In retrospect, how goshdarned awesome was the Swans/Eagles rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney were not an" expansion franchise", they were (and perhaps still are) a Melbourne club team (South Melbourne) that were moved to Sydney to provide an AFL team in that city and ensure their own survival.

They are about as South Melbourne as Brisbane is Fitzroy.

Bolton's goal to win it by 5 happened in 08 not 07.

Basically we have this:

1. Qualifying Final, Subiaco, 2005
WCE 10.9 (69)
SYD 10.5 (65)
Memorable moment: Controversial free kick against Leo Barry, one last roll of the dice for the Swans, falls short.

2. Grand Final, MCG, 2005
SYD 8.10 (58)
WCE 7.12 (54)
Memorable moment: Redemption for Barry as he takes an absolute screamer to save the game for the Swans and secure their first premiership in 72 years.

3. Round 15, Subiaco, 2006
WCE 9.13 (67)
SYD 9.11 (65)
Memorable Moment: Controversial late goal to the Eagles with C. Bolton claiming he got his hand to it, with the replay showing it was aweful close.

4. Qualifying Final, Subiaco, 2006
SYD 13.7 (85)
WCE 12.12 (84)
Memorable Moment: Lead had changed all day, and Micky got a kind bounce to slot the final goal and give it to the cheersquad.

5. Grand Final, MCG, 2006
WCE 12.13 (85)
SYD 12.12 (84)
Memorable Moment: Grand Final replay, the Eagles over the line by a point in a classic.

6. Round 1, Telstra Stadium, 2007
WCE 11.8 (74)
SYD 10.13 (73)
Memorable Moment: Having trailed all day the Swans made a late surge, and could have kicked for goal if Kerr hadn't made a brilliant run down tackle on McVeigh.

7. Round 16, Subiaco, 2007
WCE 16.16 (112)
SYD 15.10 (100)
Memorable Moment: Cousins' return to AFL football with his first game of the year marked the first margin between the two teams greater than one goal.

8. Round 4, ANZ, 2008
SYD 16.11 (107)
WCE 5.15 (45)
Memorable Moment: Barry Hall's king hit on Staker made headlines around the world and continued to fuel the brewing rivalry between the two teams.

9. Round 11, Subiaco, 2008
SYD 12.11 (83)
WCE 11.12 (78)
Memorable Moment: The Swans having never been in front found the ball in the hands of Jude Bolton with just over a minute remaining to win the game for the Swans. He slotted it.

Who says the rivalry is dead?

And I'd argue it's still going!

Everitt's goals last year, Jack's late one in 09 I think, the only blow out probably being the win in 2010 where Bolton played his last game for the Swans; but it all means the Eagles haven't beaten us since 2007

Extremely bias historic write up there. There was just a much controversy with Barry's mark in the GF (with two clear frees missed to Judd and Sampi) as you claim there was in the other "Controversial" Eagles win.

They are about as South Melbourne as Brisbane is Fitzroy.

Not exactly, the whole South Melbourne club moved north and became the Sydney Swans whereas Brisbane was an existing club which swallowed up Fitzroy as well. They call it a "merger" but realistically it was just a convenient way to get rid of the Roy boys.

Back on topic, this was my favourite WCE v SYD game and certainly not unattractive at all:

Not exactly, the whole South Melbourne club moved north and became the Sydney Swans whereas Brisbane was an existing club which swallowed up Fitzroy as well. They call it a "merger" but realistically it was just a convenient way to get rid of the Roy boys.

Back on topic, this was my favourite WCE v SYD game and certainly not unattractive at all:

lol at the Annotations on screen after Micky O kicked the winning goal!!!

Looking forward so much to next week's game - should be an absolute belter.

A credit to both clubs we're both back up there and abouts while so many other clubs have bungled along over the same time.

I never liked watching swans games and i dont look forward to next week, even though i'm confident we'll win. The game will be locked down, scrappy, flooded and the natural talent and flair of our best players like cox, nicnat and kerr wont be on show. The highlights video will be 30 seconds long and consist mostly of set shots at goal.

I never liked watching swans games and i dont look forward to next week, even though i'm confident we'll win. The game will be locked down, scrappy, flooded and the natural talent and flair of our best players like cox, nicnat and kerr wont be on show. The highlights video will be 30 seconds long and consist mostly of set shots at goal.

Sydney are a bit different now when they arent under Roos (not that they were doing anything wrong before.) Still a bit tough and close quarter-like, but also alot more free flowing. have alot more run from defense as well.

Sydney are a bit different now when they arent under Roos (not that they were doing anything wrong before.) Still a bit tough and close quarter-like, but also alot more free flowing. have alot more run from defense as well.
Shhhh, let him learn first hand.
I like it that most people shun Sydney and as such have no real idea of what our game is like at the moment. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that Jetta, what a scraggy tagger.

2005/2006 was like watching paint dry , a close game doesn't always mean a good game . 4 quarters of rolling scrums = shit football

2005/2006 was like watching paint dry , a close game doesn't always mean a good game . 4 quarters of rolling scrums = shit football
You've gotta be kidding me. A Melbourne supporter telling us that the 05 and 06 GFs were shit football. You've been watching your team play shit football for so long now I think it has affected your perspective.

lol, you go for Melbourne, watching them play is like watching paint dry.
Jack Watts = shit football
What has supporting Melbourne and Jack Watts got to do with this thread ? I'm just stating a preference
for fast open footy , not boring grind-fests . And you're right Melbourne are awful to watch at the moment , but football in cyclical , it's the nature of the beast .

You've gotta be kidding me. A Melbourne supporter telling us that the 05 and 06 GFs were shit football. You've been watching your team play shit football for so long now I think it has affected your perspective.
Once again , what has this got to do with the price of eggs ?

**** those were some boring Grand finals, like watching Freo play Freo in 2012, glad Geelong came along and made footy attractive again!
Yep how boring was Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Cox - those guys played such unattractive footy.

Funny how 06 is called boring. Scoreline was 85-84 - and both sides had halves on dominance kicking 8 goals in a half.

07 GF. Excitement plus that one, biggest flogging ever in a GF.
08 GF. Geelong only manage 89 - a whole 5 points more than those boring eagles and swans.
09 GF. Both sides scored less than swans and eagles in 06. But they were Vic so it was exciting tough footy.
10 GF. Awesome draw! Both sides only manage 68 points. Wow. Go Vics!
11 GF. 6 goal win. Edge of the seat stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

In retrospect, how goshdarned awesome was the Swans/Eagles rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back