Indigenous AFL Team to play Ireland in Ireland, but Ireland prefer the best players from the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
”afl.com.au” said:
When asked if non-indigenous players would be disappointed they were not eligible for this year's series, McLachlan said, "The players have had plenty of chances historically to represent Australia in the International Rules series and haven't been available."

So Jaeger O’Meara (say) isn’t allowed to represent Australia because certain white Australians didn’t embrace the concept in previous years. That is like an AFL club saying that they won’t recruit any more Indigenous players because Liam Jurrah didn’t make the most of his chance at AFL level.

So Jaeger O’Meara (say) isn’t allowed to represent Australia because certain white Australians didn’t embrace the concept in previous years. That is like an AFL club saying that they won’t recruit any more Indigenous players because Liam Jurrah didn’t make the most of his chance at AFL level.

Oh give it a rest..Gillon is spot on here - how many times did we see the likes of Carey, Lockett and co make themselves unavailable wither of their own accord or by instruction of the clubs?

---------------------------

Anyone playing AFL that could represent Australia in the team , thats NOT Indigenous , thats who..... PLUS all fair minded Australians who hate racism , thats who .

It is incredibly insulting to call this racism, it's not in the same ballpark, league or even sport as racism. Why are you really angry about it?

Hopefully they rotate it amongst the different categories of player...

2013 Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islanders v Ireland
2014 Players of European Heritage v Ireland
2015 Redheads v Ireland
2016 Lefthanders v Ireland
2017 Tattooed Players v Ireland
2018 Players without an E in their Surname v Ireland

You forgot footballers with beards v Ireland ;)

Seriously though, agree with others that this is racist.

It is incredibly insulting to call this racism, it's not in the same ballpark, league or even sport as racism. Why are you really angry about it?

rac·ism

/ˈrāˌsizəm/
Noun
  1. The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
  2. Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

What's the difference every player that is not aboriginal (not just Anglo-saxon) is excluded for what reason exactly? There is no logical reason for the team to be comprised of only those players of aboriginal heritage.

It's an Indigenous Australian Team vs Ireland

It's not Australia vs Ireland with only Indigenous players eligible to play - It's semantics but there is a point here -

Also, the 12k and 20k crowds that attended the last International Rules Series here in Australia suggests that no one here actually gives a f*ck about the whole concept...

To all those people so terribly offended by this, get in touch with some of the players who feel the same way as you do and lodge a complaint with the Australian Human Rights Commission.

Perhaps you could hold a benfit gig as a fundraiser, shame that Ian Donaldson's dead.

The AFL are a f***ing disgrace and Demetriou needs to be sacked.

I really hope that the Irish decide to can the whole serious as it has become a farce of little meaning and no importance. If the AFL is not going to take it seriously then why should the Irish.

Demetriou and McLachlan you are racist pigs of the highest order and the fact that you are running the biggest sport in this country is a blight on the game as a whole.

The AFL are a f***ing disgrace and Demetriou needs to be sacked.

I really hope that the Irish decide to can the whole serious as it has become a farce of little meaning and no importance. If the AFL is not going to take it seriously then why should the Irish.

Demetriou and McLachlan you are racist pigs of the highest order and the fact that you are running the biggest sport in this country is a blight on the game as a whole.
I remember when I had my first beer.

When asked if non-indigenous players would be disappointed they were not eligible for this year's series, McLachlan said, "The players have had plenty of chances historically to represent Australia in the International Rules series and haven't been available."

Say I own a store. One day, I find a black employee stealing money out of the till, so not only do I fire him, I vow to never hire a black man ever again.

How is that different to what's happening here?

Say I own a store. One day, I find a black employee stealing money out of the till, so not only do I fire him, I vow to never hire a black man ever again.

Because you're telling the black man who turns up to the interview to replace him that you won't employ him because he is black.

Do this in the real world and the AFL would be dragged up in front of the racial discrimination board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is black. only black people can be victims of racism. pretty sure the AFL have made this clear. ;)

It will be interesting to see if there is any media who are willing to write articles saying how it is racist. ive got my money on the media having no balls.

"Sorry you can't play because of your race"
It's as much their nationality as their race. You can't play for Ireland either because of your race/nationality, what's the problem?

He is black. only black people can be victims of racism. pretty sure the AFL have made this clear. ;)

It will be interesting to see if there is any media who are willing to write articles saying how it is racist. ive got my money on the media having no balls.
I have money on the media having more sense.

Former opera critic, Andrew Bolt, not included.

Because you're telling the black man who turns up to the interview to replace him that you won't employ him because he is black.

Do this in the real world and the AFL would be dragged up in front of the racial discrimination board.
So if a white player asks the AFL why he can't play in the game against Ireland this year, their reason will be?

Disgraceful.
Blatant racism and discrimination against white Australians.
This should be a case for the anti discrimination board.

Do people think it racist that Wales and Scotland exclude English players from Britain from their teams?

Same principle with indigenous teams.

The rest of the league isn't made up of only white people, as you guys keep saying what about the white people, do I have reasons to call you racist for ignoring some of our African/Australian and Asian/Australian players. The concept is about dead, the Indigenous are best suited to the type of game it is and they are just trying to get some interest, which if you look at all you guys sooking, seems to have worked for now, any publicity is good publicity

How many top tier players declare them selves unavailable every time, by using the indigenous players Im assuming they are trying to draw on there sense of pride to represent there people, as well as all of Australia in a series, which by doing so could lure all the big names, Rioli, Franklin, Goodes and Jetta etc etc.

Plenty of blokes have had the chance and turned down there shot to play for Australia, I get the feeling some of the indigenous boys will be jumping at the chance to play with each other and represent just what being an indiginous Australian means to them

P.S get the F*ck over it you sooky lala's Most of you dont care about the series any way

I'm trying to be offended as a white Australian but I'm not.
Bring it on.
Australia not putting the best teams on the park have allowed this new side to take over.
This is indigenous Australia v Ireland not Australia v Ireland.

If we gave a rats arse about this game and put our best side on the park then I would be offended over this new side, but we didn't and I'm not.

I'm trying to be offended as a white Australian but I'm not.
Bring it on.
Australia not putting the best teams on the park have allowed this new side to take over.
This is indigenous Australia v Ireland not Australia v Ireland.

If we gave a rats arse about this game and put our best side on the park then I would be offended over this new side, but we didn't and I'm not.

We should just turn this into a tournament.

We can have teams for Indigenous Australia, British Australia, Greek Australia, Chinese Australia, Indian Australia. Why should we all be considered the same regardless of our skin colour or race? That would be true equality, and we can't have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back