In Hine we trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
It has been well documented Derek hine rarely fluffs up, to that we can almost all agree.

But one thing gets me worried about Derek and its as follows.

He was on the tac cup future stars show and he said this about Simon Buckley

We watched him closely from his under 18 days and were always keen on getting him post his melbourne days

This is my only knock on him but I do believe he will do very well,
What's everyone's thoughts

What's the point of this thread? The man himself admitted another other mistake earlier this year. It was Cox over Tippett.

No ones perfect and if you look at Buckley physically you can see why recruiters would like him. Good size, durability, decent wheels and a booming kick the one one problem is the one thing you can't improve on, the lack of a football brain. So I'll more than pardon Hine on that one.

LOLOLOLOL, are you really missing pick #85 that much?

Buckley was picked up by Melbourne in the same year that we traded for Wood and picked up McCarthy and Thoolen ahead of him. So clearly not the strongest draft to begin with.

Then when Melbourne delisted him, we thought he had some attributes (size, pace, long kicking) that were worth trying out given Melbourne's player development was non-existent at the time. We used pick #85. It didn't pan out but he's been in the senior side a few times here and there.

What are you worried about?

LOLOLOLOL, are you really missing pick #85 that much?

Buckley was picked up by Melbourne in the same year that we traded for Wood and picked up McCarthy and Thoolen ahead of him. So clearly not the strongest draft to begin with.

Then when Melbourne delisted him, we thought he had some attributes (size, pace, long kicking) that were worth trying out given Melbourne's player development was non-existent at the time. We used pick #85. It didn't pan out but he's been in the senior side a few times here and there.

What are you worried about?
I think he's worried about what we're going to do with pick 82 this year.

When I heard that he rated him when he was 1st draftee to Melbourne I was a tad worried, that is all.

We need him to really pick up 2 out of three guns pick 18 19 21
Even the 2nd rounders he can find gems

Actually, I was misinformed. Buckley was originally picked up in 2005 by Melbourne, not 2007. So we'd already taken Thomas, Pendles, Cook, Stanley, Anthony and passed on a selection before Buckley was taken.

Needless to say, we didn't rate him so highly back then that we ought to be worried that Hine's radar is off.

What a ridiculous thread... if you wanted to pick something out to get worried about, you have several options much better than #85 for a depth player that has come in and played games here and there when needed. A few of our first round picks have been pissed up against a brick wall... that's just the way it is.

And I will be wrapped if we get even one gun from our first 3 picks.

I don't think any Collingwood supporter would consider Hine infallible, but his record certainly holds up and he's highly regarded league wide for good reason. Hinging your concerns on the example of Simon Buckley is a little odd though, for reasons others have already mentioned.

As happy as we all are at the prospect of having three first round draft picks, I think most have some apprehension mixed in with the excitement. Even though there's a lot more work put into the draft and it has become less of a lottery, there are of course still no guarantees.

For a base pass mark I'm hoping that we manage to nail at least 2 long-term contributors from our first three picks, with hopefully at least one of them pushing top grade. At the very least we need two players who will match and hopefully exceed the output of both Wellingham and Dawes.

If we can bring in three long term senior players out of our five picks, I think most will look back on this trade/draft period as a success. If we do better than that, which will certainly be the goal, then Hinelujah!

I don't think I should be abused regarding this thread considering I'll be the first one to admit I love him, I'm just saying when I heard him rate Buckley it got me a tiny bit confused

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think I should be abused regarding this thread considering I'll be the first one to admit I love him, I'm just saying when I heard him rate Buckley it got me a tiny bit confused
I agree you shouldn't be abused for having an opinion, different opinions is the thing that makes this Board good reading.
But you should be challenged if you make a statement that can't be supported by the evidence, I think that is fair and adds to the discussion.

I agree you shouldn't be abused for having an opinion, different opinions is the thing that makes this Board good reading.
But you should be challenged if you make a statement that can't be supported by the evidence, I think that is fair and adds to the discussion.

This. If you say something that people take issue with, it's just as much their right to disagree as loudly as they like. I can't see any abuse here.

Anyway, Simon Buckley's still on an AFL list and has been getting games here and there in a bloody good side, so in spite of his flaws he's not a total wash. Based on history, Hine will pick up at least one good (or better) footballer from this draft. Might get two or three. I can't wait to see what we get, given how little he's had to work with for a while now.

I'll be very happy if Hine repeats his efforts of 2005 and 2008. We had high draft picks in 2005, and he delivered Pendles and Daisy, although we did less well with Danny Stanley at pick 21. 2008 was a boom draft for us with Steele and Beams, and Leigh Brown as the steak knives picked up at 73. But the truth is, some highish picks have not succeeded under Hine's watch, and the same with his predecessor Noel Judkins. It definitely is not an exact science. Having said that, it seems that Hine is good in other areas, such as the rookie draft, where we have done extremely well. Matt Rendell is also presumably contributing this year?

I'll be very happy if Hine repeats his efforts of 2005 and 2008. We had high draft picks in 2005, and he delivered Pendles and Daisy, although we did less well with Danny Stanley at pick 21. 2008 was a boom draft for us with Steele and Beams, and Leigh Brown as the steak knives picked up at 73. But the truth is, some highish picks have not succeeded under Hine's watch, and the same with his predecessor Noel Judkins. It definitely is not an exact science. Having said that, it seems that Hine is good in other areas, such as the rookie draft, where we have done extremely well. Matt Rendell is also presumably contributing this year?
Hine's picks Top 30:

2004 - Chris Egan (#10)
2004 - Sean Rusling (#23)
2005 - Dale Thomas (#2)
2005 - Scott Pendlebury (#5)
2005 - Danny Stanley (#21)
2005 - Ryan Cook (#23)
2006 - Ben Reid (#8)
2006 - Nathan Brown (#10)
2006 - Chris Dawes (#28)
2008 - Steele Sidebottom (#11)
2008 - Dayne Beams (#29)
2009 - Luke Ball (#30) Probably doesn't really count :p

Not bad - 8 premiership players from 12 picks, 7 are still with the club, 2 have won B&Fs, and 4 have been named All-Australian for us.

I wouldn't be panicking with 18, 19 and 21 in Hine's hands...

every recruiter has made a lot of mistakes over the years. How many top 10 draft picks never come on? quiet a few each year.

There has been some talk about Collingwood possibly looking at bundeling picks 17, 18 and 20 for a pick 3 (GWS) or 4 (Melb).

I am not a big fan of this strategy.

Yes, the 3rd or 4th pick in this year's draft should all but guarantee you a jet however it also presents its own share of conundrums.

What if as history has shown, that the pick "3 or 4" player either doesn't turn out to be a star or is culled by injury (e.g. Luke Livingston -#4/2000 draft, Graham Polak - #4/2001, Tim Walsh - #4/2002, Richard Tambling - #4/2004, Beau Dowler - #6/2005, Scott Gumbleton - #2/2006).

All the kudos we have won this post-season by obtaining free agents and trading for players with "currency" can potentially be for nothing.

To be honest, I think that most footy lovers who have half an idea about the draft could select the top 5 without too much fuss (of course some may look a "position specific" as opposed to "best available" player).

The true worth of football recruiters and their staff comes in picking up the gems once they fall outside the top bracket of selections. The countless hours that are spent critiquing every single aspect of a footballer's life both on and off the field means that ever the greatest detail of planning does not guarantee success.

Personally, I'd be looking at keeping our three first round picks and letting Hine & Co. off the leash.

With one pick it may or may not turn out a long term success. With three picks (mind you 3 of 4 picks in a row) I'd like to think that a greater chance of getting it right.

Hine's picks Top 30:

2004 - Chris Egan (#10)
2005 - Dale Thomas (#2)
2005 - Ryan Cook (#23)
2006 - Ben Reid (#8)
2006 - Chris Dawes (#28)
2008 - Dayne Beams (#29)

Not bad - 8 premiership players from 12 picks, 7 are still with the club, 2 have won B&Fs, and 4 have been named All-Australian for us.

and Have Rendell to Help him:D

People just don't get it. Simon Buckley is needed. He's an OK player, he can do some good things and have good games but he's prone to probably 2-3 blunders a game. But he has some good attributes. Under a salary you need this type of player. Can give you depth without hurting your cap. Same reason say Leigh Brown was far more valuable than Jaryd Roughhead who playe now similar roles. Leigh Brown won't hurt your cap for as a role player but Roughhead will for pretty much the same vakue to your team.

Hine's picks Top 30:

2004 - Chris Egan (#10)
2005 - Dale Thomas (#2)
2005 - Ryan Cook (#23)
2006 - Ben Reid (#8)
2006 - Chris Dawes (#28)
2008 - Dayne Beams (#29)

stanly cook egan and dawes are the only ones there who arnt stars.

Rusling would of been a star if not for ridiculous bad luck imo.

having 3 of em should guarentee us at least 2 very good players. No way would i trade all 3 for an upgrade.

Possibly would trade 19 and 21 for something higher

Remove this Banner Ad

In Hine we trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Back