If you were Gold Coast List Manager?

Remove this Banner Ad

old55

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Plenty of focus on clubs looking to acquire Prestia and O'Meara. What about putting yourself in Gold Coast List Manager position?

GC have a plethora of early picks already - looking at the pinned Draft order post
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2016-nominal-afl-draft-order.1136636/
It looks like they currently already have: 4, 8, 21, 22, 24, 27, 40
Not hard to see why more early picks are not high on the agenda.

With Prestia (pick 6 from Richmond?) and O'Meara seemingly gone and Swallow possible what would you be trying to achieve? KP talent looks very sound with Lynch, Wright, May. All mids leaving and some doubts about Ablett's full recovery so that's where the need is.

Midfield players and early 2017 picks are probably preferable to more early 2016 picks.

If i was list manager, would be asking for a crap load of dollars to continue going into the academy program so i could keep drafting Queensland kids who do not want to leave after 2 to 4 years.

If i was list manager, would be asking for a crap load of dollars to continue going into the academy program so i could keep drafting Queensland kids who do not want to leave after 2 to 4 years.
We will have a few on our list next year. Jesse Joyce just resigned as well

Should be shaking every clubs tree with offers for mids and see what falls.
Hartlett, Ah Chee, Murdoch, Barlow, DeGoey, Steele, Hrovat, MaCrae, Lennon, and a few of Sudney's younger brigade are all players I would target.

If they could bring in hartlett, Ah Chee, Murdoch and Barlow while loosing only Prestia and OMeara you think it would be a decent trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great young spine about to enter their prime. Still have some good younger players on their list. Across this draft/trade period I would go for 3/4 experienced mids and the rest on draft/academy.

I would look to target that 2nd tier mid at clubs that will be middle of the road beyond 2016.

That pick 8 as the main chip which isn't super early yet still in the top 10 for the likes of Sidebottom, Cunnington, Gibbs and Rockliff might be an avenue they can explore.

They're all guys you can bank on getting 25-30 times no matter what system they're in and can at least provide some support for Gaz.

Given the plethora of Picks GC have, they need to trade in mature talent, players that choose to play for them rather than hit the draft hard, will be a rinse and repeat scenario in 3-4 years time.

Players they should target.

Rockliff, Hartlett, Ah Chee, Broomhead, Oxley, Conca, B.Ellis, Barlow, Mayne, Walters

Last edited:
I would look to target that 2nd tier mid at clubs that will be middle of the road beyond 2016.

That pick 8 as the main chip which isn't super early yet still in the top 10 for the likes of Sidebottom, Cunnington, Gibbs and Rockliff might be an avenue they can explore.

They're all guys you can bank on getting 25-30 times no matter what system they're in and can at least provide some support for Gaz.

I think you're on the right track there with 2nd ranked mids at clubs looking to re-build. So Cunnington, Gibbs and Rockliff are options that GC could offer generous picks for - could make a Godfather deal by throwing in one of those picks in the 20s along with pick 8. Timing isn't quite right for Collingwood and Richmond re-builds with Buckley and Hardwick clinging on so it's probably hard to get access to their 2nd ranked mids this year e.g. Sidebottom, Cotchin.

Remove this Banner Ad

If you were Gold Coast List Manager?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back