Improving the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with the draft isn't that the climax comes too early (despite what your girlfriend may tell you). It's that the actual process is staid and boring.

Everyone puts on a suit or a sponsor polo and sits at a little table waiting politely for the teacher to call their name. It should be more like a cattle roundup.

They should put all the nominees in a big pen, and then when the whistle blows, the team reps run in and grab what they can. Rules can be introduced to make it fair, eg only the head coach can actually grab the player, but others can block and shepherd.

This would introduce all sorts of excitement, such as:
- seeing Hardwick and Todd Viney whacking other coaches to let Clarko grab another four key position stars (by grabbing them around the knees);
- watching all the kids outrunning old man Craig to avoid having to go live in Adelaide;
- Matthew Knights dressing in white so he can sneak up on players unseen;
- it would remove the advantage of tanking for draft picks - all the bottom four teams could be released together (ie like the lottery system, but with the added bonus that you get to watch fatty Williams run).

2. All the teams representatives sit at desks arranged in a circle. Each team has a long telescopic pointer. If a club reads out the name of a player that another team wants to draft later, that team subtly taps the guy reading the name out on the head with the pointer and he reads another name.

I first seen this yesterday & nearly died due to lack of oxygen when laughing so hard. I looked at it again this morning at work & LOL'd to the point where other workmates gave me the "what's so funny?".

If ever i am feeling a bit down, i am going to refer to this thread.....

How about bringing back zones that clubs are responsible for. It would give football back to the community and would give a great boost to "grass roots" footy with more kids playing Aussie Rules at primary schools.
Communities would once again be the foundation of clubs and could once more identify with a club that represents them.
At the draft, clubs would be allowed to take say 3 players from their zone as priority picks and the rest of the order for draft picks would be via a lottery draw.

Probably the first few will just be televised from Melbourne, but once it is an established event they could look at moving it to more exotic locations, I guess.

What about Samoa? Or will that make the Tongans jealous?

OMG they did it Jeffrey.
Demtriyou stole you idea!

What are you going to do about it?
What are you going to do next?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Improving the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back