In retrospect, how goshdarned awesome was the Swans/Eagles rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

We all know that real rivalries are built on AFL manufactured "Blockbuster" games and events from the past that most of us are too young to remember.

Was going to say, a 4-11 to 5-17 match from Nineteen-whenever the **** where "Tugger" Bingwall blindsided "Chugger" Thompson and there was a 2 minute donnybrook helps constitute a rivalry, but 2 of the most desperate Grand Finals in recent history are dismissed?

What's more, how exactly is this rivalry manufactured? You think Woosha and Roos met up in secret and decided that Roos could take the 05 Grand Final if the Eagles took the 06 and took a dive in the qualifier? Or that just for fun one team would cough up a lead at the last minute in a crucial match?

Hawthorn vs Geelong is a much greater rivalry, and generally, the results are 5+goals.

WCE vs Sydney recieved a lot of national coverage, which is the only thing that seperates it from any other series of games from any other teams in my opinion.
Why? Because it is your team?
How many great games has your rivalry produced?
How close was the GF?
How many finals and Grand finals have those teams played against each other?
Yep 5 goal wins on either side sure makes for great watching.

Yeah, looking back on it, there are a lot of great incidents in isolation that have become part of AFL folklore, but watching it at the time...? It wasnt a classic rivalry. The two grand finals, yeah they were close, but damn they were boring. I remembered sitting there watching, pretty much in a stupor. You could throw a blanket over the entire 36 players.

In comparison, Geelong vs. Port Adelaide and Geelong vs. Hawthorn were much more exciting and enjoyable to watch, for very different reasons.

When I think of great grand finals, I'll remember '01, '02, '08. 2005 and 2006 have virtually been erased from my memory. The only memorable thing from either grand final was Leo Barry's mark-slash-free kick not paid to Ashley Sampi. What else happened?

In comparison, Geelong vs. Port Adelaide and Geelong vs. Hawthorn were much more exciting and enjoyable to watch, for very different reasons.
this makes the rest of your post irrelevant. A flogging for 4 quarters was exciting was it? Poor soul your idea of exciting is warped.

Why cant people just enjoy the rivalry that has unfolded naturally between the Eagles and Sydney for what it is? Uncomprising, close tough football that was never over until the final siren. The sequence of games that occured have never happened in 100+ years of VFL/AFL, and most likely will never again occur.

Who cares if it isnt Carlton V Collingwood V Essendon, etc. Like someone else said, the wankfest that goes on about how the above teams have been playing each other for decades is pretty pointless. The current generation of Sydney and West Coast fans will always remember the remarkable events that occured in big games between these 2 teams, and even if others dont care to acknowledge it (for whatever pathetic reason) Sydney and West Coast fans will always see each other as old enemies that formed from the recent era.

i think there are a lot of victorian fans who are dismissive of this very genuine, very intense and very entertaining rivalry because it really is a posterchild for the national competition. every time this rivalry is discussed or aluded too on SEN there will always ben some meathead ringing in to say how a different vic v vic rivalry is better, then proceed to quote stats or past games from a bygone era and irrelevant time.

i think there are a lot of victorian fans who are dismissive of this very genuine, very intense and very entertaining rivalry because it really is a posterchild for the national competition. every time this rivalry is discussed or aluded too on SEN there will always ben some meathead ringing in to say how a different vic v vic rivalry is better, then proceed to quote stats or past games from a bygone era and irrelevant time.

Pretty much. A lot of people can't handle the fact that this happened between two non-Vic sides. If two Vic teams played a series of games like Sydney and West Coast did (and still are, actually), they'd go nuts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah, what a depressing thread.

Not the OP. The OP is right. It was great to watch. The games weren't close because of terrible skills, or a lack of intensity. They were that close because both sides played desperately from start to finish.

All the "wah, wah, that was so ugly" whinging is coming from people whose teams just weren't up to withstanding that sort of physical pressure, and who didn't have players skillful and smart enough to work around it. Tough t***ies.

All the "wah, wah, that was so ugly" whinging is coming from people whose teams just weren't up to withstanding that sort of physical pressure, and who didn't have players skillful and smart enough to work around it. Tough t***ies.

Actually the whinging is coming from people who like watching a decent match without a ball up every 3.5 seconds. Keep trying matey.

Actually the whinging is coming from people who like watching a decent match without a ball up every 3.5 seconds. Keep trying matey.

Heaven forbid a player tackle someone with the ball.

Some people just don't seem to get the idea of defensive pressure. It's a vital part of the game, and it's a skill in and of itself. It's not the easy way out.

Heaven forbid a player tackle someone with the ball.

Some people just don't seem to get the idea of defensive pressure. It's a vital part of the game, and it's a skill in and of itself. It's not the easy way out.

Who gives a shit? It is shit to watch when there 90% of both teams are around the ball. It's kind of like watching under 12s play.

Alas, now it's all about zone defence and essentially playing golf with the football. It's sad how people seem to want the tough one-on-one footy of earlier times, yet when that's the way WCE and Sydney played together, everyone complains about how it was boring. You can't have your cake and eat it too..

The profile of both clubs has dropped considerably but it hasn't changed the rivalry on the field. This season's game had another amazing finish and that's what most people want out of a football game.

Can't please 'em all, I suppose.

Everyone has a differet idea of what entertaining is.

For some reason close games are called a thriller, I wonder why?
Each to their own.

the rivalry is dead, it was/is overrated. Its a case of swans fans wanting a rivalry and wce fans having a rival club that can actually match them in terms of success. Port/Bris rivalry is pretty much finished now but in terms of classic matches and hard yet exciting footy, that wins hands down.

the rivalry is dead, it was/is overrated. Its a case of swans fans wanting a rivalry and wce fans having a rival club that can actually match them in terms of success. Port/Bris rivalry is pretty much finished now but in terms of classic matches and hard yet exciting footy, that wins hands down.
Stupid comment. How can the WC/Sydney rivalry be beaten by any other rivalry hands down?

Stupid comment. How can the WC/Sydney rivalry be beaten by any other rivalry hands down?

Like I said, in terms of tough hard footy and exciting matches, it just does. WCE/Syd were good games dont get me wrong but just because they finish so evenly after games doesnt make it a rivalry, to much respect paid to each other. Wheres the biff??

Remove this Banner Ad

In retrospect, how goshdarned awesome was the Swans/Eagles rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back