Hurn is better than Murphy Surely

Remove this Banner Ad

Main Man said:
Wont mention names, believes Hurn goes alright as has obviously proven this year, but does not really rate him believing he is an early developer with no real room for improvment...
I have no idea how accurate this assessment is but it is fundamentally what recruiters need to look at and what Collingwood’s recruiters have been terrible at judging over the last 2 decades.
The Old Dark Navy's said:
As for pick 4, it will be one of Ellis, Hurn or Ryder so I reckon we are on to a couple of good things this year.
Almost certain that Collingwood will take Ellis at 2 from what I hear. Things can always change I guess but Carlton would be looking at others on that assumption I would think.

The Old Dark Navy's said:
Nice vote of confidence.

I want Murphy down at Optus Oval now.

As for pick 4, it will be one of Ellis, Hurn or Ryder so I reckon we are on to a couple of good things this year.

Agreed. Although i would add Josh Kennedy to that list for pick 4.

Smokey_22 said:
Hurn has been screened at 187, and 97kgs.

Gained 5 kilos this year?
A fit hurn would be devestating, ellis = future dud or at best serviceable. I know nothing about Murphy. At hawthawn I would love Kennedy and Ryder/Hurn. I would be happy with that.
You have no idea how happy I was last year missing out on Tambling Franklin and Roughhead will be great.
So many people on this forum and in the media are obsesed with stats and therefore love midfielders. KPP win finals, hot weather in September and players get tired but they get no shorter.

Main Man said:
Hurn is as good now as he will ever be.. Virtually no upside and this is coming from someone very high up at centrals..
i recall people saying that about sam mitchell too. this "has no upside" garbage is just that. every year we hear about a player who's come from nowhere. and why was that? because people thought they had no upside.

then there are those that are thought to have an upside and do stuff all like tristen walker and billy morrison. give me guys that can play football dont give me project players who might be able to play one day.

Us3 said:
i recall people saying that about sam mitchell too. this "has no upside" garbage is just that. every year we hear about a player who's come from nowhere. and why was that? because people thought they had no upside.

then there are those that are thought to have an upside and do stuff all like tristen walker and billy morrison. give me guys that can play football dont give me project players who might be able to play one day.
I agree great comment. I would back a team of footballers over a team of athletes any day. A project is good 1 not 10. To say a player cannot improve is an unknown and a guess. Lets see more footballers and less athletes. Athletes will let you down.

i want to see a guy grab the ball, look up, see a teammate and kick the ball to him, then be able to run off and get the ball again.

i dont want to see someone jump 5 feet in the air and miss the ball by 3 seconds, i dont want to see some lightning quick will o the wisp get the ball and then kick it to the opposition, i dont want to see some fat backsided wombat have the ball on a string and kick it to someone else

my draft picks would all be able to
a. find the footy
b. get it to a team mate
c. find it again

i know that the draft isnt filled with guys like this, but get as close as you can without recruiting me any headcases or guys who just wont work.

I've got a feeling they'll both be wearing Navy Blue next year so this thread is redundant. :) When Hurn get's fully fit and strips a few kilograms off after a full pre-season, I can see him improving on his time of 3.04 secs for 20 metres.

Normally players lose some speed once they bulk up, so it's a rarity to draft a player who is physically ready and a great kick.Noice! :D

American Analogy:
Two kids run to first base base in equal time but on e with perfect form who do you take ?

The one without perfect form as he can be trained to have better form and will then run faster.

worthy said:
This will end up the future Judd, Ball & Hodge debate, end result 3 very good players that each club will be very happy with.

Not so sure about that. I dont think either of those boys will the quality of those players. Probly more like: Goddard, Wells and Brennan. From what I have gathered the 02 draft is much more comparable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

roos forever, you wait till tambling gets a pre season under him and gets the chance to show his wares , he will be a champ and i hope he sticks it right up you doubting clowns!

will be interesting to see who carlton goes for given it looks like murphy has been delisted and may nominate for the national draft, do they use pick 1 on hm or go for hurn?

Hurn > Justin Murphy

dave_27 said:
will be interesting to see who carlton goes for given it looks like murphy has been delisted and may nominate for the national draft, do they use pick 1 on hm or go for hurn?

Hurn > Justin Murphy

UMMMMMM qrong murphy dude......

Marc Murphy will go no1 to the blues.....

Then 4 will be either hurn, ryder, kennedy

theorangeapple said:
Not so sure about that. I dont think either of those boys will the quality of those players. Probly more like: Goddard, Wells and Brennan. From what I have gathered the 02 draft is much more comparable.

It's funny how people love making concrete comments when they have "gathered" information rather then witnessed first hand.

manassa said:
roos forever, you wait till tambling gets a pre season under him and gets the chance to show his wares , he will be a champ and i hope he sticks it right up you doubting clowns!

I agree. Some of the rubbish produced by Hawthorn fans regarding Tambling is truly cringeworthy. Give him a few years (like Hodge had) and he'll demonstrate why he was described as potentially the best aboriginal player ever.

Lajon said:
It's funny how people love making concrete comments when they have "gathered" information rather then witnessed first hand.

well someone has 'gathered' consensus from most of the experts, isn't that worth more than first hand observation of the inexpert?

Every year the West Coast recruiting team do a mock draft on where they think players should go, West Coast probably have the best recruiting team in the land and they rate Hurn as no 1, by quite some distance.

I also know a few people who have played on Murphy and think his situation with Brisbane has alot to do with him being touted a no 1 draft pick.

Hurn is clearly the better player, he just aint from Victoria in the end.....

F-U said:
Every year the West Coast recruiting team do a mock draft on where they think players should go, West Coast probably have the best recruiting team in the land and they rate Hurn as no 1, by quite some distance.

I also know a few people who have played on Murphy and think his situation with Brisbane has alot to do with him being touted a no 1 draft pick.

How do you know Hurn is rated No. 1 by West Coast? Are you saying you have access to West Coast's draft list?

F-U said:

Well I wish West COast had the no1 pick then, because that means we would get the best player available at no2 in Murphy

Having seen Murphy play alot, he is a superb player and is easily the no1 pick in the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Hurn is better than Murphy Surely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back