Implications for Victorian fans of a relocation to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Amongst all the debate and angst about a possible relocation to the Gold Coast, in my view there are some sobering statistics that need to be taken into account, if we are to make a proper assessment of what is best for Victorian fans of the North Melbourne Football Club.

In my view, if North is relocated to the Gold Coast, then inevitably the club each year will play 12 games in Queensland, 4 to 6 in the other states and the converse here in Melbourne/Geelong. For simplicity lets assume 12 in Queensland, 5 in Victoria and 5 in SA, WA and Sydney.

The Herald Sun on Sunday gave the breakup of Free to Air versus Foxtel and Brisbane is the club we need to compare with. Fitzroy supporters following Brisbane will get to see their team live in action and FTA a maximum of 9 times this year. Our good friend Roylion has documented this on the Brisbane board and I hope he doesn't mind me pinching it, as follows:

Using the guides provided by both Foxtel and on the AFL site, Victorian supporters of the Brisbane Lions without pay-TV will be watching just nine Lions games for the season either live or on free-to-air.

Rd 2 vs. St Kilda (Gabba) - FTA
Rd.5 vs. Carlton (Telstra Dome)
Rd. 8 vs Essendon - (Telstra Dome) - FTA
Rd.10 vs. Richmond - (Telstra Dome)
Rd.11 vs. Western Bulldogs (Gabba) - FTA
Rd.12 vs. Geelong (Skilled Stadium)
Rd.17 vs. Collingwood (MCG) - FTA
Rd.19 vs. Geelong (Gabba) - FTA

Five FTA games, two of which are in Melbourne.

So in my view this is what we ultimately face if we do not have or cannot afford to purchase a Foxtel subscription.

As I have said on other posts before, if we continue to follow a relocated North, we will become very much part time supporters.

For me the message is clear, we muct fight tooth and nail to remain a Melbourne based club, for the alternative is just totally unaccaeptable. This is why I chose to support the North Melbourne Football Club in 1997 when Fitzroy for me for all intents and purposes became extinct as an AFL Club.

Your assessment is spot on there. Victorian networks wont want to show a GC product.

Victorian networks are showing the b/w filth 19 times this season.... North ahve been a part-time team for a few seasons on FTA in Melbourne. :mad:

To be continually verbally ridiculed is another episode that we poor North supporters have to cope with. :thumbsdown:

Our good friend Roylion has documented this on the Brisbane board and I hope he doesn't mind me pinching it

Not at all. I'm of the opinion that if North Melbourne did relocate, that what is currently happening to Fitzroy supporters that support the Lions, will happen to Victorian Kangaroos supporters sooner or later.

For me the message is clear, we muct fight tooth and nail to remain a Melbourne based club

I hope you do for as long as you can. However IF matters became so dire that a relocation or merger became imperative, then a decision between an interstate relocation and a Melbourne based merger may have to be made. As we've seen with the Swans and Fitzroy, there's pros and cons for each.

Sorry fpr being blunt, but a re-location for this Victorian North fan would have the positive implication of getting my golf handicap into single figures and following Melbourne Victory more closely.

Sorry fpr being blunt, but a re-location for this Victorian North fan would have the positive implication of getting my golf handicap into single figures and following Melbourne Victory more closely.

How depressing. You're saying that you'd be left with a choice of watching grass grow and,well, watching grass grow.

How depressing. You're saying that you'd be left with a choice of watching grass grow and,well, watching grass grow.

Agreed 100%
Fitzroy, is already gone, taken over by Brisbane.
( What p1sses me off being an old Fitzroy supporter is that people say its a merger, when it isn't)

I'll stil have the Melbourne Storm, Victory to follow.
My Local Footy team, and VPL team.

I would still support them...as a member
Im disilusioned with the sport as it is played now, but im North Melbourne through and through. Gees when l was growing up l copped that much crap from other supporters because we were ********e that ive become to stubborn to give up on them all together.
l thought that was the North Melbourne way.
Im all for Melbourne but if we relocate that means North Melbourne playing more away game we only get 9 home games now there wont be any alegience change here. If that jumper is the same and l can watch my team five or so less times a year live, nothing changes for me.
As l see it every other week our club will be interstate in five years anyway to offset the fact the AFL sell the TV rights with numbers both bums on seats and viewers. The big clubs in melb will play each other more theres currently seven return games the big four play each other nearly twice every year anyway Collingwood Essendon Richmond Carlton and St Kilda and dare l say in a few years with there list Hawthorn are pulling crowds where they and the AFL will get better exposure. Im not sure we have the pulling power and wont be part of that as it stands currently as we dont have a good brand to sell or watch. So we accomodate every other club by playing interstate as do the Bullys as do Melb so l struggle to see how less exposure will be a way forward for our club considering the fixturing and the fact both 7 and 10 tried there best to not include us in any structuring of games on there network which tells me we arent a brand thats worthy to them they know the numbers and didnt want us that alarms me.
So then l started thinking Put yourself into our marketing managers head......whats your sales pitch to a guy who wants exposure with what we have and the way our exposure is going.....it wouldnt be an easy sell if what lm suggesting above is the truth.
We need another Carey no doubt thats what sells memberships. Thats what keeps the wolves from the door thats what TV networks want. We dont have one. Thommo is closest in his appeal and marketabaility and he is great, but as much as he gets pumped up on here lets not kid ourselves he got 54 goals last year thats less than Jeff farmer and Anthony Rocca you would admit that they arent held in highest of regard on here yet Thommo gets pumped up on here because he is the best we have not because he is the best there is. We do get a bit carried away with our own....nothing wrong with that, but the facts are there.Im sure the ball movement didnt help but Im playing the Devils advocate here.
Its hard to say and im sure it wont be well received but id still prefer to see my club play if as suggested by the media thats nine games here nine on the Gold Coast and 4 elsewhere im not that precious to say l will give up on the club because if we dont we assume we will stay status quo with games in Melb l see us travelling more anyway to accomodate clubs with bigger Tv and bums on seat numbers than ours. to maximise the next TV rights deal which will be negotiated in three more AFL FIXtures.(its called that for a reason)
Its the same with relocating be objective and look at what is req`d and where we sit and we dont measure up to well as l see it i was embarresed with the final two years ago against Port Power.Im for the survival of my team and if that team plays away a few more games under its own terms on the gold oast as opposed to accomadating the current interstate teams then
its not my first option but its not the worst option.
Survival as we are may not be available to us as we stand now much longer. Those membership numbers are alarming, fortunately not reported in the media yet but im sure thats another vehicle they will drive when they notice how far we are lagging... so for me im not dead against the idea just because the way its always been is the best way..the best way may not be feasable. We have supported our club long enough to realise this day will come i`ve prepared myself...and ive decided lm staying even if there going.
I dont expect l will get much support but id like to think ive explained where l see us situated Ive been subjective and l hope the effort is appreciated and not canned because it doesnt suit your view. So if you disagree just say so with an explination as to what im not seeing because id prefer to be one who is all for staying but im not seeing it just for the sake of seeing it. What have all the proposed candidates said......" havent seen the books yet" etc...and that my friend is where the truth of our position lies. In every way its in the numbers that we dont have. (mind you neither did Shane Watson but he survived)

Remove this Banner Ad

Implications for Victorian fans of a relocation to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back