Opinion How should we utilise McGovern?

How should McGovern be utilised?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

FF IMO, with stints in the backline depending on match ups, injuries and weather.

For mine his fate very much depends on Darling and Barrass.

Barrass should move into the intercept/rebounding KPD role in the next couple of years, and I don't believe Darling should automatically count as the 3rd KPF.

If Darling automatically reserves the position of the third KPF in our forwardline (after Kennedy and Lycett) then he could be almost as detrimental to our side long term as Priddis by not allowing us enough flexibility.

I realise Darling has kicked just as many goals as Carey etc etc, but given neither he or Kennedy are particularly good contested marks, having McGovern as an aerial threat forward makes us so much more dynamic, presuming he gets his fitness right.

I would hazard a guess that just as many, if not more, of Darling's goals have been scored playing small rather than tall (i.e. from spillages, running inside 50, or handpasses over the top rather than from marks and set shots). As such, I think if he trimmed down and lost the KPF tag, then his effectiveness wouldn't be dampened that much at all, he could play HFF as his height suggests he should, and the Gov could move forward and jump on some heads.
Good Post...Spot on.

So you think he should be developed as a swingman and not have a predominant position? That's an answer in the poll...
It's not really.

I feel the same as Jandamarra. I think his role is largely dependent on matchups, conditions and form.

That may mean he spends more in defence, or in attack, or even equal time. Defining as such using the poll answers is impossible.

It's not really.

I feel the same as Jandamarra. I think his role is largely dependent on matchups, conditions and form.

That may mean he spends more in defence, or in attack, or even equal time. Defining as such using the poll answers is impossible.

So basically a mr fix it utility?

It could be added to the poll. Either way, it's definitely not a redundant point of contention.

As much as like the mr fix it option, I think McGovern would be better developed with a refined role as either a forward or back. He's spent of most his career moving between forward/back/ruck, i'd love to see how good he'd be if he wasn't being constantly moved around.

I reckon it'll end up being a horses for courses type thing. He could legitimately play at either end because his strength is just naturally reading the play and going hard. He reminded me a bit of Chad Cornes in the backline and I also don't think we can afford to go much taller up forward unless Darling plays further up the ground. For me, Huntaaaa.

It's a pretty interesting question. I don't see the gov as having the mobility to keep up with some of todays great KPF, so unless he is playing on someone like tippet, I wouldn't really feel comfortable with him in defence unless it was solely as the loose man. This would let him play to his strengths of reading the play, intercept/contested marking, and creative disposal. I think the Gov was a pretty good weapon up forward during his time there this year, and I think I would prefer to see him start there, and swing back into defence when we begin to concede an inevitable run of goals. Either way, it's a pretty good dilemma to have, given some of the talls we already possess.

Edit: I vote for the reverse HUNTA!

Fwd with stints down back , I think good marking fwds are gold and the defence is hardly a weakness and I'm not convinced with the effect Natainui and Lycett playing fwd have unless wce inearth a genuine fwd crumber .

Defense with him swinging forward until Barrass makes the grade and then the opposite rings true.

Kennedy's and Darlings fitness, Darling's role and the potential rise of another tall forward (Lamb or otherwise) influence the above.
I haven't seen Barrass play other than videos, but going by his pre-draft write ups and the fact he looks like he's grown a lot makes me really really excited. His left boot looks just as good as McGovern's and definitely better than any other KPD we've had for a long long time.

I'm down for the McGovern in the forward line with saving games down back if need be.

I think McInnes should be set at CHB for East Perth this season. To see how he goes there and see if we can offload Brown at seasons end.

Though McGovern's attack out of defence is something we can really utilise and if McInnes does play CHF in the WAFL and really come along then he should be down back.

I voted FF with backline bursts, but really it obviously depends on a few things. If Lamb Sandwich is also included in the forward line then i'd like him back.

Everyone talking up the idea of him being in the backline is only looking at the offensive side of things, his marking and kicking. But realistically he did tend to leak some goals so i'm not sure how defensively sound he actually is.

Gotta play forward, particularly CHF. He just gives us a great marking target to hit up on forward sorties because you know he's either going to take the mark or bring it to ground for our runners to hit the contest and gather the crumbs. He should only go back if really needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGovern can play a role at both ends as the mr fix it or injury cover as we stuuggle to get 22 games out of a lot of our talls
Games played in the last 2 years
Defenders
Makenzie 2013 - 20 , 2014 22
Brown 2013 -19 , 2014 -19
Schofield 2013- 16, 2014 -17

Forwards
JK - 2013- 20 , 2014 - 21
Darling 2013 21, 2012 22

Rucks
Natanui 2013 - 11 2014 - 20
Lycett - was behind cox for spot who rarely missed a game

Their is 11 games last year McGovern could have been playing in place of a tall

There is also room for McGovern in our line up even as a second ruck /forward if natanui is rested.

Just name McGovern on the bench and use him as required ! If a tall forward or back are on the bench have McGovern on in their place .

Personally I prefere the Gov back as his kicking allows hurn to push up the ground .

Regardless of whatever position he plays how great is it to have a player with this kind of versatility? The fact that he can genuinely play at both ends is such an asset to west coast

Regardless of whatever position he plays how great is it to have a player with this kind of versatility? The fact that he can genuinely play at both ends is such an asset to west coast

Definitely.

In my eyes he's already an A-grader. Scary that he will just keep improving with experience and fitness. He's only played 13 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion How should we utilise McGovern?

Back