How many friends your age have passed on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing how many suicides are in this thread.

Between 8 and 10 people die this way every single day. Road statistics like this and the speed limits would be reduced to 20, but the govt doesn't really give a rats arse about people topping themselves.

Sadly this figure will probably only increase with tough times ahead.
Vast majority are men.
Government does not care.
Men are wholly disposable.
Facts.

Damn I know this is resurrecting a post from the dead but when we had sports day in 2008 at Unley we were told that a guy died from being stabbed by a javelin.

About 35 years ago I nearly got hit by a javelin. I was one of the measurers and was returning to the "safe" zone and collecting the loose measuring tape but the teacher gave the next kid the all clear to launch.

As I looked at the spear and looked at the teacher and yelled "WHAT THE ****" he wisely didnt tell me off. He knew he ****ed up badly.

One of my best mates died of cancer when I was 13, but have luckily not had any pass since then.
The first dude my age died when I was about the same age, his sister drove into a petrol tanker, Italian funeral, it was massive but I was hit for six. It was my first brush with the mortality of a contemporary and it sent me into as much of an existential crisis as you can have at that age.

About 35 years ago I nearly got hit by a javelin. I was one of the measurers and was returning to the "safe" zone and collecting the loose measuring tape but the teacher gave the next kid the all clear to launch.

As I looked at the spear and looked at the teacher and yelled "WHAT THE *" he wisely didnt tell me off. He knew he ****ed up badly.

I had a friend who had a lucky t shirt with a hole in it from a javelin. T shirt was blowing in the breeze and the javelin went clear through the side of the shirt but didn't connect with flesh at all.

A couple of lovely lasses in my Year 12 class suffered breast cancer and passed - horrible as they were all mothers with kids

Always seems to be the nice ones that get taken too - just friendly, lovely girls next door you'd take home to your Mum types that everyone admired and loved.

I am 50 and have had no friends die. One cousin who was early 40s died of cancer 3 years ago.

A sister of a friend committed suicide about 30 years ago.

Been very little death in my life. Very much family dying of old age.
Same. I am 43, no friends, acquaintances or even people from high school have passed. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

Family unfortunately 2 uncles and an aunty passed prematurely (1 accident, 2 medical).

At work though a bit of a different story sadly. Have experienced the loss of several students from a range of reasons incl suicide, illness/asthma and accidental.

Same. I am 43, no friends, acquaintances or even people from high school have passed. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

Family unfortunately 2 uncles and an aunty passed prematurely (1 accident, 2 medical).

At work though a bit of a different story sadly. Have experienced the loss of several students from a range of reasons incl suicide, illness/asthma and accidental.

I dont keep in touch with anyone from high school from my year. But I am still friends with someone who was in the year below me.

I'd think a couple of people from my year have died - one I remember was in her early 20s from some rare disease. With 250 people in my year you'd think cancer and suicide would likely have taken some as well.

The passing of Cal Wilson has led me to reflect on "short illnesses":
  • Dude I worked with back in the early 2000's. We moved in different social circles but had overlapping interests so always had a bit of time for each other. Few days after coming back from SE Asia presented to a clinic feeling "crook". They were understaffed so sent him to the public hospital. He got worse enough when waiting to be admitted. Crashed during the night and moved to ICU. Died around 7AM. Clinic was very shocked when they rang through the next morning looking for an update.
  • Another dude I worked with in early 2000s. Good guy. The same time I left that job he was going full time WFH. Dead 3 weeks later.
  • Mate's kid was away playing a rugby tournament. One of the kids on the team got sick. Admitted to hospital. They thought it was an infection but couldn't pin it down. Became Sepsis. Dead in 3 days. My mate seemed to take it in stride. I was flattened. All I could think of was the kid's poor parents. Sent junior off for a spot of rugger and game over!

A girl I went to school with committed suicide when we were 18. Came from a italian family and they didn't really approve of her being gay.

A guy I played junior and senior football committed suicide in our late 20's.

A girl I went to school with died in hospital recently. From what I gather she had a bad infection she never recovered from.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of lovely lasses in my Year 12 class suffered breast cancer and passed - horrible as they were all mothers with kids

Always seems to be the nice ones that get taken too - just friendly, lovely girls next door you'd take home to your Mum types that everyone admired and loved.

The mother of a friend of mine is 95 is a horrible old woman. Rude to your face, gossips about you behind your back. And I just think that there is no justice in the world that she gets to live to 95 while some really nice people die young.

I'm 71 and about eight of my former fellow teaching colleagues who were good friends have died. Most were about my age. I mostly lost contact with them when I returned to the US for 17 years. Three have died since I returned in 2017.

One of my friends took his life earlier this year. He was the husband of a woman whose family I've known for almost fifty years. I lived in the bungalow in the back of her mother's home on my return to Melbourne for over four years until I moved into my current retirement village. I last saw him on Christmas day when he drove me home from Christmas lunch.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No one particularly close to me has died but quite a few that I've associated with over the years have passed away.
Guy I went to tafe with had apparently died in some accident, I only found out a few years later when I saw his name on my Facebook and went for a stalk.
A girl the year below me died in a car accident when she was 16.
A guy a year above me died in a car accident when he was 17.
A girl I'd known through school and then work died of illness about six months ago.

I'm only 28 but thinking of stuff like this (especially the last one) makes the mortality of existence really sit front and centre of your thoughts.

Two schoolmates were killed in seperate car accidents (one in year 9, one in year 12). Someone else driving their parents car, no seatbelts, etc etc.
My ex-boyfriend died in a car accident when he was 20. That one was a massive shock. I still can't drive down the street where it happened without freaking out a bit.
A young colleague passed away 6 years ago from an asthma attack. It was absolutely tragic.

Two schoolmates were killed in seperate car accidents (one in year 9, one in year 12). Someone else driving their parents car, no seatbelts, etc etc.
My ex-boyfriend died in a car accident when he was 20. That one was a massive shock. I still can't drive down the street where it happened without freaking out a bit.
A young colleague passed away 6 years ago from an asthma attack. It was absolutely tragic.
Yeah **** asthma.

Can still recall one day at work (was starting out a brilliant day, boss was absent just me and one other workmate in the office) went to the office to get some milk for coffee, come back, get told a former student (graduated the year prior) died from an asthma attack. Her name was Annie and she was absolutely lovely. Still think about her to this day.

I'm 50, for context.
One of my best friends died in his early 20's, either suicide or accidental overdose. Shook me to my core. He'd struggled, on and off, with drugs since his teens. I tried to help him over the years. I should have done more.
Another very good friend took his own life, mid 20's, after a nasty breakup.
A girl I went through school with passed away from a reasonably rare disease, in her mid 40's.
An acquaintance from primary school moved to WA, became mayor of a town over there, got involved in some sort of controversy and took his own life.

I'm 55. I had a cousin slightly older than me, absolute mad keen Richmond fan, die from breast cancer back in 2016. She'd had it on and off for about 20 years when it came back with a vengeance, and she was given two weeks to live.

I phoned her up to say goodbye and part of our last conversation went like this:

ME: Hey cuz, heard you're not doing too well.
HER: I'm on the way out mate.
ME: Sorry you won't seen another Richmond flag before you go.
HER: Mate I'd have to live to be 100!

Nek minnit: three flags to the Tiges. I toasted her memory after them all.

Remove this Banner Ad

How many friends your age have passed on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back