Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
We all like the idea of having depth up our sleeve. But If Mummy was still at geelong in 2011 what percentage of games would he be playing? (given the form of ottens / the recent change in use of ruckmen)

Re: If Mumford was still at Geelong ........

It would be obvious him and ottens would be main 2 rucks, and maybe ottens forward like with vardy.. mummy/vardy after ottens would be a pretty awesome ruck duo.. i still wished they didnt hold onto blake :/ mummy was just epic

we wldn't have Mitch Duncan, yes losing Mummy was a massive blow but its history now. At least we have young Mitch to compensate us somewhat as he is going to be a star for us for a number of years.

It would be obvious him and ottens would be main 2 rucks, and maybe ottens forward like with vardy.. mummy/vardy after ottens would be a pretty awesome ruck duo.. i still wished they didnt hold onto blake :/ mummy was just epic
he wasnt epic when he left, just a disgruntled greedy opportunist, he wasnt better than blake come finals 2009, he was burnt out. sure he has become something and has made the most of roos giving him the responsibility, but he wasn't special when he left, get it right.

He'd have caught the big man injury curse.

Shane Mumford 2011

8 games:
30 kicks (3.75 a game)
60 handballs (7.5)
23 Marks (2.88)
246 hit outs (30.75)
39 tackles (4.88)
5 goals (0.63)

Mitch Duncan 2011
8 games:
80 kicks (10)
63 handballs (7.88)
45 marks (5.63)
16 tackles (2)
11 goals (1.38)

Mumford is hardly a superstar.

Im glad that Mumfords gone -for the simple reason if he had signed on -then there would have been no money left to keep Wojincski . WOJO was only offered a new contract when Mumford left. For some reason Mark Thompson never really rated Wojincski -couldnt understand why . Also couldnt understand why other clubs at the time didnt try to sign Wojincski-they would have got him for a pittance -and got a very good player

You never know - if Mumford had stayed it's possible we'd have told Otto to retire after his injury woes last year given on 2010 form, Mummy was certainly the better ruckman. On balance, perhaps that'd still be a win long-term, but it's just great to see a guy like Otto whose roles in 07 and 09 were pivotal to winning a flag play on and back to his best. That's the sentimental man inside me anyway.

We could fit Otto, Mumford and Vardy in the team (with one as the sub maybe?) and ease Vardy to into it. One up forward (Mummy was a good mark and kick IIRC), one in the ruck, one on the bench.

Shane Mumford 2011

8 games:
30 kicks (3.75 a game)
60 handballs (7.5)
23 Marks (2.88)
246 hit outs (30.75)
39 tackles (4.88)
5 goals (0.63)

Mitch Duncan 2011
8 games:
80 kicks (10)
63 handballs (7.88)
45 marks (5.63)
16 tackles (2)
11 goals (1.38)

He's absolutely BUTCHERING Duncan in the hitouts though
Bert-icon.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Mumford 2011

8 games:
30 kicks (3.75 a game)
60 handballs (7.5)
23 Marks (2.88)
246 hit outs (30.75)
39 tackles (4.88)
5 goals (0.63)

Mitch Duncan 2011
8 games:
80 kicks (10)
63 handballs (7.88)
45 marks (5.63)
16 tackles (2)
11 goals (1.38)

:rolleyes:

Comparing a ruckman to a HFF/midfielder is a pointless exercise.

Im glad that Mumfords gone -for the simple reason if he had signed on -then there would have been no money left to keep Wojincski . WOJO was only offered a new contract when Mumford left. For some reason Mark Thompson never really rated Wojincski -couldnt understand why . Also couldnt understand why other clubs at the time didnt try to sign Wojincski-they would have got him for a pittance -and got a very good player

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU 100%, I was devastated at the prospect of him not getting another contract, one of the most exciting players seen at Geelong, and very influential last year.Would have ceased supporting if he'd gone to St Kilda.Maybe.

As with that bloke that went to the $un$, I was very sad to see him go at the time, but very good things have resulted from him doing so & I bear him no ill will. And Mitch Duncan will be in a premiership winning side long before any who have moved on recently (and I also suspect he'll be kicking on long after Mummy has retired back to his sausage farm at Bunyip).

Since we don't have a communal Tardis, rewriting history is just not going to happen. So this Dance of the Thousand Whattifs is ultimately a futile exercise, and one performed better - like all pleasantly pointless conversations - with alcohol, munchies & good mates.

Your shout, OP. :D

he wasnt epic when he left, just a disgruntled greedy opportunist, he wasnt better than blake come finals 2009, he was burnt out. sure he has become something and has made the most of roos giving him the responsibility, but he wasn't special when he left, get it right.

Absolutely. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who has this opinion. Glad I'm not alone.

He's not special now either. Good player, but that's it. Wouldn't mind betting Mitch Duncan will be the superior player easily.

:rolleyes:

Comparing a ruckman to a HFF/midfielder is a pointless exercise.
He's not comparing them, he's outlining each player's respective impact so far this year.

Come on guys - we all thought Mumford was going to be a superstar when he played for us and he has lived up to expectations in Sydney. He's still only 24 - made the AA squad and was second in the Swans' B&F last year.

No doubt Duncan was great compensation, and Vardy looks the goods so far, but if Mumford was still on our list he would be playing AFL every week and be regarded as one of our best up and coming players. I'd love to still have him playing for us.

Come on guys - we all thought Mumford was going to be a superstar when he played for us and he has lived up to expectations in Sydney. He's still only 24 - made the AA squad and was second in the Swans' B&F last year.

No doubt Duncan was great compensation, and Vardy looks the goods so far, but if Mumford was still on our list he would be playing AFL every week and be regarded as one of our best up and coming players. I'd love to still have him playing for us.

Not all of us. I thought he was good, absolutely, but I wasn't thinking the next big thing had been unearthed or anything like that. Not sorry to have Duncan instead at all.

Fair enough. But when you put up the stats of the two said players it can be easily construed as a comparison.
I was a bit vague so im sorry for that but yes it was as SJ said.

I always find Mumford is a shit tap ruckman who just taps to his feet and tackles anything that moves past him.

Not getting the $300,000 output from him.

We wouldn't have Mitch Duncan, end of thread.

Or Vardy for that matter.

Obviously the compensation pick was used to great effect with the pickup of Duncan. But the drafting of Vardy was also more than likely a direct result of Mumford leaving. Also, as noted, Wojo is still on the list too.

I'd do that trade again

I don't think you could play both under the new rules as Ottens has proven he is no longer anything more than a casual forward these days.

If Mummy had stayed and had his 2010 swans season at Geelong then Ottens would have been retired as he looked shakey towards the end of last year.

Mummy would have been handy last year but not the difference between bridging the gap with Collingwood. Duncan this year and beyond is important with his run, carry and goal kicking ability from a wing/HFF with the loss of Ablett.

End of the day teams that have had a strong side over a number of years lose good players to other clubs. We've been pretty lucky that up until Ablett, which is an exceptional circumstance with the suns franchise, Mumford was the best of these and we got adequate compensation.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Mumford was still at Geelong

Back