If Gary stays, who goes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering guys - as I am unsure about the contracts involved - but if Corey and Rooke could not play again - would we save enough money to make a significantly better offer to Gary ?

Add to this we will probably cut players like Gamble, West and a few lesser lights and Milburn may go (I hope not - again last night he was really good) - would this all add up to some more space in the salary cap that would look more attractive ?

Just wondering because these things could really happen IMO.
and what about Ottens? Can we really afford to keep paying a guy on the list who plays 6 games a year?

I don't want GA to go but could we actually be better off is he does?

No offloading , allows us to prepare for the GWS who will be coming at us and all the other clubs just like GC have this year and of course the chance to have some relativity low picks to add to what seems like a good group of kids we have already assembled.

If any big name goes , I'd say it would have to be Ottens. He'd be on top money and we have got minimal games the last couple of years and one could argue its time to go with someone more reliable when money is so tight. Perhaps Rooke will also have to be considered. Im sure the club will go out of their way to arrange some post playing appointments for them.

As Jim Boy has said , if we keep Gazza it would have to be heavily backended , something like 1.8M in the last couple of years of the contract. History says that this can cause all sorts of probs as players are getting the money they have been promised just as their talents are waning , it has the potential to stuff up big time.

The club must stand firm. He is worth more than we can give but thats the system and if we try to manipulate it too cleverly , it can end up costing us more than just Gazza.

Mooney is confirmed as signed now until the end of 2011, read it in Hutchy's muckrake page in Hun so there's one less red herring.

Gee that's surprising.

The players least likely to be on the Cats' list next year are:

Ablett - hard to refuse $1.5 million (but he might)
Gamble - handy as a forward but hasn't improved this year whilst in defence
Djerrkura - can't get the break he needs
West - done his chances of staying no harm with a couple of solid efforts in AFL

I don't predict any retirements

Milburn - wiry, resilient
Scarlett - ditto
Mooney - key forwards often get by on bulk (like Alistair Lynch)
Ottens - ruckmen also often get by on bulk (like Brendon Lade)
Wojcinski - his best year so far?

I hope that one of Ling and Corey retires this year with his head held high. Their role as midfield warriors has now taken its toll. It will be a risk to play both in the second half of September but pure hardness and experience will get them over the line. But a midfield combination with all of Ling, Corey and Bartel will never again be feared.

Not sure why anyone says West is going to go. Bomber has been a fan of his this year!

I'd love for the club to put Mackie on the trade table. It's not that I don't think he's a decent player but I think he'd be worth a lot more on the trade table than what he's actually worth.

Not gonna happen, recently signed for 4 years.

So Scarlo & Dasher probably have 1 or 2 years left in them you reckon put Mackie up as trade bait too?? Wasn't Mackie nominated for AA the last 2 years??

I see where you're coming from we have Lonners down back that can cover for them :rolleyes:

If we win the flag this year I could see Milburn going. I hope he doesn't, but going out with three flags wouldnt be a bad thing :p

Milburn's on 274 games - 26 short of 300. He currently holds the record as our longest-serving Premiership player. I'd LOVE to see him reach 300, so I hope he goes round again (assuming we go all the way this year and play some finals next year).

Scarlett's on 242 - I think he's durable enough for 3 more seasons at least.

Of course all this depends on how the players themselves feel, and if the club gets the big broom out when/if Bomber leaves at the end of next year.

The players least likely to be on the Cats' list next year are:

Ablett - hard to refuse $1.5 million (but he might)
Gamble - handy as a forward but hasn't improved this year whilst in defence
Djerrkura - can't get the break he needs
West - done his chances of staying no harm with a couple of solid efforts in AFL

I don't predict any retirements

Milburn - wiry, resilient
Scarlett - ditto
Mooney - key forwards often get by on bulk (like Alistair Lynch)
Ottens - ruckmen also often get by on bulk (like Brendon Lade)
Wojcinski - his best year so far?

I hope that one of Ling and Corey retires this year with his head held high. Their role as midfield warriors has now taken its toll. It will be a risk to play both in the second half of September but pure hardness and experience will get them over the line. But a midfield combination with all of Ling, Corey and Bartel will never again be feared.

The only problem with the 'no 2010 retirements' theory is that it ensures at some year, whether it's 2011 or beyond, you will have a third of your 22, if not more, retire at once. It is much more healthy for the future of the club, and the kids coming in, that we spread out and stagger out the retirements as much as possible.

I suspect 1 or 2 will go voluntarily if we win the flag anyway.

I've got a feeling that this is all tied up to a comment Bomber made a few weeks back.
"that we want to do something no club has done before'

I think a lot of people (me included) thought that was aligned to premierships.

I've been thinking that they have a plan to not drop out of (say the top 6) for many years.

The more I look at the core group the more I think they can replace many around the edges if they are smart.

The time they are putting into the group in the VFL etc should allow them to step up when the time comes. ie. Laidler etc.

If a couple step aside each year for the next 4 years then I think they can do it.

If Ling and milburn left this year I think we can cover it.
If corey and ottens left next year I think we would be stronger than now and would cover it.
And then Mooney and scarlett.

I'm not sure of the order and the combinations of course but I think it is manageable.

I've got a feeling that this is all tied up to a comment Bomber made a few weeks back.

I've been thinking that they have a plan to not drop out of (say the top 6) for many years.

The more I look at the core group the more I think they can replace many around the edges if they are smart.

The time they are putting into the group in the VFL etc should allow them to step up when the time comes. ie. Laidler etc.

If a couple step aside each year for the next 4 years then I think they can do it.

If corey and ottens left next year I think we would be stronger than now and would cover it.

I'm not sure of the order and the combinations of course but I think it is manageable.

I too am wondering how long we can go without bottoming out. The thing with predicting the future is that it is impossible. We can look at our list as it stands and say that we can tinker around the edges and stay a contender - but all it takes are some key injuries, or the GC/GWS having a bigger impact on our list than we expect, or blokes seeking a trade if they show potential but aren't getting a game for us to suddenly seem more vulnerable.

That said, we do have one Stephen Wells on the staff. In fact he'd probably be as big as loss as anyone if he goes anytime soon. No jinx :cool:

People always seem to mention how good scott clayton is as a recruiter.
For mine Wells hits him for 6.
He would be my first target if I was from GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we can win the flag every year, but I do think we can stay competitive around the 8, and not bottom out, and let's be honest, our culture has been against bottoming out.

We have enough talent on the list, however the issue is staggering out the retirements evenly, because if you have a year where you replace 7 or 8 players retiring, even if the kids coming in are good, you will fall dramatically while they all get used to playing together, and the whole team dynamic changes etc. If you do it in a more structured way year by year, I think you can still remain quite competitive.

That's why I said 2 every years........

But having said that, the Aussie test team didn't all retire at once and were replaced by 'exciting talent' and the arse has still dropped out of them.

Yes still competitive, but uninspiring to follow.

That's why I said 2 every years........

But having said that, the Aussie test team didn't all retire at once and were replaced by 'exciting talent' and the arse has still dropped out of them.

Yes still competitive, but uninspiring to follow.

Didn't they?

I'd say at least 75% of the incumbents retired within an 18 month period.

Well yeah they were pretty close together considering the term they were together.

I too am wondering how long we can go without bottoming out. The thing with predicting the future is that it is impossible. We can look at our list as it stands and say that we can tinker around the edges and stay a contender - but all it takes are some key injuries, or the GC/GWS having a bigger impact on our list than we expect, or blokes seeking a trade if they show potential but aren't getting a game for us to suddenly seem more vulnerable.

That said, we do have one Stephen Wells on the staff. In fact he'd probably be as big as loss as anyone if he goes anytime soon. No jinx :cool:

Lol.... your so right, I'm probably more worried about him retiring than most other players.

He is our god, and we should pray to him ;).

Its what happened to Brisbane; a bunch of players retired over a year or two period and as a result they got ass r*ped and found themselves down the bottom for a few years. Its the price you pay for winning a couple of Flags. Hopefully we can break the trend. We've never really bottomed out as a club since the beginning of the AFL, and now we have a good club and a stable administration and whatnot, so hopefully that will help.

Would be nice to be like Sydney who haven';t had many bad years since 05.

Its what happened to Brisbane; a bunch of players retired over a year or two period and as a result they got ass r*ped and found themselves down the bottom for a few years. Its the price you pay for winning a couple of Flags. Hopefully we can break the trend. We've never really bottomed out as a club since the beginning of the AFL, and now we have a good club and a stable administration and whatnot, so hopefully that will help.

Would be nice to be like Sydney who haven';t had many bad years since 05.

As I remember, Matthews went to his board at the end of 03, and basically told them they could choose to press on for a fourth flag (and as a result not retire anybody) but they would experience pain for a few years after as a result.

We are in a better position than Brisbane in that they had heaps of players on the verge of retirement, whereas we have only 5 over 30, and most are in decent shape physically. However right behind them we have a group of players who are around the 27-28 age, so if we let the current oldest players go on too long, we will end up in 2 or 3 years time retiring a third of the list at once, which will have a Brisbane like result. We've got more young talent on our list than Brisbane did so I believe we needn't bottom out so long as we stagger the retirements.

just saw this from Gary Ablett JNR in regards to captaining the side -
“Hopefully down the track I get another opportunity to do it again.”
Down the track?? Surely that means beyond this year!!

Does anyone subscribe to the SMS from Gazza thing?

What does he say? "whoa, you should see Lauren right now"

"it's Monday, have a good week, thanks for the 2 bucks"

??

Does anyone subscribe to the SMS from Gazza thing?

What does he say? "whoa, you should see Lauren right now"

"it's Monday, have a good week, thanks for the 2 bucks"

??

Quoted for :D

Remove this Banner Ad

If Gary stays, who goes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back