How many of you are too young to remember the 'glory days'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Born in 69 and attended my first Grand Final in 71. Obviously don't remember much about it, only being 2. Was at the 75, 76, 77,78, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 and 91 Grand Finals. My favourite by a mile was smashing Essendon in 1983 by 83 points. The 89 Granny was the greatest win ever.

Born in 87 so I don't remember any of the flags but I do remember that my Aunty got married on GF day 1991 and that my dad who is a big Hawthorn supporter was outside checking the scores pretty much every 5 minutes.

Only been (shouldnt say only but..) to four Grand Finals and we have won them all.

71 when Peter Hudson shot for 151 and kicked it into the mark. I just remember the crowd on the oval. Must have ringed 2-3 deep with Police just to stop the invasion.

76 - when a whole section of seating on ground level around the old Bay 13 area was vacant right up until just before the start of the first quarter and they suddenly through open the gates and all those standing just seemed to fill the seats like water into a hole. Of Bob Keddie (I think) missing so many shots at goal but me thinking thats fine, North cant clear it anyway and it was in effect wasting time.

89 - shit seats near the boundary, Hawthorn end in the last quarter. I remember the mate I sitting next to from NZ was in awe of the Half time display. Something for the Olympics or Commonwealth and all these people waving flags and moving in groups around the oval. Shit seats meant all I could see was Greg Madigan on the ground and wondering what the hell was on being kept on for and Gary Ablett rising above the packs to mark. Blessed siren that day.

91 - best game I say. The Batmobile - funny stuff. Of Paul Dear taking the game by the scruff of the neck and playing what I would think was the better individual quarter of football I have ever seen. Watched with delight as Worsfold and I think McKenna went started yelling at each other as Worsfold pleaded with his team mates NOT to kick it in Dear's direction.

I was born in '85 so I vaguely remember the 'glory days'. All I remember about the '91 Grand Final is that my parents had a massive argument afterwards because my dad got drunk! And I think my favourite was Langford but I'm not too sure why.

While I feel a certain pride over the fact that my team were once great it's nowhere near the same as if we won the big one this year...

...born in '73 so grew up in the 80's thinking Hawthorn played the best of the rest each year. Mum would organise a GF party each year with my mates, so shattered after '85 mum had to call the parents to pick them up early...

Great post, Phil. WOW! - the response.

I have been to all 9 of our Grand Finals. So, my Kennedy Club ticket, I have for September 27th has come to me with great expectations..

In 1961, John Kennedy, the general of Kennedy's Commandos, as did all coaches of that time, sat on a seat on the fence at the 'G'. I was fortunate to be seated directly behind him. With John's booming voice, and those were the days, before runners, when trainers ran out to players and pretend to give them a rub but actually whisper in their ear instructions from the coach, I could clearly hear his messages to a bedraggled trainer whose job was to tend to Kennedy’s wants.

I'll never forget in the last minutes against the Doggies one of our players apparently not doing something to John's instructions and the coach in a raging fit stood up with arms flailing going off his head, his famous gabardine coat almost being ripped off - all this within seconds to the siren when our first premiership had been in the bag for most of the last quarter.

Now that is one helluva coach.

StatueJohnKennedy.jpg

John Kennedy, a three-time premiership coach, played 164 games for Hawthorn and was a four time best and fairest winner. He was the coach of Hawthorn’s first premiership side in 1961 and is coach of the Club’sTeam of the Century. Not only is Kennedy an icon of the Club he was responsible for and epitomised many of the philosophies Hawthorn stands for today.

002ArthurGrahamholds1961premiers-1.jpg

Graham Arthur holds our first piece of silverware that really matters. So when you see the cup out at Waverley these days that is it - the VFL/AFLs most cherished one as Hawthorn, the club many wanted kicked out of the comp some ten years before, had arrived as a power for many more decades to come.

Our Glory!

1961 Hawthorn 13.16 (96) Defeated Footscray 7.9 (51)
1971 Hawthorn 12.10 (82) Defeated St Kilda 11.9 (75)
1976 Hawthorn 13.22 (100) Defeated North Melbourne 10.10 (70)
1978 Hawthorn 18.13 (121) Defeated Melbourne 15.13 (103)
1983 Hawthorn 20.20 (140) Defeated Essendon 8.9 (57)
1986 Hawthorn 16.14 (110) Defeated Carlton 9.14 (68)
1988 Hawthorn 22.20 (152) Defeated Melbourne 6.20 (56)
1989 Hawthorn 21.18 (144)Defeated Geelong 21.12 (138)
1991Hawthorn 20.19 (139) Defeated West Coast 13.8 (86)
2008 ???.

2008Scarf42YearsEnsignia-1.jpg

Proudly, I am 42 years a member and before that a schoolboy member for about 8 years.

I was born in january of 92 :(
my mum was pregers with me at the 91 grandfinal does that count?

It certainly does, Missy. No doubt you were a beautiful baby with a constant big smile on your face. :)

born in 82 and started barracking for the Hawks in 89. Vaguely remember the 91 grand final as was holidaying down at Torquay. No where near as much in to it as I am now because I didn't even watch the first half.

Remember from 84 onwards. Two years of pain ensured my hatred of Essendon.

89 GF was one of the best days ever.

From a purely selfish (ang geographical) point of view - smashing West Coast was great too.

Have only been able to watch them on TV however.

Next year moving to Melbourne. Hopefully I'm there to see back-to-back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Proudly, I am 42 years a member and before that a schoolboy member for about 8 years.

You'd be a good person to compare Brendan Edwards, Who would you say he is most like to, compared to a recent player.
Graham Arthur once said he likened him to Robert Harvey.
Was he as consistent as his myth would suggest, he won the best & Fairest in 1960.
Answer to Thread i was still to young to remember the 70's, but the 80's were a great time to be a Hawk in suburban Victoria.

What a great thread.

I was born in 75 and went to the 83 granny and cant remember a much. Went to the 91 granny as well which was one of the greats.

Used to go to Princes Park every week when it was our home ground and watch us smash sides. Cheer squad members used to walk around the ground with a big sheet for people to throw money into and I remember throwing a 20 cent coin and hitting a massive fat bikie flush in the back of the head with it!! I absolutely shat my pants.

Then the members wing at Waverley was always great entertainment as well.

I was born in 83. My first GF was 1991, my dad took me in on his shoulders without a ticket, I don't remember much of it other than begging my dad to buy me one of the yellow hats that everyoe in one area of the ground were wearing...until we realised they were West Coast w***ers member hats or something! haha thats all I remember about it!

So IF/when we make it, it will be my first real taste of the big time! I look forward to celebrating our GF victory with alot of booze too! ;)

I was born in 83. My first GF was 1991, my dad took me in on his shoulders without a ticket, thats all I remember about it! haha. So IF/when we make it, it will be my first real taste of the big time! I look forward to celebrating our GF victory with alot of booze too! ;)

Will you be trying to get in to the G' on your dads shoulder if we make it this year?

Will you be trying to get in to the G' on your dads shoulder if we make it this year?

HAHA! NO, I already have my ticket! :cool:

He might have to try and get in on my shoulders this time! :p

76 - when a whole section of seating on ground level around the old Bay 13 area was vacant right up until just before the start of the first quarter and they suddenly through open the gates and all those standing just seemed to fill the seats like water into a hole. Of Bob Keddie (I think) missing so many shots at goal but me thinking thats fine, North cant clear it anyway and it was in effect wasting time.
I think you are probably thinking of bomber hendrie - keddie left in 72 (I think to go west).

I was born in '82, to the most unsporting family in the country! I remember watching the '91 flag and getting told off in no uncertain terms for saying bugger when we missed a shot! Classic, I was a hawks fan by '89 cos my prep teacher was the mother of Scotty Magginess, and the brainwashing began. Thankfully it worked and I'm now a hawks fanatic! only missed a handfull of games in 11yrs :D

I taught myself the rules and strategies of out great game, so much so that I was given a TV for my 18th just so everyone else in the family didn't have to watch AFL. Back then it seemed we were always going to be a great side, now I know the struggles of trying to make the eight in the mid '90's so its that much sweeter when it works.

Very good thread with a huge range of ages and very impressive to see people who didn't get to see the 80's grand finals supporting the club...

As one poster said "Don't take anything for granted"....back in the 80's and early 90's, I think we all assumed the hawks would be in the GF and winning flags...

I mean how spoilt were we? Got to 7 GF's in a row...it became so routine, that you just assumed the Hawks would be there on that last day in Sept...

I started really following the Hawks in 78, but didn't get to a GF (live) until 91 - I was going to go in 89 - but didn't get organised, still thinking that there would be plenty of chances...(picked a great one to miss:eek:)

"Don't take anything for granted"

Some great posts in here.

I was born in 1977 and my uncle, dad and I attended in 1983.

He bought me my first big flag that day and then had a hell of a time hiding it at Richmond station which was a sea of black and red....

I attended again in 1988 and watched the '89 Granny from behind a pillow...

1991 was a great day as the old pros dismantled the young up-and-comers. I remember the commentary at the end of the game saying 'well they dominated the 80's and they've started the 90's the same way..' which gave me an air of expectation.

Who knew.

Being under 18 for all of our flags, I'd just like to win ONE so I can celebrate it in style, tie one on and get snozzled for a week. As market said, never take a flag for granted and enjoy them when they come around because it's not until you get a bit older that you realise how hard they are to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

How many of you are too young to remember the 'glory days'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back