Player Watch Hugh Bond - Debut!

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean he's still out of contract at round 18 and was the only 2022 draftee not to be given an extension beyond his initial 2 years

I guess our list managers are the ones that don't watch the SANFL or our AFL team
It’s not that surprising, is it? He didn’t have a great first season, so is potentially fighting to stay on the list in his 2nd season and continued to improve each week to gain an AFL debut. We persisted with Hamill in this role for a while and now Bond gets his chance.

I mean he's still out of contract at round 18 and was the only 2022 draftee not to be given an extension beyond his initial 2 years

I guess our list managers are the ones that don't watch the SANFL or our AFL team
Given he did his knee in the SANFL 1st round last year and spent 10 or so weeks in the rehab room he was always playing catch up from that point last year with an injury that necessitated no serious running during his rehab is that really surprising?

Bit baffled by this one. Had him delisted at the end of the year, averaging 12 touches and is getting a game off the back of a ‘strong’ 16 disposal game. Curtin, Edwards etc must be scratching their head.

Nix wants someone in there that will be easy to drop. Hinge back in a week and if his replacement guns it up, then Brodie's spot will come under scrutiny.

I'm all for bagging Nick's, but let's be happy for this kid. Struggled and has now out together a solid patch of form.

A small hard at it defender IS A NEED, having Max or Hinge play that role is robbing the team. Likewise Hamill and Jones are not small defenders.

I hope he does well, not an easy task on the Saints mid sized forwards.

More spin than a 20 year old yo-yo?

We took three players in the 2022 main draft.

1) Not a particular surprise that a first round draftee that played almost every game in his first year (Michalanney) was given an extension.

2) Dowling had a strong start to his SANFL career and rightly earned an extension.

3) Bond, who was drafted at pick 50, had an injury interrupted start to his SANFL career. He played some good footy in the second half of the 2023 season but had a poor finals series. This year he has been slowly improving. Isn’t it logical for the club to take their time before making a decision to extend his contract? I expect that he will be offered another contract but it will depend on how many players are traded in and out at the end of the year.

Two other players who were drafted in 2022 were delisted at the end of last season.

Last edited:
3) Bond, who was drafted at pick 50, had an injury interrupted start to his SANFL career. He played some good footy in the second half of the 2023 season but had a poor finals series. This year he has been slowly improving. Isn’t it logical for the club to take their time before making a decision to extend his contract? I expect that he will be offered another contract but it will depend on how many players are traded in and out at the end of the year.

That's interesting given you made it seem like it was outlandish to suggest we might be debuting someone that might not be on the list next year

Of course I agree that it makes sense for the club to wait and see to extend his contract, but the Crows have played guys before towards the end of the season that they almost immediately delisted (and would have already decided on).

As I said, Bond needs a fair go, not a pointless game where we've already decided his fate beforehand

Hope I’m wrong for his sake but anyone else getting distinct Ronin O’Connor vibes from this selection?

i.e. get a game as a reward for your time & effort you’ve put in at the club before getting cut after your initial 2 year deal because due mostly to ‘list age demographic figures’ the club wants to keep the more senior mediocre talent on the list and now has a list crunch at the end of the year.

Hope I’m wrong for his sake but anyone else getting distinct Ronin O’Connor vibes from this selection?

i.e. get a game as a reward for your time & effort you’ve put in at the club before getting cut after your initial 2 year deal because due mostly to ‘list age demographic figures’ the club wants to keep the more senior mediocre talent on the list and now has a list crunch at the end of the year.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this selection or the Ronin O'Connor selection.

These late round draft picks are long shots at best. Give em a few games to see how they go at AFL level to help make a list decision.

Absolutely nothing negative can come from giving a player a debut.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this selection or the Ronin O'Connor selection.

These late round draft picks are long shots at best. Give em a few games to see how they go at AFL level to help make a list decision.

Exactly and for a game in a season that’s gone to shit, it’s the perfect time.

Look I agree it’s no skin off the club’s nose but you do feel for a player if they are having their footballing fate decided in this manner, will feel for Bond like I did for O’Connor if he’s cut at season end no matter how he performs. It’s part of the industry that some players obviously get a harsh call made on them after only 2 years but sometimes feel it’s the easy option list management take to cut the kid on his initial deal especially if they moved interstate, been injured and been given a different role like Bond has.

Think in those circumstances it’s gotta be tough as a player as he would be well aware he’s staring down his AFL dream’s mortality and gets thrust into the top level and has to prove something straight away to try to change the list management’s thinking.

Also just on him being selected over Oscar Ryan it might just be they don’t think Ryan’s body is up for AFL yet but I do wonder if Bond’s more lockdown focused style was favoured due to them again accommodating Brodie ‘the future’ Smith knowing full well he’s not defending anything when back there. Hinge was definitely impacted by this on Sunday as well after weeks of being in good form running out of defence he was forced to play a more lockdown role just so Smith could float around back there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly and for a game in a season that’s gone to shit, it’s the perfect time.
Absolutely.

We should be giving a decent block of games to all our decent young talent to help us make decisions on our list & to prepare them for next season.

Even if we debut players just for a few games, they get am understanding of what it takes at AFL level & where they need to improve their game.

Some may be like Max or Soligo & step up straight away.

Others may be like Burgess & look unsuited to AFL level.

The point is our season was cooked a long time ago & we need to use the rest of the season to prepare for next season. It's a disgrace we have only debuted 3 players & they have hardly played many games between them... whilst we are in the bottom 4.

This is the definition of wasting a season as out dumbarse club management look on.

Absolutely.

We should be giving a decent block of games to all our decent young talent to help us make decisions on our list & to prepare them for next season.

Even if we debut players just for a few games, they get am understanding of what it takes at AFL level & where they need to improve their game.

Some may be like Max or Soligo & step up straight away.

Others may be like Burgess & look unsuited to AFL level.

The point is our season was cooked a long time ago & we need to use the rest of the season to prepare for next season. It's a disgrace we have only debuted 3 players & they have hardly played many games between them... whilst we are in the bottom 4.

This is the definition of wasting a season as out dumbarse club management look on.
Yes Kane you are correct but some like Worrall and Nankervis along with Cook needed to be given a decent run in AFL to flourish and get confidence with their ready made ability .
Not dropped after 1 or 2 games like they were initially whilst non talent Murphys and McHenry got games .
Like they finally selected Taylor on talent and what are they doing making him a sub for two 1 qtrs .

At the start of this season we had 7 of our squad of 43 yet to debut. This was relatively low compared to earlier in our rebuild. In 2022 I think it was around 15 players.

We have now debuted the three players who joined us prior to 2024 (Taylor, Dowling and Bond) plus Curtin from this year’s draft crop. With the addition of Toby Murray in the mid-season draft we still have 4 players yet to debut (Ryan, Edwards, T Murray and Gallagher). I would like to see Ryan and Edwards given a taste, Gallagher is miles off AFL and Toby Murray is a long shot with Thilthorpe hopefully returning soon to the Ones.

After this week we will have played 38 of the 43 players on our list (39 if Thilthorpe is selected).

But, but, but we only rotate the same 25 players into our AFL team every week.

Two other players who were drafted in 2022 were delisted at the end of last season.
We didn’t really draft anybody else in the 2022 end of season drafts. We effectively downgraded the contracted but injured MacPherson and Seedsman to the Rookie List. They were subsequently delisted at seasons end.

We didn’t really draft anybody else in the 2022 end of season drafts. We effectively downgraded the contracted but injured MacPherson and Seedsman to the Rookie List. They were subsequently delisted at seasons end.
I assume he means Tyler Brown and Brett Turner.

Really have no idea why we drafted either.

There's a niche role there for him. We don't have a lockdown small.

Darcy Moore match up in a couple of weeks will be interesting to watch

Just 1 games shows he's deserving of a 2 year extension.

Was very good last night.

Showed pace, clean hands with a great one handed pick up, composer to shut down a very good small forward.

Give him a 2 year contract.

Just 1 games shows he's deserving of a 2 year extension.

Was very good last night.

Showed pace, clean hands with a great one handed pick up, composer to shut down a very good small forward.

Give him a 2 year contract.

I agree. He looked like he had natural onfield leadership abilities as well. I liked what he did. The test for him now will be to cement his place in the side. But I was happy with what I saw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Hugh Bond - Debut!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back