If Heeney?

Remove this Banner Ad

People are way too harsh.

His team was absolutely smoked. The opposition sacrificed a quality player just to stop his influence.

In those circumstances, it is up to his teammates who are given free reign to stand up (and then Heeney can do his part and likely ends up on the end of a few)

Heeney had a fantastic year and is one of the key reasons they got there in the first place. He dominated the first two finals, one in which he inspired a comeback such that if he wasn't there, they surely wouldn't have won.
This is true and because of his ability to make oppositions take notice he had a mismatch pushing forward and Neale felt like he should drop into a hole in front of him, because of this Rowbottom was left free and got one of there only goals for a period of time. Had a great finals series and was still there top possesion getter at half time when it was a contest, didn’t play great but probably still top 5 when the game was on the line.

Interesting that both Heeney and Neale have now played in three Grand Finals each.

Heeney - Grand Finals

2016 vs Western Bulldogs
22 disposals & 0 goals

2022 vs Geelong
11 disposals & 1 goal

2024 vs Brisbane Lions
14 disposals & 1 goal

Neale - Grand Finals

2013 vs Hawthorn
7 disposals & 0 goals

2023 vs Collingwood
21 disposals & 0 goals

2024 vs Sydney
35 disposals & 1 goal

Neale was the sub in 2013 lol

It wasn't a ''hard tag''. Mr Grand Finals got attention, but it was far from a hard tag.
I saw plenty of stoppages where Dunkley was facing Heeney & blocking him from getting to the ball. It seemed like a dedicated tag to stop his influence, but I wasn't paying super close attention to it, nor did I watch the 1st qtr. I just think he deserves some slack for today, since he played injured too.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Heeney?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back