Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Blakely will be back in no time. Round 8ish right? We play North, GC, Saints, WC, GWS, Bulldogs, Adelaide, Richmond.

We'll more than likely win GC, Saints while North, Bulldogs and maybe even Richmond are winnable

GWS and Adelaide are the favourites in those games but even then I can see a world where we beat Adelaide.

If Mundy can handle the load, Brayshaw and Cerra step up and maybe even a Valente or North can come into the midfield I think we can handle life without Blakely for the start of the season./

Also do we qualify for a LTI replacement with Blakely out?

Blakely will be back in no time. Round 8ish right? We play North, GC, Saints, WC, GWS, Bulldogs, Adelaide, Richmond.

We'll more than likely win GC, Saints while North, Bulldogs and maybe even Richmond are winnable

GWS and Adelaide are the favourites in those games but even then I can see a world where we beat Adelaide.

If Mundy can handle the load, Brayshaw and Cerra step up and maybe even a Valente or North can come into the midfield I think we can handle life without Blakely for the start of the season./

Also do we qualify for a LTI replacement with Blakely out?
Re: LTI we can promote Carter but can’t see that happening. Otherwise all other rookies are good to go.

With regards to Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) between Dec 1 and Mar 15 the clubs need to have a Rookie list space available or in the case of Docherty place him into a new inactive list (till the end of the season) because he isn’t available for 2019 AFL Season due to injury.

There a few players training with clubs such as Sydney Stack as Richmond have a list space available.

There is also the mid season rookie draft. Date yet to be confirmed and reverse order at the time of the draft.

Therefore at this point we won’t be adding any new players. We might have a bite at the mid-season draft if we have suffered a season ending injury. Let’s hope both Blakey and SHill are both up and firing by the time the mid-season draft is confirmed.

Hagdorn reporting this morning that Nat Fyfe requires minor surgery to drain a bursitis inflammation on his elbow. He will miss two week of training only, but he may have to pull out of this horrible AFLX thingy.
Ole crumpets was quite reasonable this morning. I have avoided him for sometime but caught him due to an earlier start. He told everyone to untie their knickers and not a major issue for Fyfe - prob won’t even disrupt training but will likely disrupt this AFLX thing which would be a blessing in disguise. Fyfe can stand on the sidelines and fiddle with his newly chopped hair and let the cobblers get to work.

Don't be afraid to quote where you predicted Mundy would evolve into an A grade mid, or where you predicted Melbourne would include centre bounces in Hogan's job description.

Reality is for those two guys is that they are not locked in best 22. Become multi-positional and they probably can be.
Mundy was already a gun halfback when he went into the middle. Hogan in the middle is like Pav in the middle usually somethings gone wrong.

I am sure we will see a few different guys tried in the match sims over the next month or so. Brayshaw, Bewley, North or even Banfield will probably get a crack and maybe Tucker. Could be someone out of the blue like Logue though I doubt it. Not the ideal thing to happen, but better now than during the season. At the end of the day we will handle it better than we would have in the past few years.

Not ideal and ruins an almost excellent preseason, but why are so many people having kittens about this? It's hardly fyfe/walters level of loss.

Think you're selling Blakely short. He's obviously not in Fyfe's league but is amongst our ten most important players IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez, the structural changes associated with having Lobb and Hogan forward will far outweigh the (possible) structural downside of not having Blakely. Not sure what you are on about but this is not massive IMO, structurally or otherwise

This time last week our starting midfield for 2019 was Sandilands/Darcy + Fyfe + Blakely + Walters/Mundy/Conca/Brayshaw/Cerra/etc rotating through there. Now there's a heap of pressure on both Mundy to stay at the level he has been for the last decade and for Brayshaw and/or Cerra to really step up.

This time last week our starting midfield for 2019 was Sandilands/Darcy + Fyfe + Blakely + Walters/Mundy/Conca/Brayshaw/Cerra/etc rotating through there. Now there's a heap of pressure on both Mundy to stay at the level he has been for the last decade and for Brayshaw and/or Cerra to really step up.

I think it is a great opportunity for Banfield who has the size and midfield experience to drop the tagging and take it up a notch in the middle. I think he could be a standout given the opportunity.

Is there anyone left out there who want to defend our fitness staff? Yet another serious soft tissue injury that they are responsible for. It isn't just bad luck.

Shock horror, injury prone player does a preseason hammy

Sack them all!

Stick Conca in the guts and with Brayshaw we will have a balanced midfield for once

I think it is a great opportunity for Banfield who has the size and midfield experience to drop the tagging and take it up a notch in the middle. I think he could be a standout given the opportunity.
Yeah, Banfield's a frekin' beast now. He's grown to 190cms and 90kgs with a month left of the pre-season. Could start the season around 91-92 kgs.

He's a big lad.

Is Bewley like for like with Blakely? He seems more of a running outside mid with a decent hoof.
I would have thought that North, Brayshaw or Tucker would be better inside mids as backups to Fyfe and Mundy.
Classified as a wingman by the club info, so could be used as a centreman. A big strong body ,ready made for AFL.

Mundy is an old man but he is our man. In pavs last few years he would turn back the clock for the early rounds then start to wain as the season went on. 8 rounds is perfect for Mundy. Flog him for 4 rounds. Then move him to half back as S Hill is ready to move inside then play him off the bench when Connor is back

The first half of the season will be getting everyone to gel together .we will be introducing conca,lobbe,hogan,colyer and possibly brewley and some more young guys into the team that may have a good jlt series. Loosing Blakely hurts but all these new guys will take time to gel. It’s not make or break without just one player. Good teams cover and freo is developing depth. We might see some new guy come in and have a killer first few games and then think Blakely ?who the hells that ?

Posters melting already, ffs he’s one man, as others have mentioned Mundy will do what he does for the first six rounds or so and pick up the slack, I reckon we’ll be ok.

He's one man?? and what slack?? Mundy was a mid in 2016 and 2017 and that didn't really help our results. I know people on here are careful about being too optimistic or pessimistic but surely you're allowed to be disappointed when a key player goes down?? Especially in a position where we lack quality.

2018 Fremantle wins - Blakely (13 games)

Essendon - 30 touches (Most)
GS - 21 touches (6th most)
Bulldogs - 23 touches (5th most)
ST Kilda - 35 touches (2nd most)
Adelaide - 30 touches (2nd most)
Carlton - 27 (3rd most)
Port - DNP
Carlton - DNP

Blakely was massive last season and he's a huge loss. Sorry for melting but it does suck that he's misses the pre-season and the first few rounds.

That all said it's only one week in football. We may see Cerra, AB or Tucker dominate the JLT series and we can enjoy being excited together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back