I feel sorry for Grant Thomas ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, it's a tough old gig this coaching lark. His days were definitely numbered but I did not share in the general low opinion of him. He showed confidence in the ability of himself and his assistants to get the best out of players. There were some gutsy moves along the way such as picking up Ackland and Guerra when no-one else was at all interested. He got Ackland playing much better than he had ever done at Port. In conclusion, the sacking was inevitable and understandable but I do feel for GT because he dared to be different.

McBain said:
The basis of this being that you think GT is a good coach, and can win the Saints the flag ???.

Bet you there are a few Blues fans out there that wished their board had bittne the bullet and got rid of Pagan lasl week.

No not at all, as I stated I am no Saints expert but perception to the outside world is how badly things have been handled - that is at board level.

During the conference Butters was caught lying (refer another thread on this).

All that said, as an outsider and looking at the list the Saints have had for the past few years and making the finals and falling over at the last I guess this was inevitable. Don't throw the injuries thing at me either. Just look at my team and the walking wounded we took into the Grand Final in 2004 and the injuries to key players in years prior, Aker with a ripped off groin, Lappin with a broken rib, Vossy only had one leg for years now, Leppa with is back, all super stars and all injured.

The current list of players at the Saints deserve a flag, I hope the next coach can take them to that.

Lady Lawrence said:
2. The Blight sacking was atrociously handled and now so has the Thomas sacking.

I'll give you blight wasn't great.

But thomas was the best handled one I can remember, none of them a great.

No board leaks, no rumours, no indecision and Butters lets Thomas Co front a news conference which would have been extremely difficult

Porthos said:
He didn't recruit Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Hamill or Hayes.

These guys (along with Ball, Dal Santo, Harvey, Gehrig) made him look like he could coach.

He was handed the core to a great team on a silver platter (the same as Clarkson) and failed to get the best out of them

campbell said:
Wow.

What a bunch of scum that board are.They have the Presidents mate conduct a 6 month long review of all things football.This bloke hires Slade to conduct interviews alreayd for a coach.Then they sack this one.What if they had of won on Friday night.

What a pathetic lot they are.They never informed the players, they hear it in the media 1st.A good quality club.

Did anyone here that Starcs was sacked yesterday as well, I think that wa son WLF.

Pity the poor new coach.They will never stand a chance.

How do you type so well with one hand? Quite impressive. Pity about the factual side of things though, could use a little revision. We will continue to pound your team for the next few years irrespective of who takes the reigns. How's the handling of Aker going, that was done really well. Same with Mal. What a pathetic lot they are....

JeffDunne said:
You've got to feel sorry for any bloke unemployed with 8 kids.

Will somebody please think of the children . . . .

All jokes aside that is the thing i think of first as soon as someone is given the sack.But GT has no money troubles he has done very well for himslef out side of footy,coaching was never for money it was for ego.

JeffDunne said:

if job security is of up most importance.......don't go into coaching. he'll be looked after...and I'm sure he's getting a nice little pay out to tide him over.

JeffDunne said:

His children can feed off his blubber

JeffDunne said:
It was a joke you fools.

GT will make more money outside football than he would had he remaind coach.

Geez JD, I wish you would have made it clear. I just posted off a food hamper to StKilda for delivery to Mr. Thomas and family.

One Eyed Sainter 66 said:
Hey you gutless ********, why don't you get some balls and tell us what team you barrack for... then maybe we can discuss the quality of your club....

Hahahaha. This thread is about Thomas and the Saints.

Imagine how peaceful Big Footy would be if no one knew who anyone else barracked for. People would have to stick to the topic instead of going off on tangents and flaming each other.

My two cents: Thomas had no luck with injuries over the past 3 seasons but he should've seen this coming. Coaching in the AFL is a cut throat business. Ruthless decisions need to be made. It's unfair, but life is unfair. He was always going to be in trouble after their mid-table finish in 2006.

He was never the master tactician and in this respect, he has probably been let down by his assistants. Questions must also be asked of the Saints medical staff and their inability to keep the side on the park. But Thomas must carry the can for all of this. He appointed himself the Fat Controller so the buck stops with him.

St Kilda would be mad if they don't go after Pagan. Carlton would be happy for the Saints to take him off their hands and avoid a board room spill. Pagan would be happy to manage a decent list again - he's rotting away at Carlton. His no-frills, kick-it-long-to-the-big-forwards game plan would be perfect.

This would be a win, win, win situation. It makes no sense for the Saints to sack Thomas, demand instant results, then appoint another novice coach.

Pagan & the Saints: You know it makes sense.;)

[Edit: I would've loved to have seen Thomas guide the Saints to the flag, if only to see him stick it up all the smarties who gave him such a hard time. Oh well.... He's hardly in exclusive company. There are plenty of sacked coaches without a premiership medallion]]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

doofdoof said:
These guys (along with Ball, Dal Santo, Harvey, Gehrig) made him look like he could coach.

He was handed the core to a great team on a silver platter (the same as Clarkson)and failed to get the best out of them

Mate, you are a dead set knobjockey.

This is twice in 2 days you've had shots at Clarkson in relation to this topic.

Clarkson has taken Hawthorn to 11th in his 2nd year. This after taking over the rabble that was the Schwab era. He has done a great job rebuilding our discipline, work ethic and hardness. He's not the most photogenic or camera savvy operator out there but he seems to have a strong bond with the players yet doesn't take any ****.

The club has recruited well, our game plan (in patches) has worked extremely well, his match ups imporved greatly as the year went on yet he has still put a lot of time into developing the kids on the list.

Why don't you mention Laidley? He's screwed the Kangaroos with some short sighted recruiting and he was handed a list of (ageing) premiership stars. All he's done is take them backwards.

Pagan? Sheedy? Malthouse? All premiership coaches but that was a long time ago.

Wallace. Promises the world - yet to deliver.

None of these seem to irk you?????

Why Clarkson? Jealous?

IMO, he's doing a great job and if a when we win a flag - he will have had a big say in it. And you'll still be picking **** out of him, because that's the sort of dumb **** you are.

Right now is when the reality of calling the bloke "crap, shyt, loser " etc is looking fairly idiotic.
We've had our fun with GT...but the reality is he's a successful man that has earnt a lot of respect.

Managing a wife and 8 kids would send most insane.....managing the local footy club is a enough for most.

A better than 50/50 record at the pinnacle of the game is a great achievement....not many can do it...its very easy to totally ruin a good list...he hasnt ruined anything...simply couldnt get them over the last hurdle...and he's had some major troubles getting that team on the paddock when it matters.

Not a big fan of him as a coach...but as a bloke he deserves respect.

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel sorry for Grant Thomas ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back