If the VFL/AFL greatest team of all time, was selected today, who is in, and who is out of the team of the century

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon a third team with the likes of Dunstall, Pendlebury, Selwood, R. Harvey, N. Riewoldt, G. Jakovich, Rance, etc. wouldn't be too far behind this one either.

and despite doing a third team, I still forgot my favourite 'non Hawk' in Simon Black. Underrated champ who would definately make that side.

The only question with Royce Hart is whether you replace him with Carey or Buddy, not whether you actually retain him in the team.

Bourke and Dyer would also make way for modern players, GAJ being the most obvious of the lot.

Yes, agreed.

Something like this would still hold their own...

G. Southby, A. Rance, C. Enright
B. Doull, P. Knights, N. Buckley
C. Bradley, S. Mitchell, W. Schimmelbusch
D. Jarman, N. Riewoldt, J. Akermanis
G. Coventry, J. Dunstall, E. Betts
S. Madden, R. Harvey, S. Pendlebury
M. Ricciuto, J. Selwood, B. Hutchison, G. Dempsey

and that's with some biases and off the top of my head, recognising there were many champions before my time that don't immediately spring to mind.

Very tough to do.
You forgot Scarlett. He should be in that team instead of Rance.

Gary Jnr for Bourke
Carey for Hart
Judd for Dyer
Just show the good doctor where Richmond hurt you.
RCHT676.jpg

Williams is the most over rated player of all time - yes he played a great 95 GF

I probably watched 35 games of his approx at the SCG - living in Syd - how did he go in 86 and 87 in those big finals when the Swans went out in straight sets both years - didnt get a kick

What about 94 for Carlton in that upset finals loss to Geel at Waverly - Pickering put the absolute cleaners through him - Williams had an appalling record at Waverly because he was as slow as treacle

Kevin Bartlett - Bernie Quinlan - Barry Davis - Nathan Buckley - genuine superstars with pace - they are the length of the Randwick straight better footballers than Greg Williams - and as i said i did watch him live in about 35-40 games live at the SCG - so im qualified to give my opinion

It is an absolute myth that Williams is a great player - i wouldnt have him in the best 100 ever - no way

Lockett, Plugger, Dusty, Buddy, GAJ, Judd, Scarlett, Rance, D Cox are all locks. Everything else is debatable except Coventry, couldn’t get in before so no way he’s getting in now.
Good to see you've reflected and removed Hodge, McLeod, Betts, Voss and Buckley from your original list.

And Carey still misses out (in your informed opinion).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew McLeod as a great running half back?

Barassi, Dyer, Whitten are elevated due to their repuatation and off field charisma. None are in the best 22 players ever based on what they did on field. Bourke and Nicholls were tough, but again overrated. Also, Buddy > Jezza. Better player, for longer.

In- Scarlett, Matera, Carey, Lockett, GAJ, Judd
Out- Nicholls, Bourke, Jezza, Whitten, Dyer

FB: Smith Silvani Doull
HB: Murray Scarlett Greig
C: Matera Stewart Judd
HF: Bunton Carey Reynolds
FF: Lockett Coleman Matthews
F: Farmer GAJ Skilton
Int: Hart Barassi Ablett Williams
Buddy the sub.

No second ruck. Farmer could run all day with Lockett, Carey or Hart giving him a chop out.

Just as happy with McLeod on the HBF, Greig back to wing and Matera out.

Great team, thought D. Martin surely borderline at best?
The AFL actually nominated three players in each position in 1996 when there were in the process of selecting/nomination the TOTC. Some players were nominated in multiple positions. I think Peter Knights at CHB and HBF, Nichols as ruck and BP, for example, but Hudson and Coventry only at FF as they did not play anywhere else. So it was selected position by position (who are the two best FPs ever?) rather then trying to find a spot for someone like Hudson like they do with AA teams.

I personally think there are other better ways to differentiate players than "flags won", otherwise the likes of Skilton would get nowhere near these sides.

I chose to include Carey for his on field performances only which in my view, surpasses that of even the great Royce Hart.

I can make my argument but I don't wish to denigrate a champion in Hart and I think most footy pundits have Carey amongst the top 5 players of al time whilst Hart, as good as he was, is not quite in that echelon.

On 'character'? Definately Hart.

Flags alone should be the last thing looked at, some absolute spuds have won flags as role players...

If I could pick a team to play the original...(VFL/AFL only)..it might look something like:

FB: G. Wanganeen, M. Scarlett, J. Reagen
HB: A. McLeod, P. Roos, L. Hodge
C: R. Flower, M. Voss, P. Matera
HF: D. Martin, W. Carey, L. Franklin
F: P. Daicos, T. Lockett, P. Hudson
R: D. Cox, C. Judd, G. Ablett Jnr
I: K. Bartlett, J. Hird, A. Goodes, M. Pavlich

Modern bias but think this team would fair alright. Personally prefer Dunstall to Lockett but recognise Lockett is the popular choice.

Had about 1000 different names for the bench but removed my favourites and went with versatility.

Only missing the best AFL field kick the game has seen and arguably one of the greatest and most tagged midfielders to play the game.

N.Buckley.

Only missing the best AFL field kick the game has seen and arguably one of the greatest and most tagged midfielders to play the game.

N.Buckley.

Best field kick the game has seen? Pfft, ok.

I can see the argument for Buckley but he's simply not the best field kick the game has seen.

I'd probably have him in that team instead of someone like KB though.

Remove this Banner Ad

If the VFL/AFL greatest team of all time, was selected today, who is in, and who is out of the team of the century

Remove this Banner Ad

Back