How many of you are Journalists?

Remove this Banner Ad

Helix said:
When I finished school, all course entry scores were based on supply and demand, the minimum entry score for the institution took care of the courses not fully subscribed.

Glancing in through this years VTAC book certain Uni's, including RMIT, asked for scores in the 90s. But I have haven't looked into it fully, so you would have greater grasp of how it works.

purplepavlich_29 said:
Glancing in through this years VTAC book certain Uni's, including RMIT, asked for scores in the 90s. But I have haven't looked into it fully, so you would have greater grasp of how it works.
Not really, I did it in Queensland, before the current system was introduced, but I would say the basics are the same.

I studied for a grad dip in journalism and did an internship of a couple of weeks at Messenger Press before working as a third year cadet for a while. Messenger are basically a training place for Adelaide's print journos. Newspapers usually go to the uni's for new blood, so it's a good place to make contacts.

I love to write and do interviews but, as someone mentioned, journalism is not that glamorous - in fact it's a bloody grind and not for everyone. Deadlines were a killer - for me anyway. The pay was under $30,000 p.a. and didn't improve much over time. Studying in no way prepares you for the reality of working as a journo. You don't have much of a life outside of work (luckily cause you don't have any money to do anything). Having said all that, if you start young and aren't too bothered about balancing work with lifestyle, you'll probably love it. Good luck.

With journalism courses, I've talked to a few people about it, and opinions seem divided. Some see it as essential to get a cadetship. Others say a uni degree should do, backed up with some strong experience, or a good folio.

I'm not sure what kind of breakdown there is between the theory and practical side of journalism in a uni course, but I do know it is good to get a foot in the door by getting off your butt and writing stories or doing some community radio. And by this, I mean things such as organising interviews. You'll make mistakes, but it is probably the best way to learn.

I actually quite enjoyed working in student radio - although there probably isn't the biggest audience out there, it is a good in the sense you are working to a real deadline, and you are working under pressure. Depending on the nature of the station, you tend to have a bit of freedom, so how much you want to push yourself is up to you. If you want to, you can produce news reports, find yourself writing questions, operating the panel, calling people to interview, working your way through media reps who would rather spend time organising an interview with a major metro station rather than yours with an audience of three men and a dog - producing the whole thing.

I guess one thing which is a little frustrating is hearing stories about applicants who 'know someone in the industry' who can help them out when it comes to applying for cadetships. Obviously if they are dud journos they will get sorted out pretty quickly, but it is frustrating nonetheless.

Another thing is you have to look at is your 'economic viability' as a journo. I guess it is important to have a backup plan. There are only so many jobs out there, and there are plenty who want to become journalists. Furthermore, there isn't a lot of coin for people first starting out. Media companies know there is the demand out there, and can pay young journos bugger all. Those young journos just want to get a foot in the door. You look at organisations such as Fairfax getting rid of quality journos, and I think it important to do something else besides studying straight journalism. It could be doing another degree, a TAFE course or something else. I'm not completely sold on the idea that employment is a certainty if you study just journalism. I guess that's the same with lots of degrees in today's society, but moreso with journalism.

I'm very keen on journalism in the future. I have a great love of reading and writing, and it is something I have wished to do for a long time now.

As some may (Collingwood supporters will) know, I write for Nicks Collingwood Page, as well as some one off articles from time-to-time for The Official Collingwood Website.

Just a question on the subject of journalism, what would the standard enter score be in order to find yourself a place in a course?

From what I hear, it's a pretty tough gig for the first five years or so in particular.

Like others have said, the pay is average. But I know a couple of more senior journos who earn around the $65K mark (or something like that). It's all done on a grading system.

I'd suggest you check out the journalist union's website. It's called the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance, but I'm not sure of the web link.

Good luck.

rwfan83 said:
If you're interested in a career in journalism, wouldn't it be a good idea to get used to writing properly and practicing using grammar, punctuation etc in the right way rather than being lazy? :confused:

I don't know, everyone's different, but I always like to pay attention to detail whenever I write anything, whether it be an email or posting on an Internet forum. Maybe I'm just a perfectionist, or maybe I should just get a life. :p

Or maybe you should spell practising correctly. :thumbsu:

Johnson#26 said:
Just a question on the subject of journalism, what would the standard enter score be in order to find yourself a place in a course?

At RMIT, an ENTER of 95 is enough to remove your score from the list of factors contributing to the decision. Very few people in my intake had scores below 92 or 93.

The scores for courses at other universities vary.

I write for my local paper, the Independent, the Mail.
I write weekly cricket match reports for the Frankston Peninsula Heat and also write on the progress of Frankston Peninsula's high profile international, Kennedy Otieno Obuya (Played 63 ODIs for Kenya. 2 centuries and an 85 vs Aus in World Cup)

Johnson#26 said:
I'm very keen on journalism in the future. I have a great love of reading and writing, and it is something I have wished to do for a long time now.

As some may (Collingwood supporters will) know, I write for Nicks Collingwood Page, as well as some one off articles from time-to-time for The Official Collingwood Website.

From this year's VTAC guide many Uni's ask for a score in the ninties.

Are you still in High School?

khanate said:
i pretty much completed a journalism course. the only aspects which i didn't cover where the research and ethics stuff, as well as the 'tech' stuff

afl.com.au called. They want to offer you a job. They're willing to add 50% onto what the Herald-Sun offered.

Journalist -ethics -research = hot property in AFL writing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JohnK, who often posts on the Crows' board, is a journalist of sorts. He writes a fairly regular column for the Adelaide Review (a high-brow giveaway paper). He might be able to give you some advice.

Johnson#26 said:
Thanks. :) You too.

Year 10 2006. What year are you?

I am year 12 2006, High school goes so fast!

Your posts are full of depth and show a thorough knowledge off all topics on Big Footy.

Year 10, I am jealous.

Hmm, that Seek link has apparently expired. Try this one:

http://www.seek.com.au/users/apply/...geNumber=1&ChannelID=1&SiteID=1&JobId=6127733

or this one:

http://www.seek.com.au/users/viewde...ch=true&AdID=6127733&Keywords=website+content

If that doesn't work, here's the text:

Website Content Administrator

# Melbourne based
# Sports focus
# Casual position

Must be flexible and willing to work weekends, evening shifts

Highly computer literate

Experience with html favoured but not essential

Familiarity with Photoshop

Excellent oral and written communications skills

Tasks include monitoring scores and stats, editing content, uploading images , scores etc

Ideal position for university students and graduates of Sports Journalism, seeking an entry level position with an established sports internet company.

A passion for sport would be considered an advantage

No phone calls, thank you.

I guess you should use your journalistic skills to figure out who to email, since no email address was given. :D

Interesting thread guys, it's been good to read your opinions. In fact, this thread may be a little too 'normal' for the main board...

Anyway, I'll put my two cents in. I've been working full-time as a journo for almost a year now, not in sport (not yet, anyway). My advice would definitely be to go and do the uni degree. Unless you are absolutely extraordinary, most of the big (even medium to small) papers won't really consider you for a job without it. Sad, but true.

Thought Nick's post was spot on, particularly about the folio. Get as much as you can out there. I remember in my first lesson at uni the tutor said even if it's just a letter to the editor in your local paper, do it. It all counts and all shows you have a passion for it.

I used to write a fortnightly sports column for my student magazine at uni - nothing special, don't even know if anyone read it - but by the end of the year I had about 15 published articles and that alone was the reason I was considered for an interview at the place I now work (I didn't get it at the time), even though I was only in my second year at uni.

Also, be persistant if you want to work somewhere. If they give you a chance to do some minor job and you'd like to work there full-time, keep nagging. They obviously see something in you to give you some job so keep in touch, keep asking if and when a cadetship or vacancy will come up next. Again, it worked for me.

Get as much work experience as you can at as many places as you can. It may also help shatter any illusion you have about what it's actually like to be a journo. Also, when you're then, don't be shy. I know it's a massively hard thing to do, particularly when you're only there a week and have no idea what's going on, but you won't be noticed at all if you don't make an impact. It doesn't have to be a front page story, but just make yourself seen and heard.

About all, if you love it and you want to make a go of it, go for it. I don't really care about not being paid much because I'm still young and I'd rather be doing this for low pay than something I hate for high pay. Others are different, but that's just me.

Good luck with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

How many of you are Journalists?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back