Expansion Tasmania Officially Granted 19th Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

My guess is once the membership costs $250+ or whatever they are it will drop to 15k - 20k or less which is fine

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It will be significantly higher than this, like other clubs membership numbers will have interstate membership and other membership types not linked to games which is included, a lot of expats will take these up.

Of ticketed members I'd estimate it will fall in the 30k to 40k range given they'll probably offer Launceston and Hobart options as well as all. The take up in Hobart is the big variable I see.

Not quite understanding the argument about it shouldn't be a "state" thing.

Tasmania has a massively decentralised population compared to most other states, it's not like SA where there's way more people inside the capital than outside. Tasmania needs to bring every on board.
Using the state colour combination makes sense - no AFL team since Fremantle had it maybe a decade ago.

Looking at the introduction of other teams in to the league.
Brisbane Bears - maroon on it's guernsey
Adelaide - red, blue, yellow - state colours
West Coast - yellow, one of the state colours, as the predominant colour, until they reversed the colours a year or two later when blue became the more prominent (memory is a bit hazy here)
Sydney - being the exception being a relocated South Melbourne

The Devils guernsey will evolve, just like the ones above have.
It’s a silly argument and hardly unprecedented.

NFL/ NBA/ MLB teams named after states/ regions:
Minnesota Vikings
Tennessee Titans
Arizona Cardinals
New England Patriots
Carolina Panthers
Indiana Pacers
Minnesota Timberwolves
Utah Jazz
Golden State Warriors
Minnesota Twins
Texas Rangers
Arizona Diamondbacks
Colorado Rockies

If hawthorn play Tassie in Launceston, what would the crowd size be if there was no limit on the seats?

Beat crowd was 20k v st kilda in 2009 worst v 9k west coast last year. Average 14k. We are told most seats are sold regardless of attendance
My guess is once the membership costs $250+ or whatever they are it will drop to 15k - 20k or less which is fine

Apparently hawthorn have hovered around 10k Tassie members.

Double that is not fantasy

If hawthorn play Tassie in Launceston, what would the crowd size be if there was no limit on the seats?

Beat crowd was 20k v st kilda in 2009 worst v 9k west coast last year. Average 14k. We are told most seats are sold regardless of attendance

Apparently hawthorn have hovered around 10k Tassie members.

Double that is not fantasy
John lennon likes this

Thankfully, the board actually consulted Tasmanians before making these decisions. Back in November there was a public survey, which asked questions about what people think the club’s identity should be. This was followed up by community forums in about 10 locations throughout the state during December and January.

Of course, Tasmanians wanted their club to be in state colours. Jack Riewoldt mentioned yesterday that 70% of respondents wanted the club to be called the Devils. People understand their own state, its heritage, culture and icons. They don’t want some meaningless name like the “hurricanes” that they have no attachment to.

The colours were a no-brainer, using an old state jumper is goddam lazy & unimaginative.

As for the nickname, let them have it, it's not the biggest issue for me, however, I was hoping for something that had never been used before but was still relevant to the Apple Isle.

I reckon it could be anywhere between 30-50k personally. I imagine there will be different packages, and decent interstate support. As an interstate Carlton supporter who most often can't get to games physically, I've never paid anywhere near $250 for a membership.

Perhaps that is because there are not really 100k people who have logged on to buy memberships.

That is the point being made. Keep up.
That's not the point being made. That is you trying to cast aspersions. They have over 120,000 that have bought memberships. Once again the Tasmania devils is a business and will present P & L statements showing this is income. It will be easily disproven if not true and cause their cause immeasurable harm.

You tried with the "they timed the launch to try and effect the election" and were proven wrong. It might be best if you give the rest of your conspiracy theory a bit of a rest unless you've got some genuine proof.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what I'm asking about the '100k foundation members'.

Where's the evidence?

Who is auditing these claims?
This isn’t how it works.

You’re the one making the sensational claim, it’s up to you to detail the grounds for doing so. Is it that the AFL has been dishonest in the past? Is that it?

Hang on... how many matches does this membership get you in their first season? Or is this really just ten bucks worth of stickers?
How many 2028 matches did you get in your membership this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Tasmania Officially Granted 19th Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back