times for 1 mark, it is the kind of saturation which can help to give you a respectable result even if you aren't playing well. I don't think Dish had a great game or was a lot better than Hansen last week, the main difference was Dish puts in a lot harder and doesn't drop his head as much, but you would expect that from the difference in age and experience.

Totally agree wit Teffy and Tas.

However I do think that if the Edwards precedent has been set, then Pederson's 8 should be rewarded (but not at the expense of Hansen).

Aaaahh..........what if..................now............this is just a hypothetical question here...............but............what if.........you just happen to be a shit judge with a very limited understanding of football?

Indulge me?

Teffy - I am torn! At times you shit me with your frequent verbal tirades of other posters (something I am guilty of too, but nowhere near as persistent as your good self), yet here I am pissing myself at your witty repartee! What a conundrum :thumbsu:

Let's do a quick Drew vs Lachie comparison this year:

Tackles: Drew - 26 from 7 games; Lachie - 9 from 7. Drew destroys that one but having said that is one of the best big man tacklers in the comp and plays in the ruck on occasion.

Marks: Drew - 34; Lachie - 35. Lachie has more marks than Drew.

Contested Marks: Drew - 9; Lachie - 13. Lachie has 4 more CM (a decent gap considering the rarity of contested marks).

Marks inside 50: Drew - 13; Lachie - 12. What? Drew only has one more mark inside 50 yet being the target of so many more kicks?

Disposals: Drew - 98; Lachie - 77. However as noted above, Drew is the main target.

Scoring shots - Drew - 22; Lachie - 18. (Interesting - take out the Richmond game, I know, you can't do that, but still, if you take it out they're both sitting on 15).

What I conclude from that: Drew gets a bit more of the ball as expected, and tackles like a machine. Lachie however has taken one less mark inside 50, more marks and more contested marks than Drew. Despite Drew drawing the majroity of our forward 50 entries. Did I also forget to mention he has 6-7 years on Hansen?

Cop that, Hansenites.

Hansen obviously enjoyed being the goto man last year, especially on weaker defenders, with plenty of supply, we could see the glimpses what he is capable of. But this season is part of his maturity - things are tough for him at the moment, but if he can come through it, he'll be a better player at the end of it.

Let's do a quick Drew vs Lachie comparison this year:

Tackles: Drew - 26 from 7 games; Lachie - 9 from 7. Drew destroys that one but having said that is one of the best big man tacklers in the comp and plays in the ruck on occasion.

Marks: Drew - 34; Lachie - 35. Lachie has more marks than Drew.

Contested Marks: Drew - 9; Lachie - 13. Lachie has 4 more CM (a decent gap considering the rarity of contested marks).

Marks inside 50: Drew - 13; Lachie - 12. What? Drew only has one more mark inside 50 yet being the target of so many more kicks?

Disposals: Drew - 98; Lachie - 77. However as noted above, Drew is the main target.

Scoring shots - Drew - 22; Lachie - 18. (Interesting - take out the Richmond game, I know, you can't do that, but still, if you take it out they're both sitting on 15).

What I conclude from that: Drew gets a bit more of the ball as expected, and tackles like a machine. Lachie however has taken one less mark inside 50, more marks and more contested marks than Drew. Despite Drew drawing the majroity of our forward 50 entries. Did I also forget to mention he has 6-7 years on Hansen?

Cop that, Hansenites.

The stats that are missing from here are being outmarked by the opposition vs bringing the ball to ground, tackles obviously (which is huge in modern footy - forward pressure being more important than a regulation uncontested mark at times), putting pressure on the opposition resulting in a turnover etc.

It seems from the outer that Hansen at the moment is a purely mark and kick player. His 5 marks per game are often his main contribution to the side. With the forward pressure being the name of the game, that's hardly enough.

The stats that are missing from here are being outmarked by the opposition vs bringing the ball to ground, tackles obviously (which is huge in modern footy - forward pressure being more important than a regulation uncontested mark at times), putting pressure on the opposition resulting in a turnover etc.

It seems from the outer that Hansen at the moment is a purely mark and kick player. His 5 marks per game are often his main contribution to the side. With the forward pressure being the name of the game, that's hardly enough.

Seriously, how often do you see Lachie get outmarked?

As for the tackles, that could come down to Drew having more ball directed at him, so that when he breaks a pack he gets a chance to mop up someone coming out of the traffic, or even from when he's playing in the ruck, he's at stoppages often.

No, I'm not saying Lachie is a better tackler than Drew, he's far from it. I'm suggesting that Lachie doesn't just stumble around the ground not wanting to tackle because he 'doesn't feel like it' as many suggest. Similarly I don't see Drew sprinting around like Matty Campbell destroying people with tackles. I'd like to (but I cbf) see a breakdown of how many of Drew's tackles are at stoppages, because I'd be willing to assert that Petrie spends a lot more time at them than Hansen does.

How many times do you see Hansen go on a lead only to be unrewarded because they're kicking to Petrie? That stat can't be found either. He's more than a mark and kick player, opportunity, a bit of bad form and his role in the team (in my opinion) is what is inhibiting his stats/impact on the game, not laziness.

From the stats posted I think Lachie has to improve in the area that is most easily addressed and that is defensive pressure. Chase and tackle. No natural gifts needed. I think that the being the prime target or not evens out because the best defender will go to the prime target and subsequently the lesser targets go to lesser targets, etc...
I go quiet in posts that want Lachie out, Pedo in. Petrie vs Hansen etc.... I think there is room for all of the following big fellas given the mobility of most of them: Petrie, Goldstein, Hansen, Grima( injured ), Delaney( now I have seen him ) and Pederson. If they all played I think we would see a dynamic Scott Thompson. I am not sure about room for Hmac when he is ready but I guess if Pedo proves not to be up to it ( yet to be proven ) then the door will automatically open.

Remove this Banner Ad

How many chances does Lachy Hansen get?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back