Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
Martin Love averaged 46.6 from 8 innings, and his last score was an unbeaten 100.

Admittedly, that score came against Bangladesh, but how many players get their Test careers terminated immediately after scoring a century?

I'm not necessarily saying that Martin Love should be in the Test side, but it does seem that some players get a lot more opportunities than some, for no discernable reason.

I also wonder whether the current line-up is the right one.

Katich, Clarke and Watson occupy spots in the middle and lower order, and I have serious doubts about whether that's the right combination.

It just makes you wonder. Guys like Martin Love and Brad Hodge get left on the shelf, even though the guys in the team aren't really performing.

The Australians selectors have a very good track record, but they'd be hoping for some decent scores from the middle order this summer. Otherwise there need to be some questions asked about the decision to give certain players more rope than others.

He needs to be from NSW.

In all seriousness, he deserved more a go but his form last season was not that flash. If he finished his Test career with a century with his last knock, he would be happy

• Banned
pete_hawker said:
check hussey's first class career and that will answer ur question
What's your point?

Are you saying that Hussey is more unlucky than Love?

Last I checked, Hussey is set to make his Test debut tomorow.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
What's your point?

Are you saying that Hussey is more unlucky than Love?

Last I checked, Hussey is set to make his Test debut tomorow.

yes, hussey was more unlucky than Love, my point is that Hussey should have been there a hell of a long time before Love was even thought about, and im glad to see Hus there at last

pete_hawker said:
same with katich and macgill, lucky Love's not from NSW then he would have already played 50 tests.

Well Katich hasnt fallen for the Steve Waugh curse yet and batted untill there was no chance of a result because they didnt want to declare on themselves

yeah love was unfortunate as was lehmann, siddons, elliot, devo, cox etc.

we have produced the richest vein of talent in the last 20 years as Australia has every had.

I think at one stage we could have fielded 3 or 4 test worthy batting sides and 2 test worthy bowling sides.
Players in he 90s and noughties that didn't play test cricket or had short careers

1 Cox b
2 Love b
3 Maher b
4 Lehmann b/bowl
5 blewett b/bowl
6 Hodge b
7 Haddin wk
8 Inness b
9 Fleming b
10 Reiffel b
11 McGill b

1 elliot
2 m Hussey
3 Devunuto
4 D. Hussey
5 Harvey
6 Symonds
7 berry
8 Miller
9 Williams
10 Lewis
11 Kaspa

while certainly not as good as the test side we fielded (and I know I missed a few out) I would rate the second team close to being top 4 in the world and third more than competitive and probably top 6...

pete_hawker said:
yes, hussey was more unlucky than Love, my point is that Hussey should have been there a hell of a long time before Love was even thought about, and im glad to see Hus there at last
When should they have played Mike Hussey?

Should he have been selected ahead of Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Waugh, Lehmann or Gilchrist?

There's only really been 2 spots to open up in the last 4 years (a 3rd now that Martyn is gone) and they went to Katich and Clarke over the last 18 months after Hussey had an average domestic season.

I would argue that one of Hodge or Hussey should be a permanent fixture ahead of Shane Watson, but that's a whole separate argument.

dan warna said:
1 Cox b
2 Love b
3 Maher b
4 Lehmann b/bowl
5 blewett b/bowl
6 Hodge b
7 Haddin wk
8 Inness b
9 Fleming b
10 Reiffel b
11 McGill b

while certainly not as good as the test side we fielded (and I know I missed a few out) I would rate the second team close to being top 4 in the world and third more than competitive and probably top 6...
Then you're massively over-rating those players.

Australia has been able to dominate because they've had 5 all-time champions (Warne, McGrath, Ponting, Gilchrist, Waugh) in the same side for a 5-year period, ably supported by Hayden and Langer as one of the game's most successful opening partnerships.

That doesn't mean that our fringe players are also world-class.

That side would get drilled by most Test sides around the world.

As for the third side you wrote down, they'd be a lot less competitive that you think. They wouldn't win a Test anywhere outside Australia.

We've seen how much it hurts the first XI when Warne and McGrath go missing. Why do you assume that our third string Test bowling attack would cause Test batsmen any trouble at all?

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Then you're massively over-rating those players.

Australia has been able to dominate because they've had 5 all-time champions (Warne, McGrath, Ponting, Gilchrist, Waugh) in the same side for a 5-year period, ably supported by Hayden and Langer as one of the game's most successful opening partnerships.

That doesn't mean that our fringe players are also world-class.

That side would get drilled by most Test sides around the world.

As for the third side you wrote down, they'd be a lot less competitive that you think. They wouldn't win a Test anywhere outside Australia.

We've seen how much it hurts the first XI when Warne and McGrath go missing. Why do you assume that our third string Test bowling attack would cause Test batsmen any trouble at all?

Yeah I think definately our third rate side would be ahead of bangladesh, zimbabwe, Engalnd be competitive with NZ, Windies, and be competitive at home against most teams with the exception of RSA during the late 90s.

They'd get ripped in the subcontinent and on tour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunnar Longshanks said:
When should they have played Mike Hussey?

Should he have been selected ahead of Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Waugh, Lehmann or Gilchrist?

There's only really been 2 spots to open up in the last 4 years (a 3rd now that Martyn is gone) and they went to Katich and Clarke over the last 18 months after Hussey had an average domestic season.

I would argue that one of Hodge or Hussey should be a permanent fixture ahead of Shane Watson, but that's a whole separate argument.

Martyn for sure, but also when the opening position came available Hussey should have joined Hayden at the top of the order, but JL has proved his guts there so he deserved to remain his spot. Mayb if Hus had of been included before katich was brought in, even 5 years ago. We wouldnt have this discussion.

pete_hawker said:
Martyn for sure, but also when the opening position came available Hussey should have joined Hayden at the top of the order, but JL has proved his guts there so he deserved to remain his spot. Mayb if Hus had of been included before katich was brought in, even 5 years ago. We wouldnt have this discussion.

Thing is, for the last 4 years before last season Hussey has done nothing to put any pressure on in the Pura Cup

Remember that Love made his hundred against BANGLADESH! He didn't make the most of opportunities before that. He got found out a few times. He would make a secon-string side but that is about it. If you want to see unlucky, I would nominate Jimmy Maher.

bombersno1 said:
Remember that Love made his hundred against BANGLADESH! He didn't make the most of opportunities before that. He got found out a few times. He would make a secon-string side but that is about it. If you want to see unlucky, I would nominate Jimmy Maher.
this is the mighty bangers who really pushed australia in difficult circumstances...

which is the arguement used to justify brett Lees average of 31...

it can't be both can it..

pete_hawker said:
check hussey's first class career and that will answer ur question

I don't think Hussey's last two domestic season's have been all that crash hot so I can see why the selectors have steered clear of him for Tests until now. His plethora of runs in England have no doubt helped his first class average.

Crooked Rain said:
I don't think Hussey's last two domestic season's have been all that crash hot so I can see why the selectors have steered clear of him for Tests until now. His plethora of runs in England have no doubt helped his first class average.
No, his last season was alright, his previous 3 or 4 were very, very average

martin love, very unlucky... lost his spot cos the kat could allegedly bowl spin... how often does katich bowl now? once in a blue moon... clarke gets the ball ahead of him now...

i'm of the other opinion. i think love was lucky to play for australia.

he's played 5 tests, all because of injuries to boof lehmann and martyn. he never forced his way in, an injury had to happen for him to get a go.

in saying that, he was stiff to make a ton (even though it was against bangladesh) and get dropped. awesome hands at first slip too.

pluga_4 said:
i'm of the other opinion. i think love was lucky to play for australia.

he's played 5 tests, all because of injuries to boof lehmann and martyn. he never forced his way in, an injury had to happen for him to get a go.

in saying that, he was stiff to make a ton (even though it was against bangladesh) and get dropped. awesome hands at first slip too.
But look at the guys who are in those middle order spots now.

Clarke and Katich both average below 40 at Test level. What have they done to cement their spots ahead of a guy that made a century in his last Test innings?

Remove this Banner Ad

How unlucky was Martin Love?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back