****ing umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

It was quite clear the frustration of the players at the umpiring after the throw out of the tackle to goal in the last.... How that is correct disposal is beyond me.

Birch showed leadership to get the boys to refocus but to say it doesn't affect their game is incorrect.

Didn't say there was no affect on the game, clearly every decision made by a player or umpire has an influence in one way or the other. My contention is simply that Hawthorn was responsible for their fade-out.

Atleast we still managed to win despite the umpires. Poor old Gold Coast are getting absolutely wrecked by the umpires at the moment and would potentially be right in the game if it weren't for a few terrible decisions. Could be worse!

Bitch'n about the umpiring, especially after a win, really only reflects poorly on ourselves. Ffs, just cop it on the chin, it's classier.
Sorry mate, but I respectfully disagree wih you 1000% percent (yep 1000, not 100).

I've tried to just move on and appreciate wins, but last night was the final straw, and I joined this forum last night just to say enough is enough.

Yes we werent convincing over 4 quarters, but first quarter we killed them, 2nd and 3rd, we still beat them and they are a bloody good side. But the umpiring, especially in the last quarter, was RIDICULOUS.

See if you feel the same way if we get umpired like that in a GF and we lose because of decisions like last night?

I respect your opinion, just totally disagree that we have to cop this crap on the chin to look classy. If I'm getting butt raped, I dont have to smile and look classy about it.

Didn't say there was no affect on the game, clearly every decision made by a player or umpire has an influence in one way or the other. My contention is simply that Hawthorn was responsible for their fade-out.

Of course we were responsible for our lack luster last term. But who could blame them, up by a safe margin with September action beginning next week.

Oh and to be honest, the umpires were a ****ing disgrace!

One point here on Buddy. He has improved his tackling greatly, and now doesn't give away half as many frees as he used to. However, I hate it when he legally tackles an opponent from the side with his arms wrapped around and both players go to ground, with no back pressure from Buddy. He still gets penalised for in the back, fo others it's play on.

No Brownlow votes for Mitch last night, the umpires despised him.

I was stunned most of the time by the decisions being made...

It was just an absolute shambles....

Where's Goldspink?????;);)

glad i was not the only one that noticed the pathetic excuse for match rigging... i mean sorry inconsistent umpiring by accident.

I went to the game on Friday night and was appalled at the umpiring. They cut of our flow and made us look slow.

Today I watched the match again on replay. The umpires were okay. It was the WCE who took it up to us and made us play the way we did. They were good in the last three quarters.

What do you expect when playing one of the other top teams in the AFL? As Clarkson said after the game, you've got to expect ebbs and flows. In the end our guys were exhasted and, in retrospect (although it didn't feel like it to me at the time), they iced it very well. We had a few injuries and were run off our feet, yet we still managed to stop their run.

As for the umpiring. Get used to it. That's the way it's going to be in the finals.

glad i was not the only one that noticed the pathetic excuse for match rigging... i mean sorry inconsistent umpiring by accident.

It has been thus for Hawthorn for years. Remember Goldspink in the 2001 prelim against Esssendon. Mclaren in Essendon games. McBurney for years and also McInerny. McBurney umpired both this years Geelong games. Add in this years nasty fixture and you would have to think that somebody up there does not like us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the game on Friday night and was appalled at the umpiring. They cut of our flow and made us look slow.

Today I watched the match again on replay. The umpires were okay. It was the WCE who took it up to us and made us play the way we did. They were good in the last three quarters.

What do you expect when playing one of the other top teams in the AFL? As Clarkson said after the game, you've got to expect ebbs and flows. In the end our guys were exhasted and, in retrospect (although it didn't feel like it to me at the time), they iced it very well. We had a few injuries and were run off our feet, yet we still managed to stop their run.

As for the umpiring. Get used to it. That's the way it's going to be in the finals.

That's the disappointing thing with finals for me. The so called 'premier umpires' are the ones who many fans think are the worst because they have to make a point of involving themselves in the game. Jordan Bannister is clearly the best umpire running around at the moment and deserves the GF but the umpiring department is too much of a boys club for proper changes to be made...

Former players always make the best umpires. The AFL really needs to look at players who get delisted or those with superb aerobic fitness but can no longer endure the rough and tumble of playing. Make an attractive option for them to take up umpiring rather than get fat in the country leagues. Umpiring, and the game, would be better for it.

This would make the most sense, but ex players cant bounce the ball, which we all know is the most important trait in an umpire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back