Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Does anyone know the true story?

Is it a hammy?

Was he rested?

Will he play next week?

He is super important to us. I'm almost certain if he played today we would have won, he wold have loved those conditions.

The forecast for next Friday is for late showers and he will be super important to our chances.

yeah he should be fine..just a nice lil' rest before finals.
As a side note i though Skipper done pretty well today

yeah he should be fine..just a nice lil' rest before finals.
As a side note i though Skipper done pretty well today
I agree I am a Skipper fan and I thought he was good and we should take him and the other 2 ruckmen in next week to give us more size in the forward line.

Hudson no certainty for next week ..... don't know how you can trust the journalist though, when he said that Street played yesterday ... what the ...... ?

Dogs' key ruckman in doubt

Rod Nicholson | August 31, 2008 12:00am

WESTERN Bulldog ruckman Ben Hudson is in doubt for the weekend's final against Hawthorn and full-back Brian Lake must face the tribunal

They were the tales of woe in the aftermath of the Bulldogs' nine-point loss to Adelaide yesterday.

Hudson flew home from Adelaide yesterday morning. Coach Rodney Eade said Hudson had a hamstring problem and that it was not worth the risk of playing him.

"Rather than sit out the match in the cold and get home late, we decided to send him home before the game to get treatment," Eade said.

"It is not a fait accompli that he will be right for next week, but we will give him every chance."

Hudson has been a regular for the Bulldogs this season, playing 20 senior games after being cleared by the Crows at the end of last season, during which he played 22 games.

At 199cm, Hudson is vital to giving the Bulldog midfield first use of the ball. He was replaced yesterday by Peter Street, who although 211cm, lined up for only his second senior game of the season to assist Will Minson.

In slippery conditions the Bulldogs' pair were beaten by Ivan Maric and clearly Hudson is vital to the Dogs' finals aspirations.

The Bulldogs also will be concerned that Lake was reported in the second quarter for using an elbow against Scott Stevens. The attempted body push was a fraction late, but in the wet conditions his transgression may be viewed more favourably than had conditions been dry.

Eade was unfazed by the defeat.

"We have been in a holding pattern for six or seven weeks, knowing we would finish in the top four," he said.

"For three quarters of most games we have been pretty good. We wanted to test our ability to hang tough and to put pressure on the opposition. We ticked the boxes, as far as I was concerned. In these conditions, it was just a slog."

Eade was pleased with the performance of Jason Akermanis.

"I though he did a good job," he said. "Last week he did well as a tagger. His form was ordinary for five weeks but now he is back in form, which is a positive."

The veteran coach was not impressed that what should have been a behind at a crucial stage of the final term was awarded a goal and he called on the AFL to use technology in such decisions.

Akermanis pushed the ball through the goals before the swinging foot of Jason Porplyzia appeared, but the Crows player was given the goal.

"No doubt we should be using technology for goals," Eade said.

"Jason believes he was kicked on the arm. I would hate to be playing for a top-four or top-eight spot and for a decision like that to go against us.

"It might have cost us the game, or maybe not. But the AFL must look at it. Things you can control you must get right."

Eade was not concerned about meeting the Crows later in the finals campaign if their paths crossed.

"You will not get these conditions again and a game would be in Melbourne," he said.

"We went out to achieve certain measures and we did.

"I'm satisfied and it will be a different game in the finals."

Adelaide coach Neil Craig paid tribute to his young players, who have stepped up since the injury to the likes of Brett Burton.

"They have set themselves high standards and done well," Craig said. "Now the tough competition begins, especially if it is Geelong next week."

Just read that article myself. You'd think any half decent journo would spend the 30 seconds looking at the stats sheet to see that it was Skipper, not Street who replaced him.

I'm worried about next week as it is. If Huddo doesn't come up, and Lake gets suspended, well - we're toast!

he is super important to you guys. not sure of the extent of his injury, as you guys. but i do know that if you put skipper in the team, you're going to have great difficulty winning.

as per usual, the game is going to be won in the middle, particularly in the clearances. both of our ruckmen are like hudson in making a contest and second and third efforts. like bodyguards to the mids.

he's worth the risk of playing even if he's injured imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hudson: Will he be OK for next week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back