"Hurry-up" rule for defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

To create a contest and play the game of football! :eek: :thumbsu:

I'm sure that worked well for you guys when you played the Saints. Nothing wrong with going to a man-on-man contest but when you go to a contest when there are 10 men around the vicinity then you are unlikely to hit a target.

I'd love for the player with the ball to one time just yell to the umpire "I know it's play on, now shut up!". He'd probably get tackled and pinged for holding the ball, but I bet it gets annoying to hear "Play on!" yelled at them 10 times in a nasally umpire's voice :p

This is a bit of a bugbear of mine. Could you imagine a ref in the NBA or NFL barking instructions to the players??

"MJ, 5 seconds on the shot-clock, get the shot off MJ, 3, 2, 1, too late"

"Quick Brett, they big boys are coming for you, throw it downfield - you're sacked"

Soccer, tennis, baseball, heck every other sport I can think of atm other than AFL, none of the officiators give instructions to the participants.

STFU!!!

I'd love for the player with the ball to one time just yell to the umpire "I know it's play on, now shut up!". He'd probably get tackled and pinged for holding the ball, but I bet it gets annoying to hear "Play on!" yelled at them 10 times in a nasally umpire's voice :p
Yeah, that's exactly why I asked. The ump keeps calling it until the player with ball actually does run off the line or kick it. Almost seems as if he'll ping him for not moving it. He doesn't have to if no one runs at him.

Has anyone else noticed that the umpires always tell the player to hurry up two seconds before they call play on? Kind of defeats the purpose, does it not?

Errrr Yes, We have all noticed that .
Defeats the purpose ?
It's unnecessary and puts more pressure on the kicker not getting a warning .
It should be a timed call except when a player has indicated he is going to have a kick at goal .

I find it annoying when a defender takes the kick in, looks around, decides to put the ball down and jog out of thwe goal square then another player jogs in, picks it up and half the time he is given more than enough time to kick. If you put the ball down and jog away that is part of your kick in time (i don't know how long they get). This happened a few times on Sunday and it was getting annoying.

I find it annoying when a defender takes the kick in, looks around, decides to put the ball down and jog out of thwe goal square then another player jogs in, picks it up and half the time he is given more than enough time to kick. If you put the ball down and jog away that is part of your kick in time (i don't know how long they get). This happened a few times on Sunday and it was getting annoying.

Technically he hasn't legally disposed of the ball .
Umpires are using their discretion but it's technically illegal .
See it lots of times where a player handpasses to another player inside the field to take the kick .

Why cant the AFL just cut the crap by bringing in the VFL 'no mark paid after kicking backwards if outside your attacking 50' rule (whatever they call it:D). It works well. :thumbsu:

Because there is no need to. The VFL should not have put in place such a stupid rule.

I get sick of hearing and listening to spectators boo players because they chip the ball around, kick it backwards etc etc. It is not a blight on the game at all.

If you want to complain to someone about it then write a letter to your club asking for the coach to pick up his players and it won't happen.

If I was coaching I would as AFL coaches do instruct my players when in front in a game to just play keeps off and make the opposition man up.

Unfortunately the new age spectator and younger generation have no idea what accountability and manning up means. If they did it would not be mentioned as a problem.

Technically he hasn't legally disposed of the ball .
Umpires are using their discretion but it's technically illegal .
See it lots of times where a player handpasses to another player inside the field to take the kick .

I could be wrong but i thought that the 'clock' was still ticking if the person taking the kickout decides to leave it for someone else. I've heard the umpire a few times say "the clocks still running heath" then blow the whistle 2 seconds after he picks it up. Again i and they could be wrong, i wouldn't be surprised.

Can you tell the umpire that you're taking a shot at goal from the half back flank and receive your full 30 second allocation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a good idea for milking the clock, why not take a mark say around the centre of the field(say 70-75 metres out or more), and tell the ump you are taking a shot at goal. This would be a good way of wasting 30 seconds off the clock. :)

My opinion is defenders should be given the same time regardless but keen to hear others thoughts.

firstly I love me Star beer :thumbsu:

it has been band aided big time
1) they introduce the rule that you can kick-out without the goal umpire having to finish waving his flags.
2) the result of this, was play on straight away.
3) this resulted in clubs being caught on the hop and having to run back to goal as the options closed up quickly
4) this lead to kicking back through the goals to set-up, like we had to last year in the GF
5) the AFL then force the 'rushed rule' to stop this occuring

everything the knucklehead rules committee has brought in has been problematic....I can't remember a time when backmen were able to set-up properly that any of the above occured...

if they went back to the kick-in as originally ruled, it would stop all this bandaid BS..

Because there is no need to. The VFL should not have put in place such a stupid rule.

I get sick of hearing and listening to spectators boo players because they chip the ball around, kick it backwards etc etc. It is not a blight on the game at all.

If you want to complain to someone about it then write a letter to your club asking for the coach to pick up his players and it won't happen.

If I was coaching I would as AFL coaches do instruct my players when in front in a game to just play keeps off and make the opposition man up.

Unfortunately the new age spectator and younger generation have no idea what accountability and manning up means. If they did it would not be mentioned as a problem.

Jeez, I'm now sorry for even thinking how much I hate this defensive 'milk the clock' , get another cheap stat, screeching umpires thing. How wrong I've been wanting to see flowing footy with legitimate contests. I now realise how good things are. We probably need even more backward cheap kicks & more attention given to our umpire commentators. God it makes want to watch more soccer where they spend most of their 90 minutes just chipping it around. Nil all, mmmmmmm gooooood

Jeez, I'm now sorry for even thinking how much I hate this defensive 'milk the clock' , get another cheap stat, screeching umpires thing. How wrong I've been wanting to see flowing footy with legitimate contests. I now realise how good things are. We probably need even more backward cheap kicks & more attention given to our umpire commentators. God it makes want to watch more soccer where they spend most of their 90 minutes just chipping it around. Nil all, mmmmmmm gooooood

So tell me smarty, what is your problem with your team picking up the free players? Then as you would like it the ball would be kicked forward to a contest?
Or do you think if your team does not want to pick up their players then the other teams should just kick it to your spare man standing around being to lazy to pick up his opponent.

What are you new to football, pick up your man and it won't happen. No need for a rule change.

And its heading towards soccer because thats what you new modern day supporters want. A non contact soft game.

While we are at, what was farcical was the Carlton player, perhaps Thornton, who waited, and waited, and waited, then put the ball on the ground in the goal-sqaure and pointed to another player to come an kick it out. This should be stamped out straightaway. If you put the footy on the ground, it is play on. Simple.

Agree with that. If you take possession of the ball in the goal square to kick in, you should be forced to kick it in, not hand it to someone else, put it on the ground or any other time wasting exercise.

Agree with that. If you take possession of the ball in the goal square to kick in, you should be forced to kick it in, not hand it to someone else, put it on the ground or any other time wasting exercise.
Kickins should be different since the clock has stopped. Usually being confused on who takes the kick is a disadvantage to the team with the ball anyway as it gives the opposition time to either man up or zone up.

So if your team was less then a goal up and deep in defence with about 2 mins to play you would rather them to kick it to a contest and risk turning it over and conceding a goal?
Dont know about you but I would rather my team chip it around and play keepings off and win the game.

So if your team was less then a goal up and deep in defence with about 2 mins to play you would rather them to kick it to a contest and risk turning it over and conceding a goal?
Dont know about you but I would rather my team chip it around and play keepings off and win the game.

The VFL rule discourages time wasting because you must keep the ball moving forward to claim a mark. It would reduce over umpiring because all players know its not a mark when you kick back & umps just call 'play on'. No inconsistent time limits, annoying instructions etc etc. Also it works for BOTH sides, you win some, you lose some. Simple as that

The VFL rule discourages time wasting because you must keep the ball moving forward to claim a mark. It would reduce over umpiring because all players know its not a mark when you kick back & umps just call 'play on'. No inconsistent time limits, annoying instructions etc etc. Also it works for BOTH sides, you win some, you lose some. Simple as that

I get what you are saying but if icing the clock and chiping it around means the dfference between winning and losing I would rather my team chip it around.

Looks like we may have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

I get what you are saying but if icing the clock and chiping it around means the dfference between winning and losing I would rather my team chip it around.

Thats ok, I feel that our game has been built on risk taking & attacking play. Thats been its appeal. Most other footy codes are predicated on defense. I prefer our game to maintain that exiting aspect. Soccer in comparison is generally like flying. 90 minutes of boredom interspersed with a couple of brief periods of terror &/or elation. ie take off, land & hopefully survive ( woohoo we won the penalty shoot out after nil all & extra time :D )

You are looking at this the wrong way - by assuming your team is always the one with the narrow lead AND in possession. But that will, on average, only be 50% of the time in close (1 goal or less) contests.

Look at it this way instead - what if your team is the one trailing by (say) 2 points (which for the purpose of this debate, there is as much chance of this as there is of them leading by 2 points) and the opposition has the ball? Obviously, you would then want a sudden change in the rules to maximise the chances of a contest and the chance of a turnover.

And what would a neutral spectator want - surely the same, rules that encourage the greater chance of a contest.

That's why the VFL rule SHOULD definitely be introduced into the AFL. It's a good rule that makes for more exciting football when the games go to the wire. It encourages contests, it hurries the game up. It gives you more hope when your team is trailling by those proverbial 2 points. It gets you more on the edge of your seats.

It is not a stupid rule as football these days is played in zones whether you like it or not.

I agree with you on the manning up in the last few minutes of the game, surely the players have a brain and can see whats happening (maybe not LOL)

Maybe if the rule was brought in it might even break up the floods teams are employing at all times of the game and the attacking team going from side to side as the defenders may feel encouraged to come forward a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Hurry-up" rule for defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back