I dont think Carey is in the top 100 players to play the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey for mine was a bloody awesome player the only knock on him id have was he was a bit one dimensional in the way he got his goals - how many times did he play from behind when the long ball came in, stationary 1 on 1 and hed give his trademark duck shove in the lower back/backside of the defender then get the ball over the back and goal unimpeded.

On the edge of the rules but he got away with it so fair enough.

As to the franklin vs Duck debate, 2 different styles but difficult to split.

Hard to assess as a Carlton supporter as Carey never got the better of SOS.

Plus Kernahan betters him on all key stats including goals per game and (by a margin) goals per game in finals.

Carey was so far better than Kernahan to compare them is laughable. Carey also didn’t play in loaded teams that cheated salary caps he carried two pretty average teams to two flags.

I watched both of them play and Carey on his day won games single handedly in rubbish teams. Kernahan never do that he was surrounded by stars.

Carey was so far better than Kernahan to compare them is laughable. Carey also didn’t play in loaded teams that cheated salary caps he carried two pretty average teams to two flags.

I watched both of them play and Carey on his day won games single handedly in rubbish teams. Kernahan never do that he was surrounded by stars.

And Norths last premiership in 1999 was apparently the last time a club won a premiership outside of the top 8 salary cap spenders. I don't know where I read that but it was interesting to find out

Carey for mine was a bloody awesome player the only knock on him id have was he was a bit one dimensional in the way he got his goals - how many times did he play from behind when the long ball came in, stationary 1 on 1 and hed give his trademark duck shove in the lower back/backside of the defender then get the ball over the back and goal unimpeded.

So his best move would be a free kick against now?

A few take outs after reading this thread:
-The 'reporter' who didn't have Carey in his top 50 did so only to make himself relevant which sadly is the way news is reported now, it's all extremist click bait.
-The only reason Carey is mentioned as the greatest ever by afl panels and judges is because he was ****ing incredible, just like Ablett Snr and Matthews.
-Buddy Franklin will be discussed for generations in the same breath as Matthews and Carey. He is a player playing in an elite comp that is at a higher level than the rest.

A few take outs after reading this thread:
-The 'reporter' who didn't have Carey in his top 50 did so only to make himself relevant which sadly is the way news is reported now, it's all extremist click bait.
-The only reason Carey is mentioned as the greatest ever by afl panels and judges is because he was ******* incredible, just like Ablett Snr and Matthews.
-Buddy Franklin will be discussed for generations in the same breath as Matthews and Carey. He is a player playing in an elite comp that is at a higher level than the rest.

To date Franklin has failed on the finals stage so will not be mentioned in the same elite company as others.

Ablett turned up just didn’t have the team to get him there and Carey and Matthews Carrie their teams to flags

To date Franklin has failed on the finals stage so will not be mentioned in the same elite company as others.

Ablett turned up just didn’t have the team to get him there and Carey and Matthews Carrie their teams to flags

Buddy was quite good in the 2008, 2012, 2014 Grand Finals. He was only bad in the 2016 Grand Final and only because he got injured very early on.

Buddy was quite good in the 2008, 2012, 2014 Grand Finals. He was only bad in the 2016 Grand Final and only because he got injured very early on.

Seemed to be running just fine to me all day but that injury Call is just another reason we won I guess.

Watch him break away early in the last to hit a lead and kick a goal
Watch him break out of the midfield and hit mcGylnn on the tit.
Watch him try to stream out of the midfield before Moz got him.

Injured my ass he hurt his ankle got a jab and restrapped and was right to go.

Just got closed on the day and your mids choked under the pressure and bombed it to him outmanned.

Last edited:

On the edge of the rules but he got away with it so fair enough.

As to the franklin vs Duck debate, 2 different styles but difficult to split.

Was a good laugh. Cheers mate.

Was a good laugh. Cheers mate.

Yeah Carey was many things but one dimensional wasn’t one of them.

In the top 3 best players I’ve ever seen he tore team apart single handedly with ease.

Similar to Buddy in a lot of aspects but a clear step above because he physically imposed himself into games when he wasn’t going well.

What??? Outside of the fact that he's won 2 flags in 08 and13. He kicked 7 goals in an elimination final in 07 to single handedly win the game against the crows which is recognised as one of the great finals games by an individual ever. In 2011 he basically got the hawks into a prelim. Kicked 4 in a loss to cats, then dominated the cats and also kicking 4 and nearly got them over the line against the pies in the prelim kicking a other 4 but was literally the only thing stopping the pies that day.
So basically you've watched him play 1 final which was the GF last year against the team you support and you want to rate him against 'elite company' which I guess you've seen nothing of.

Yeah Carey was many things but one dimensional wasn’t one of them.

In the top 3 best players I’ve ever seen he tore team apart single handedly with ease.

Similar to Buddy in a lot of aspects but a clear step above because he physically imposed himself into games when he wasn’t going well.
Mentally and leadership wise they aren't in the same conversation.

Buddy would need to do a hell of a lot more as a glorified flanker with umpire assistance to reach the heights of the greats.

I'm a big Carey fan and rate my top 3 players of all time in order as:

1. Matthews
2. Carey
3. Lockett

The best player to play the game towelled up Matthews so badly in the SA v VIC State game in 1974 Matthews shirt-fronted him doing his knee, and never being the same again after 3 Magarey Medals.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What??? Outside of the fact that he's won 2 flags in 08 and13. He kicked 7 goals in an elimination final in 07 to single handedly win the game against the crows which is recognised as one of the great finals games by an individual ever. In 2011 he basically got the hawks into a prelim. Kicked 4 in a loss to cats, then dominated the cats and also kicking 4 and nearly got them over the line against the pies in the prelim kicking a other 4 but was literally the only thing stopping the pies that day.
So basically you've watched him play 1 final which was the GF last year against the team you support and you want to rate him against 'elite company' which I guess you've seen nothing of.

Watched his whole career so I’m entitled to an opinion as much as you

Won two flags in two very good teams and went to the Swans to help them win more and hasn’t been able to.

Put Cary in his place they have two under their belts imo so think what you want I don’t rate him with Carey or Matthews if you do then yipee for you

The best player to play the game towelled up Matthews so badly in the SA v VIC State game in 1973 Matthews shirt-fronted him doing his knee, and never being the same again after 3 Magarey Medals.

Oh where we go!!

Of course a state League player from SA is the best to exist how can anyone disagree

You are not really allowed to shove defenders out of the contest with your body either, at least not in any sort of forceful way.
Firstly, that’s not entirely true. You can hold your ground or beat an opponent who engages with you in a battle of strength.

Secondly, 1995 is not 2017. Much of what went on would not be allowed in today’s rules. Scragging, bumping, wrestling, arm chopping and many other things were prevalent before the AFL’s myriad rule changes and “interpretations”.

I don’t know you personally buddy but you’re not covering yourself in glory ITT. If you want to engage and learn about the topic, that’s great, but I’d suggest taking a slightly more humble approach to it. I’m not old enough to have seen peak Madden or Matthews but I listen to the opinions of those that did and say they’re two of the greatest ever.

Firstly, that’s not entirely true. You can hold your ground or beat an opponent who engages with you in a battle of strength.

Secondly, 1995 is not 2017. Much of what went on would not be allowed in today’s rules. Scragging, bumping, wrestling, arm chopping and many other things were prevalent before the AFL’s myriad rule changes and “interpretations”.

I don’t know you personally buddy but you’re not covering yourself in glory ITT. If you want to engage and learn about the topic, that’s great, but I’d suggest taking a slightly more humble approach to it. I’m not old enough to have seen peak Madden or Matthews but I listen to the opinions of those that did and say they’re two of the greatest ever.

I am technically old enough to of seen Carey play but I grew up in Sydney and really didn't start following the AFL that closely until the very late 90's or early 2000's (though I did watch beforehand).

Oddly enough the first game I ever watched live was a North Melbourne home game at the SCG as my family somehow got free tickets. Carey might have been playing.

Rather than make sweeping assertions, maybe you should back up the claims. Suggesting NM was rubbish through the 90s is ridiculous. Pagan took them through from u19s into one of the great teams of the 90s. Rubbish team? Hardly.

Go back and see what I've written about stats that matter - goals per games in finals, goals per state of origin games - these are big games where the best shine. Kernahan was easily the equal of Carey - it's just not fashionable to remember him that way.

I think it is interesting to look back at AFL players from the past and think about what they would be like as players in the modern era.

A perfect example I think is Jason Dunstall, who was undoubtedly a legendary player but he is only 188cm, which was fine in the late 80's, but I am not sure he could play as a key forward at that height in 2017.

I think it is interesting to look back at AFL players from the past and think about what they would be like as players in the modern era.

A perfect example I think is Jason Dunstall, who was undoubtedly a legendary player but he is only 188cm, which was fine in the late 80's, but I am not sure he could play as a key forward at that height in 2017.
Interesting? It would be if our mushroom brethren didn't have a taste for using every stupid card in their pack for self-interest.

Oh where we go!!

Of course a state League player from SA is the best to exist how can anyone disagree

Why Not? Are South Australians born with a physical deformity . He was twice the player Blight was. Maybe Polly Farmer was the best ever but I can't make that call because I never saw him. Why does the best ever have to be a Victorian State League player.

On the Carey vs Kernahan battle. I think young Kernahan <22 was a better player than young Carey <22 but after that it was Carey by a mile. I remember Kernahan playing school footy and he was unstoppable. Great Players both of them

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think Carey is in the top 100 players to play the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back