If Geelong lose tonight...

Remove this Banner Ad

Nudgeme

Rookie
Jan 16, 2008
Sunshine
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Kennetts curse will mean absolutely nothing and the persona will last that Geelong can not beat Hawthorn when it really counts. Now I am not a fan of either side and to be honest hope Geelong win tonight but I feel like this footy club needs to prove that on the biggest stages it can defeat Hawthorn.

This obviously dates back to the 1989 Grand final which is considered the greatest of all time, however looking deeper into it from that date Geelong when it really counts struggle to get past the Hawks. We all know this is not a player/individual thing but more so reaches to the very core of both football clubs, this rivalry is truly unique and 1 of a kind.

1989 GF - Haw def Gee - 144-138
1991 S/F - Haw def Gee - 95-93
2000 E/F - Haw def Gee - 92-83
2008 GF - Haw def Gee - 115-89

The modern day Geelong organisation need to defeat Hawthorn tonight, it will do justice to the footy club as a whole. However, sadly, I think this 'other' more important curse will continue and the Hawks will march onto next week. :thumbsdown:

Yeah, absolutely the QF final is a point, I'm not dismissing that but as far as finals go whilst they are all vitally important it's not a prelim or a GF. I just think tonight is super important to the GFC, they want to own Hawthorn and owning them on what is the biggest stage outside of the GF is what will drive this team.

what is this ridiculous crap. Geelong have done everything to earn their 3 flags and they're one of the greatest teams i've ever seen.

1. It's not their problem Hawthorn weren't a challenge for them in their premiership years and
2. they made mince meat out of them when they were a remote challenge on a friday night in september

Will remind me a bit of Collingwood V Sydney, we've beaten the Swans 99 out of the last 100 times (well you know), but the 1 time the Swans beat us means more than our wins over them combined.

Logo_FFS_02.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope - he missed the rnd 15 match this year along with Stevie J.
While Stevie J & Kelly missed our rnd 1 clash this year

Has anyone played them all, from either team?

Nah, the only time Hawthorn won when they shouldn't have was 2008. The rest of these games are now implicated after the fact. For example, if Geelong had of won the '89 GF it would have been one of the biggest upsets of all time. Hawthorn didn't win because they "own" Geelong, they won because they were an unbelievable side and Geelong wasn't.

Unfortunately for Geelong the only other chance they have to really "get" them comes tonight, but I doubt that'll happen due to a multitude of reasons, namely that they're not as good as they once were.

Losing that '08 GF is just one that the club will always have to live with.

2011 does count, it sent Hawks into a prelim with Pies and was a tough encounter for both teams. While Geelong got a tired West Coast ripe for the picking and consequently softer run into the Grand Final.

Yes if a Geelong team without Enright Chapman Simpson and a half fit Hawkins lose they are complete chokers.:oops:

Also this. Hawks are pretty much full strength and rested.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Geelong lose tonight...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back