In All Preliminary Finals Where Does That One Rate ???

Remove this Banner Ad

topdon said:
Essendon Vs Adelaide 1993
Essendon Vs Brisbane 1996

I should grumble because it was last 10 years but yeh I hoped people had forgotten '93 ..Adelaide 43points up then Cornes takes off Hodges leaving Modra 1 out with 2 defenders making their job easier

I felt that was Adelaides chance as I didnt feel there was any 1 club that dominated and a flag in the 3rd year would have sent Vics running . but congrats to Essendon for not giving up

one of the best considering there was nothing in it the entire game, but nothing else compares to the 93 Prelim Ess v Adel.

Powerstufff said:
But for guts, bravery, determination, coaching skill, individual episodes of brilliance and all those other things that make a great game it was everything you would want footy to be.

I presume you are speaking of Mark and not Grant? Putting Max back on Tredrea was terrible

Bakes said:
I presume you are speaking of Mark and not Grant? Putting Max back on Tredrea was terrible
I was at the ground and I have yet to watch the tape, and see the game in a more relaxed light. So I can't comment on that viewpoint yet.
But I wouldn't put Thomas down after last night. Both coaches had to deal with mismatches, injuries etc. I reckon there were plenty of points Thomas had Chocco up to his ears and sinking. IMO both can hold their heads up.
I'll say this. Thomas was derided on his initial appointment to his job but jeez he has turned out to be an inspired appointment

Definitely one of the best. Absolutely nothing between the 2 sides all night.

Still, i'd rank it after:
1994 - Geel v Nth
1996 - Syd v Ess
1999 - Ess v Carl

Ted Pellitts said:
no idea, but if the essendon vs carlton prelim of 1999 wasn't number 1, then the guy is even stranger than i thought

That wasn't a particualrly outstanding game of Australian Football. Essendon wasn't at their best that day. What saved the game was the closeness and a classic finish.

Last night's game was a beauty, and one of the best games I have ever seen. the 1994 PF between Geelong and North Melbourne was a fantastic game that rivalled last night's game.

The 1997 PF between Adelaide and the Bulldogs was a bit of a scappy affair, as was the 1996 match between Essendon and Sydney, and the 2001 Ess vs Haw match.

Certainly, as far as great Preliimnary Finals go, last night's game 1994's and 1993's (Essendon vs Adelaide) match stand alone as the truly great games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Powerstufff said:
But I wouldn't put Thomas down after last night. Both coaches had to deal with mismatches, injuries etc. I reckon there were plenty of points Thomas had Chocco up to his ears and sinking. IMO both can hold their heads up.
A coaches primary job is to have his team ready to play. Thomas certainly won that first battle last night. But Chocco had the players believing in themselves, which they have done all season. After the disspointments of the past couple of years, the guy should be given tremendous credit for how he has kept this team together mentally. No doubt the club are feeling extemely vinidcated with their decision to re-sign him.

I'll say this. Thomas was derided on his initial appointment to his job but jeez he has turned out to be an inspired appointment
GT understands StKilda much like Chocco understands Port. It is something the critics of GT always fail to recognise.

kriles76 said:
Yes, perhaps the young'uns don't remember this one. A classic.

The 1987 PF was the most dramatic, heartbreaking, and gut-wrenching Preliminary Final of all time bar none. But don't ever be fooled into thinking it was a great game. It was windy, scrappy, and not conducive to top class Australian Rules Football.

Remove this Banner Ad

In All Preliminary Finals Where Does That One Rate ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back